User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to buy my first gun, **9mm only**

Entense Supporter

I want to buy my first gun, **9mm only**

I'm about to get my (Mass LTC) gun license, just need to fill out a form at the police station asap. The class was so easy and straightforward.

I want to get a 9mm. Cheap ammo is the biggest reason for me. I would like to keep the spending as low as possible while maintaining fun

1) $444 after tax and including the $50 rebate or 2 free mags available S&W M&P 9mm http://www.gunandsport.com/docs/SW_Born_In_The_USA.pdf
    http://www.fsguns.com/specials.html
    Last edited by chapstick; 8/29/2010 at 10:23 pm.

Elite Member
    USP

Someone posts A LOT chigger2508's Avatar
    i would go with the usp as well. i don't think you should bother with a .22 in all honesty. are you only willing to consider these 2 guns? there are lots of others you could consider and that are discussed on here. and what is a Mass LTC? your Massachusetts license to own a handgun?

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by chigger2508 View Post
    i would go with the usp as well. i don't think you should bother with a .22 in all honesty. are you only willing to consider these 2 guns? there are lots of others you could consider and that are discussed on here. and what is a Mass LTC? your Massachusetts license to own a handgun?
    yeah, I'm applying for the Class A license which allows me to carry it concealed

the reason why I'm considering only these two guns is because from waht I researched, for the .22 caliber pistol, this sig is pretty good and cost effective and the USP is just aesthetically pleasing to me in terms of 9mm pistols and from what I read people had good experiences with it

I've been to the smith and wesson factory in springfield, ma and I shot a .22 9mm and .45 revolver, so I know how weak the 22 is but honestly I won't be using this gun much except for some target practice realistically once a month.

I'm starting to post ponchovilla's Avatar
    From what i can tell it seems like you have no real goals in mind for owning a gun as well as a CWP. You need to ask yourself what your intentions are for both of these. If you want personal protection for your house and on yourself(CWP) at all times, a .22 caliber weapon is out of the question, and is also a waste of money + space.
    And honestly if you're going to be shooting once a month, plinking with a .22 gets old after about 15 minutes unless youre shooting squirrels off your back porch, in which case i would by a .22 rifle.

Cliffs: Figure out what your'e going to use your gun for and buy accordingly. Don't get a .22 for concealed carry and don't be scared to drop the extra few hundred for a more practical caliber.

I was under the impression that MA can't have larger than 10 round mags regardless of permit.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by coudos View Post
    I was under the impression that MA can't have larger than 10 round mags regardless of permit.
    if you have a class A you can carry concealed and have "large capacity" pistols

The new law creates two types of licenses to carry (LTC):

CLASS A" LTC: Permits the purchase, possession and carrying of all ammunition, handguns, rifles, shotguns and feeding devices (both large and non-large capacity). This is the only license that allows the carrying of concealed handguns-either loaded or unloaded.

CLASS B" LTC: Permits the purchase, possession and carrying of all ammunition, non-large capacity handguns, and all rifles and shotguns (large and non-large capacity).

Entense Supporter
    How big are your hands?

I found the USP too big for my average-sized hands.

Entense Supporter
    I'd stay away from the Sig for carry. It's very finicky about what kind of ammo you feed it, you'd be better off going with a .380 or even .25ACP or .32ACP for low caliber concealed carry. More powerful ammo is available, and almost every one out there won't have a problem feeding. That's a solid deal on the USP, and it's magazine, not clip please.

REAL Official EF IRC channel irc://irc.efnet.net/entensity
    EF first name crew. EF Survival Crew. EF Marriage Crew
    Search for "hdshizzle" or click HERE for my HD movies!
    MOTHERFUCKING JEW CREW

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyJ View Post
    I'd stay away from the Sig for carry. It's very finicky about what kind of ammo you feed it, you'd be better off going with a .380 or even .25ACP or .32ACP for low caliber concealed carry. More powerful ammo is available, and almost every one out there won't have a problem feeding. That's a solid deal on the USP, and it's magazine, not clip please.
    ahh dang it I'm trying really hard to break the habit of calling it a clip, edited

but honestly i don't see what the huge huge deal can be if people call it a clip especially because although they're ignorant you still know what they're referring to haha
    Last edited by chapstick; 8/25/2010 at 9:30 pm.

Kel-Tec PF9 is a good full caliber CC option.

I'm starting to post oopseyesharted's Avatar
    Id go with the HK....and maybe pick up a used 22 to take to the range...you will know why once you start going through a couple hundred rounds at a time of 9mm.

Do you like Smith's at all?

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by oopseyesharted View Post
    Id go with the HK....and maybe pick up a used 22 to take to the range...you will know why once you start going through a couple hundred rounds at a time of 9mm.

Do you like Smith's at all?
    yeah, i think they're awesome.. actually i've been to the s&w factory in springfield, MA many times

i was considering the M&P line but they don't have single/double action which is somethign i wanted for target practice, but enlighten me and let me know if DAO is perfectly fine

If you check gunsamerica you might be able to get a good deal on that USP there. I've gotten a few guns off there, you just have to pay someone with an FFL to have it delivered.

New Bitch
    You can't really go wrong with a Glock 19. Easy to conceal, and 9mm, so you can carry it and be confident, while keeping costs relatively low.

Entense Supporter
    thanks for the advice, anyone have any good things to say bout the M&P9?

i'm going to redo the original post... i'm no longer going to consider buying a .22 especially when i can get a 9mm for just a bit more
    Last edited by chapstick; 8/26/2010 at 8:49 pm.

Entense Supporter
    Of your choices, the best overall would either be the XD9 or the FNP9. Both are extremely reliable, well priced, and take down easier than any of the guns up there. We got an FNP in a while back, I can field strip one in less than 8 seconds, which is incredible for me . Both of them also fit your hand extremely well, (usually) and they point shoot better than anything else up there, which helps for those oh shit moments.

REAL Official EF IRC channel irc://irc.efnet.net/entensity
    EF first name crew. EF Survival Crew. EF Marriage Crew
    Search for "hdshizzle" or click HERE for my HD movies!
    MOTHERFUCKING JEW CREW

Glock 19. My first gun was a 1911, I love it to death, but I wouldn't want to CCW it for several reasons, it weighs nearly 2.5lbs, it only carrys 8+1 rounds and mine isn't as reliable as my modern guns. I bought an XD-9 because I liked the feel, I wanted a 9mm and I didn't want to be a fanboy and buy a Glock. My third gun was the one that I actually spent hundreds of hours researching, I was planning on getting it for CCW. My XD-9 was going to be my CCW gun, but I wanted something smaller for summer since I usually wear a T-Shirt and jeans. The Kimber Ultra Carry was too heavy and didn't carry enough rounds, the XD9SC was a great choice, but in every measurement the Glock was better. Then I looked at the Kel-Tec and Kahr offerings, but I didn't want to trust brand I didn't personally know. Went back and forth about 50 times between everything. Then I shot them all, obviously the Glock won me. For CCW, Glock is amazing. If you look at more than just cost then Glock should be the top of your list. I spent almost 3 months researching CCW options daily. I was looking at EVERYTHING, I ended up with a Glock 27. I think the 26 is a great option as well but you seem to be more interested in a service or compact rather than a sub compact. Glocks are incredibly reliable, very durable, super lightweight, tons of rounds in the mag. It is also a very easy gun to shoot, there's almost no manual-of-arms to learn, with 1 in the chamber, 999 times out of 1000 all you have to do is pull the trigger to make it go bang.

This article is worth a read http://www.theprepared.com/index.php...ask=view&id=90 .

If the FNP9 is anything like the FN 5.7 then it would be an ultra lightweight option.

As for the XD-9, the grip safety isn't even noticeable. I have one, never bothered me or anyone who shot it.
    Last edited by coudos; 8/26/2010 at 10:18 pm.

I love the USP.

what a wide range of different guns, you obviously have no idea what you're looking for. Do you want ergonomics, a good textured grip, low recoil??? I can tell you right now that USP's are over priced, ruger's have no where near the reliability of glocks/s & w's..., Springfield XD's have huge ass bore axis's, What's an FNP??? And Taurus...REALLYYY?????

I can honestly say that I would only recommend the S & W M&P for you as a first time handgun owner. It's easy to take apart, easy to clean, you can change out the back straps, has ambidextrous controls, tactical rail that you don't have to buy conversion rails for (HINT HINT USP), great low profile sights, crispy trigger, top notch slide serrations and a take down tool built right into the damn thing. Do you get all of these things with the other pistols????

Your prices range from $300.00 to $515.00, if you're willing to spend $515.00, just buy something brand new!!!!!