User Tag List

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fangs' progress thread

I squatted today for the first time in probably 4 years, and I was able to get to 275 (10 reps). Not too shabby! If I had a spotter, there's no doubt in my mind I could've done 315.

I re-sprained my ankle during yesterday's game. We have 1 more game left in the season, and I've just decided to call in sick. I can barely walk on it. Suffering through a sprained ankle for almost 2 months now sucks, and I'm ready to finally let it heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Fangs404 View Post
    I squatted today for the first time in probably 4 years, and I was able to get to 275 (10 reps). Not too shabby! If I had a spotter, there's no doubt in my mind I could've done 315.
    I hate shitting on peoples parades but that paragraph set off an alarm in my brain. Are you sure you are going deep enough on squats? I've been training squats hard for a couple years and would have trouble completing 275x10, let alone on my first day squatting in 4 years. Something is not right
    - 1025 lb

drink milk like it's our job crew

Entensity Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by coldeye View Post
    I hate shitting on peoples parades but that paragraph set off an alarm in my brain. Are you sure you are going deep enough on squats? I've been training squats hard for a couple years and would have trouble completing 275x10, let alone on my first day squatting in 4 years. Something is not right
    Plus fangs doesn't look like he'd squat much more than 185 for 5

Quote Originally Posted by coldeye View Post
    Yeah, I go all the way down. I've always had a really strong lower body I max out the leg press machine at the gym, and on the leg press machine at my old gym that allowed you to put plates on, I used to be able to do 10 reps at 800lbs. I'll do calf raises at 300 without much fuss. I wish the leg press machine at my current gym was the kind that let you put plates on.

My upper body is what's always been fairly weak which is why I'm concentrating on it so much these days.

[edit]
    In case it wasn't clear, even though I haven't done squats in 4 years, that doesn't mean I haven't worked out my lower body in 4 years. I've been doing hamstring curls, calf raises, leg press, and hack squats regularly, so I've still been working out my lower body. I just haven't done squats in forever because I don't like all the pressure on my shoulders/neck from the weight.
    Last edited by Dr. Fangs404; 10/17/2010 at 6:40 pm.

Man, my body fucking craves protein nowadays. As soon as I get done at the gym, my body just screams "PROTEIN MOTHERFUCKER!" and isn't satisfied until I get home and drink a protein shake. I should take some more pictures. Maybe I'll do that tonight.

[/rambling]

So the gym that I go to has 2 locations around me. I've always gone to one, but I decided to go to the other today just to check it out. It's smaller, and I definitely like the other one better, but they had a legit leg press. I couldn't resist (if there's one exercise that's mine, it's the leg press). It's been years, but I was able to jump in and do sets of 7 at 630lbs (14 plates). I filled up the main bars. There's a 2nd row of bars I could've gone to, but my ankle is still recovering from that sprain and wasn't all that happy. It felt great other than the ankle, though! I love the feeling of everyone in the gym looking at you from the corner of their eye. The guy before me was just doing 2 plates haha.

Entense Supporter
    Not too bad.. keep workin you're way up dude. I LOVE leg pressing as well.

Entense Supporter
    Well since we talked about it a few times, played my first game of rugby two weeks ago. Had a lot of fun getting it down somewhat definitely a lot of cardio but it's nice to run that much again except my ankles hate my for the next couple days after a tough practice. I might make a post about it but going to a tournament in key west this weekend. Pretty excited as I've already had a good time partying with these guys and it will be my first time in key west even though I've lived in Florida my whole life. Hopefully I don't embarrass myself to much on the field, still figuring out where I want to play and basic rules lol...

Damn your squat rapes mine. It's always been one of my weaker assets I think I'm at 270ish free weight squat max at the moment. Been doing a lot of lower body lately though so I would be ecstatic with 300+ max which I think is in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    Well since we talked about it a few times, played my first game of rugby two weeks ago. Had a lot of fun getting it down somewhat definitely a lot of cardio but it's nice to run that much again except my ankles hate my for the next couple days after a tough practice. I might make a post about it but going to a tournament in key west this weekend. Pretty excited as I've already had a good time partying with these guys and it will be my first time in key west even though I've lived in Florida my whole life. Hopefully I don't embarrass myself to much on the field, still figuring out where I want to play and basic rules lol...

Damn your squat rapes mine. It's always been one of my weaker assets I think I'm at 270ish free weight squat max at the moment. Been doing a lot of lower body lately though so I would be ecstatic with 300+ max which I think is in the near future.
    Nice! That's awesome. Yeah, it's a fun sport, and the social aspect is awesome (rugby guys party fucking hard). And don't worry about embarrassing yourself. I made a complete ass out of myself during my first game because they were yelling at me to down the ball in the try zone when I caught a kick as a million guys were coming to crush my face in, and I didn't know to do that, so I freaked out and almost died. You'll fuck up, but it's just part of the learning process. Everyone does, even the vets.

And keep working the squats. You'll get there. I've just always had tree trunks for legs. I don't like to do that much weight usually because of the bar against the back of my neck. I'd usually rather do 15 reps at 225 than 10 reps at more weight. I just don't like how the bar rubs against my spinous process, even with the neck pad on there.

Last week, there was a guy maxing out his squats. I saw him get up to 6 plates. I can out-squat a lot of people, but that shit was fucking nuts. I have zero desire to do any exercise with so much weight that I can see the bar bend.

Entense Supporter
    I know you're joking, but I actually have p90x, and I've done the ab one (it's pretty good). I just like getting into the gym and lifting weights and being around other people. There are inevitably guys that are like 400 times bigger than you at the gym, and seeing those guys really helps me push myself.

I know this is an old reply, but i wasnt kidding. i have p90x also. Ive done the ab one a few times, its brutal.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dork View Post
    I know this is an old reply, but i wasnt kidding. i have p90x also. Ive done the ab one a few times, its brutal.
    I should re-download p90x, they have some good exercises. I wouldn't do they entire set, but i think it's useful for picking up an exercise or two in areas that you are lacking.

awesome jobs fangs keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Kyle View Post
    awesome jobs fangs keep up the good work.
    thanks man!

i fucking destroyed myself today. tomorrow is gonna be the first time in about 3 weeks to run. i'm gonna attempt to play some 7s rugby with some friends. i'm anxious to see how my ankle handles it. it's a little tight, but i'm hoping it'll do alright.

So I saw the doctor for my ankle. I played rugby this last Friday, and within about 2 minutes of running on it, it was hurting just as bad as when I first injured it. I saw the doctor a couple days ago, and he thinks I fucked up a tendon. He forwarded me to a sports medicine/orthopedic guy that I'm seeing at the beginning of this next week. He said surgery is a good possibility, but we'll see what the ortho says. Fuck.

Entense Supporter
    So I saw the doctor for my ankle. I played rugby this last Friday, and within about 2 minutes of running on it, it was hurting just as bad as when I first injured it. I saw the doctor a couple days ago, and he thinks I fucked up a tendon. He forwarded me to a sports medicine/orthopedic guy that I'm seeing at the beginning of this next week. He said surgery is a good possibility, but we'll see what the ortho says. Fuck.

sorry to hear this, get well soon.

I maxed my bench for the first time since I started lifting back in June. Keep in mind that when I first started, I was doing sets of about 105lbs (seriously, I was a scrawny weak fuck). My 1RM was 215lbs today. I'm so fucking pumped. That's way more than I have every benched. My goal has been to bench 225lbs once by Christmas, and I think I'm gonna be able to meet and exceed that goal in the next few weeks. Fuck yeah!

Updated the OP with some new pictures.

Entense Supporter
    Fangs mannnn.. you gotta eat moreee to see some better results lol Looks good though, I can see some more chest definition and your back is a little more define in the upper LAT area. Keep it up!