User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiring a lawyer/Suing

Entense Supporter

Hiring a lawyer/Suing

I was in a hit and run accident on August 12th.

Long story short, my car was totaled, the asshole was found and has insurance and accepts fault, and my insurance company is paying my car off. The other company is simply reimbursing my insurance company for the cost of my car, and they're paying my medical bills. In the end, this leaves me without a car, but all my bills paid.

I want to hire a lawyer and file a lawsuit against this guy for a new car.

Has anyone had any experience with lawyers and lawsuits? I don't have much money, so I'd have to hire someone who gets paid only if we win (which we should since he admits fault and we have witnesses).

How much do they generally take?

How long is the process?

Any advice?
    Originally posted by sam
    haha
    not only did you take free expensive shit from him, you made him break up with his girlfriend, you're GOING to break his heart and now you're making him an internet joke
    i think i love you
    Originally posted by Snowden
    ps. i love you too toxic
    Quote Originally Posted by BukkakeWarrior View Post
    yeah but like we grew up with her y'dig? so like its sorta like she is the girl next door and we just found out we can see inside her bedroom window at night.

Entense Supporter
    whocanisue.com

Elite Member
    It generally takes about 2 years to completely settle a case. You should be able to get your car replaced withing 30 days. When I say settled I mean they pay you for your injuries and lost wages etc.. Make sure if you are injured you treat for the injuries. Most attorneys will take on the case for 33% of what they collect from the insurance company. They will not take 33% of replacement cost of your vehicle just the settlement.

What do you mean paying your car off, were you leasing it?

The loan that she probably has on her car....

Quote Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
    hes a god damn legend, you shut your gypsy mouth

would his insurance company paying for medical bills and the car not kinda mess up suing for more?

PSN: Skorgilaz

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis View Post
    would his insurance company paying for medical bills and the car not kinda mess up suing for more?
    Hit and run. How is it fair that she got injured, had to track the guy down, and loses her car? She just lost her downpayment and all payments she put into the car since then. Besides, the fact that he just drove away and left her there not knowing if she'd die was fucked up and he deserves to lose all the money he can

Quote Originally Posted by uskrewed View Post
    Hit and run. How is it fair that she got injured, had to track the guy down, and loses her car? She just lost her downpayment and all payments she put into the car since then. Besides, the fact that he just drove away and left her there not knowing if she'd die was fucked up and he deserves to lose all the money he can
    i never said she didn't deserve more money, i agree that she does, i just feel that they would come out saying, "look we already paid for all this stuff, why does she want more" making things more difficult.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis View Post
    i never said she didn't deserve more money, i agree that she does, i just feel that they would come out saying, "look we already paid for all this stuff, why does she want more" making things more difficult.
    But they didn't pay for stuff. If they did she'd have another car. Insurance isn't just supposed to pay off your debts incurred due to an accident, it's supposed to recoup what you lost. That includes her time, car, any damage done that will reduce her capacity of living.

Entense Supporter
    wait, so your insurance is only paying off the loan on the car? they are not reimbursing you? Maybe it is different if you do not own the car; but lets say that you only had $1k worth of damage done. They would give you $1k to fix the damage...why are they only paying the car off?

Entense Supporter
    because the car was totaled gms

you get the cost of the vehicle usually when it's totaled but beings she didn't own the car they're paying off the remaining principle on the loan or if she's leasing (skimmed the thread) they'll pay the dealership

it's a shady practice but that's how insurance companies operate

toxic lawyers generally take 30% of your settlement, you should have got a lawyer's advice (once again they generally do this without you paying them) before agreeing to anything the insurance company said. it's not a big deal but a lot of times (99.9% of the time) they will screw you over (which they did) so hopefully this guy doesn't get off by claiming "my rates are up because i accepted fault, i ran i know it was a huge mistake etc...her bills are taken care of, her car is taken care of"

best of luck in this situation, keep us updated

Quote Originally Posted by uskrewed View Post
    But they didn't pay for stuff. If they did she'd have another car. Insurance isn't just supposed to pay off your debts incurred due to an accident, it's supposed to recoup what you lost. That includes her time, car, any damage done that will reduce her capacity of living.
    i see what youre saying, i don't understand insurance that well, i just feel like they would try to take the cheapest way out which means just pay for the bills incurred`

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gunmetalsteak View Post
    wait, so your insurance is only paying off the loan on the car? they are not reimbursing you? Maybe it is different if you do not own the car; but lets say that you only had $1k worth of damage done. They would give you $1k to fix the damage...why are they only paying the car off?
    My guess is she paid a little too much for it and then had bad credit so her interest rates fucked her. She bought the car and instantly went upside down on it. Along with this insurance companies are notoriously shady for undervaluing cars to save themselves money. It's a fucked up practice but if you have good insurance you'll usually get more than what you paid for. My 98 accord got stolen and I got paid $2k more than what I paid for it 2 years prior.

I'd like to know what insurance companies are involved so I can steer clear of them.

After my car was considered a total loss, my insurance paid off my car loan and then wrote me a check for the difference. They researched local car dealers to help come up with the amount.

Entense Supporter
    I use Progressive.

I owed roughly 7k on my car. The insurance company checked out the car, declared it a total loss, and said that it was only worth 5k. And that 5k goes towards what I owe. The remaining 2k is being covered by the GAP insurance.

So, my car is paid off and my medical bills are being taken care of, but I'm still car-less. He totaled out my car, left me there, and then avoided the insurance company for the longest. He finally admitted fault.

I just feel like the insurance companies should have done more, perhaps.

Also- is it possible to settle out of court in this situation?
    Originally posted by sam
    haha
    not only did you take free expensive shit from him, you made him break up with his girlfriend, you're GOING to break his heart and now you're making him an internet joke
    i think i love you
    Originally posted by Snowden
    ps. i love you too toxic
    Quote Originally Posted by BukkakeWarrior View Post
    yeah but like we grew up with her y'dig? so like its sorta like she is the girl next door and we just found out we can see inside her bedroom window at night.

Entense Supporter
    Definitely able to settle this out of court, but judging by his past actions he's not going to just hand you money without the threat of a long court battle.

Entense Supporter
    and to settle out of court, you need to first sue him. They have all sorts of lawyers that at least advertise they do not charge unless you win.

Quote Originally Posted by gunmetalsteak View Post
    They have all sorts of lawyers that at least advertise they do not charge unless you win.
    Locally, Jim Adler (The Texas Hammer) and Brian Loncar (The Strong Arm) are the first that come to mind. Even though they are sleazy greaseballs, I believe they at least advertise that it won't cost you anything unless you win. There's a good chance that's bullshit, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jigshaw View Post
    Locally, Jim Adler (The Texas Hammer) and Brian Loncar (The Strong Arm) are the first that come to mind. Even though they are sleazy greaseballs, I believe they at least advertise that it won't cost you anything unless you win. There's a good chance that's bullshit, though.
    pretty sure they won't charge you unless you win, because they wont take your case if they dont think you have a high chance of winning

The Fucking King! BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Any update?