User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW 1M Coupe Partially Unveiled at Oktoberfest! [VIDEO & PHOTOS]

this is the equivalent of a cock tease, christ

Quote Originally Posted by JPH1121 View Post
    The one series is significantly lighter than the same engine 3 series model...

Oh, and the new 135i comes with a better transmission than the 335i.
    Its not as significant as you think. There's only about a 200-250lbs difference in between the 135 and the 335. Im not sure if that speaks good things about the 335 or bad things about the 135.

im diggin the color.. man i wanna see this car

Quote Originally Posted by sixtninecoug View Post
    Its not as significant as you think. There's only about a 200-250lbs difference in between the 135 and the 335. Im not sure if that speaks good things about the 335 or bad things about the 135.
    Roughly half a second quicker with only slightly worse fuel economy?

135i, I believe, is very close to 3000. 335i is over 10% heavier!

Holy shit I rule!
    Quote Originally Posted by Masta View Post
    My friend's dad has one of those in his garage. bright orange.
    [IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/168tljb.jpg[IMG]

Sig too big, maximum file size is 1 mb

Entense Supporter
    take pictures of it ! I want to see

are you sure it's not an 8 series? cause your friends dad would have to be stupid rich

Bad-ass Member
    damn I was hoping they would unveil a little bit more than that lol. can't wait to see what the whole thing looks like

when are they going to show the whole fucking thing? damn PR buzz!

More 1M details confirmed: Limited Production Run - 3 Exterior Colors - MT Only

Reported on 1ADDICTS HOMEPAGE.

SUMMARY:

* Limited Production Run of 2,700 units worldwide
    * Three colors: Alpine White - Jet Black - Valencia Orange Metallic
    * Manual transmission only

Reposted from M3Post

Well everyone I arrived late last night. All I can say is that I got a taste a BMW heaven. It was beyond words! BMW M were unbelievable hosts who spared no expense or effort to make this truly the event of a lifetime. From the grand dinners, to the thoughtful details to make it feel personalized for each participant, I will never forget the Power of M Award 2010.

Because the highlight of the event was in BMWs equivalent of Area 51 in Miramas, there were no pics I was able to take. However they were thoughtful enough to provide cameras for use during the highlight of the event. My head is still spinning that I experienced what I did! The memory cards are being screened and we will receive the pics in a couple weeks.

I will provide a complete report once I am re-adjusted to EST. I will however answer a couple questions (which are subject to change):

1M: This will be a very limited production run. BMW will produce 2,700 units worldwide. The US will receive the largest allocation (no exact number was provided). It will be available in three colors. Alpine White, Jet Black and Valencia Orange. It will come in a manual only.

I did see it in person in Valencia Orange. The interior was impossible to see because the windows were blacked out. There were quad-exhaust tips, CSL-style wheels like the ones shown at Oktoberfest, the bumper receives an integrated spoiler a-la M3 CSL, and the now famous side gills like the M3 were on the 1M.

M3: I was not able to get a confirmation from M about the engine but, my gut tells me based on the conversation that the M3 will receive a turbo-6. This is the lighter solution we were looking for. Remember the current V8 is lighter than the S54. BMW M are very aware of the desires of the enthusiast community. The USA is the largest market and is receiving careful consideration in the development of new products. We will not be disappointed.

Please look for a detailed account next week. I do have many customers to get back to so please bear with me. Thanks again for all of the support.

Best regards,
    lol slowly building up to it i guess.

Paris update:

Featured on 1addicts Homepage.

The next stage of the BMW 1M Coupe tease has been officially revealed on the M-power.com site. Seen clearly in these official photos are parts of the rear bumper and fender. Also new in the photos are the camouflaged headlights, which cover the life cycle impulse (LCI or "facelift") headlights which were seen on the ActiveE photos we recently posted.

There may be additional info or video posted shortly or sometime this week, so stay tuned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfIAUVcS1_k&feature=player_embedded

looks like a m3 with a different hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev!n View Post
    looks like a m3 with a different hood.
    The more I see of it the more I'm thinking "wow, it looks like a BMW and exactly like you would expect it to look."

Quote Originally Posted by ten View Post
    The more I see of it the more I'm thinking "wow, it looks like a BMW and exactly like you would expect it to look."
    Yup. They have their whole product line as the same face. There not going to pull a new one out of there ass. Its just the Typical BMW front bumper with 2 grills.

MotorTrend First Drive - BMW 1 Series M Coupe Review

Select journalists were recently provided near production ready 1M coupes to test drive and review. Motortrend has now weighed in with their first drive impression, calling the 1M's high level of control and cornering a level that seems impossible outside the virtual world of Sony's Gran Turismo. Read on...

First Drive: 2012 BMW 1 Series M Coupe Prototype

1derful M

October 08, 2010 / By Frank Markus

Almost since the launch of BMW's pocket-size 1 Series, an M version has been predicted. The tii concept car shown at the 2007 Tokyo motor show was the first harbinger, and the blogosphere has barely quieted down since. One of the biggest questions: What would they call it? Millennial enthusiasts might assume M1, but grownups associate that name with BMW's first modern mid-engine supercar, so that name was a non-starter (it's being reserved for something more fabulous than the lowest-priced M vehicle). Instead it will be dubbed 1 Series M Coupe.

That name also draws a connection to this latest M's true predecessor, the quirky two-seat Z3 and Z4 M Coupes. Okay, it's around a foot longer, seats four, and weighs a few hundred pounds more, but in its cheeky styling and narrow, nippy demeanor it passes the paternity test. BMW has not released many official details about the 1 M (it breaks cover officially in Detroit in January), but during a recent tech-day visit to Munich the engineers let us take a quickie test drive and either admitted to or winked and nudged at the following facts:

Engine: The N54 twin-turbo 3.0-liter six is closely related to the one in the Z4 sDrive35is. Spooling out 11.6 psi (increasing to 14.5 for up to seven seconds of overboost), the turbos help produce roughly 340 peak horsepower, with torque registering near 370 lb-ft. To spare you the math, that's 74 fewer horses but 75 more pound-feet of twist than the M3's peaky V-8 makes. With weight said to remain nearly equal to the 135i's, that should give the 1 M a weight-to-power rating equal to that of the previous M coupes with far better weight-to-torque than even the M3.

Transmission and driveline: A six-speed manual will be the only transmission offering, and we expect its ratios will be shared with those of the M3 stick. The M3's Variable M Differential lock rearend is also part of the deal.

Chassis: Almost all of the M3 bits have been adapted to the 1's closely related platform, with only minor tweaking to account for the 1's nearly 200-pound lighter load. This includes the aluminum suspension links, the big vented and cross-drilled brakes, and the M3 competition package's 19-inch Y-spoke wheels, shod in Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's of the same sizes (245/35ZR19 93Y front, 265/35ZR-19 98Y rear, inflated to 44 psi front/35 psi rear on our prototype).

Body: Fender flares widen the car by 3.1 inches to cover the huge tires, and new fascias accommodate the engine's increased cooling needs in front and the quad exhaust pipes out back. The 135i's rear lip spoiler is retained, and all bodywork will be steel to keep the cost low. Paint choices will include Alpine White, Jet Black, and Valencia Orange Metallic.

Interior: Expect white-on-gray M gauges, a three-spoke M steering wheel with M mode button, an M shifter, and sport leather buckets with ample side bolstering.

So how does it run? Matching the last-gen M3 Competition coupe's weight-to-power ratio with more torque than today's V-8 M3, the 1 M moves out smartly indeed with zero turbo lag and a healthy snarl that's dominated by mechanical and induction noise. Servotronic steering retuned for the 1 Series M Coupe relays plenty of road feel with ideal levels of effort. The chassis' broad stance and high level of control permit cornering that seems impossible outside the virtual world of Sony's Gran Turismo. Those oversized brakes erase big speeds just as smoothly and effortlessly as the twin-turbos produce it. BMW claims its Nurburgring Nordschleife lap time falls just a bit shy of the M3's, and that seems plausible.

A limited production run of 2700 units has been reported, with a healthy percentage of that number heading our way. The base price is expected to fall very near $45,000, highlighting the 1 M's true mission, which is to win back those people who may have failed to make the $8000 price leap from the six-cylinder E46 M3 to the V-8 E92 model. We reckon these folks will be only too thrilled to trade their aging E46s or tuned 335is for one of these.

Rest of article (including comparison to E30 M3): http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz11oNnLwYw

Edmunds 1-series M Coupe First Drive Review

Edmunds was also part of the select group participating in the BMW 1M coupe prototype preliminary drives. Their initial impressions follows:

2012 BMW 1 Series M Coupe Prototype First Drive

Silly Name for a Serious Car

By Andreas Stahl, Contributor | Published Oct 8, 2010

Article at: http://www.insideline.com/bmw/1-seri...rst-drive.html

We've always been a fan of the BMW 135i coupe. How could you not when it packs such a terrific engine, delivers such enthralling rear-wheel-drive handling and boasts the sort of quality expected of a car wearing the sought-after blue-and-white propeller badge?

But at the same time we've always felt the compact two-door, introduced in the North American market in 2007, could offer a little bit more on the performance front. We partially took this into our hands when we chipped our long-term 135i. Now, after taking a long time to carefully think it over, BMW's board of management has apparently come to the very same conclusion. The result? The harder, faster and more focused 2012 BMW 1 Series M Coupe, driven here in prototype form for the very first time.

Neo-E30?
    Set to debut at the Detroit auto show in January, BMW M division's new entry-level model has been conceived to broaden its reach and appeal among a younger group of customers than the existing M3, X5 M and X6 M as well as the upcoming M5 and M6 — the latter two due out in 2011 and 2012, respectively.

The company's boss, Kay Segler, is quick to talk up the similarities between the 2012 BMW 1 Series M Coupe and the original M3 — the classic E30 model used to homologate BMW's 1987 World Touring Car Championship contender. Truth is, though, there is little other than compact dimensions linking the two. If it has to be compared, the 135i coupe is clearly the only real yardstick.

Huggy Bear
    One fleeting glimpse is all it takes to tell you this is no ordinary 135i coupe. With a deep new front bumper carrying sizable engine cooling ducts, bulging wheel arches front and rear, widened sills and a re-profiled rear bumper incorporating BMW M division's signature quad chrome tailpipes, the 1 Series M Coupe looks fast and capable before it's even turned a wheel.

The styling changes are complemented by a fantastic ground-hugging stance created through a combination of lowered ride height and significantly widened tracks. The wheels? We can't imagine there was much argument over the M3 CSL-style 19-inch alloys worn by the prototype we drove. Shod with 245/35 (front) and 265/35 (rear) Michelin Pilot Sport tires, they properly fill out the arches, serving to heighten the 1 Series M Coupe's muscular appearance while helping to further separate it visually from its standard sibling.

There's not too much to report about the interior just yet. The prototype we drove used a basic 135i coupe dashboard that had clearly seen better days. Production versions will get the same fascia design together with all the usual M division accouterments: unique instruments, thick-rim three-spoke steering wheel, leather-bound gearlever, polished pedals, more firmly padded seats and a series of upmarket trims.

Stump-Puller
    Never mind the interior, though. It's the mechanical package, and in particular the driveline, that will be the real focus when the 1 Series M Coupe reaches North American showrooms next year. Based closely around that already used by the 135i coupe, it runs a heavily tuned version of BMW's N54 engine mounted longitudinally up front and delivering drive to the rear wheels. Details pertaining to the twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder direct-injection gasoline unit haven't been made official. However, Inside Line understands it develops close to 350 horsepower — or 44 hp more than the standard engine in the 135i and some 57 hp less than the naturally aspirated 4.0-liter V8-powered M3.

First impressions once you've slotted the key into the ignition and hit the starter button are more than encouraging. The reworked engine is extraordinarily strong within the lower end of the rev range thanks to its solid reserves of torque. Again, BMW is not prepared to divulge too much prior to its official unveiling, but there are whispers that the 1 Series M Coupe has as much as 350 pound-feet of torque, or significantly more than both the 135i coupe and M3's 294 lb-ft. As the torque is delivered at just 1,400 rpm, the new BMW requires little commitment from the driver to appreciate the added performance.

But while its part-throttle properties are truly impressive, it is under boost, when its two turbochargers are spooling up, where the 1 Series M Coupe really comes alive. Planting your right foot at middling revs unleashes a heady rush of acceleration fully befitting its billing as the spiritual successor to BMW M division's original M3. The reworked engine doesn't mind being worked hard, either; the delivery remains strong all the way to the 7,000-rpm cutout point.

The noise it makes is a little bit naughtier than the standard unit in the 135i coupe, too. There's less induction blare and a raspier exhaust, both under load and on the overrun. It's fitting for a car possessing such stirring performance but it's nowhere near as memorable as the bass-driven wail you get from BMW M division's existing naturally aspirated 4.0-liter V8 and recently discontinued 5.0-liter V10 engines.

Don't Throw Away That Left Foot Just Yet
    Despite speculation suggesting the new BMW would receive a seven-speed double-clutch gearbox like that now available as an option in the M3, the 2012 BMW 1 Series M Coupe will come standard with a six-speed manual. It's a strange decision given the younger customers M division is aiming at. But with a crisp action and firm springing, working the Getrag-engineered unit is no hardship. As we're used to, though, the clutch action is long on travel.

As part of efforts to sustain the suspense surrounding the impending introduction of the 1 Series M Coupe, BMW's M division has not revealed any official performance claims just yet. But with a curb weight around 3,300 pounds, a 0-62-mph time of around 5.0 seconds seems well within reach. Of course, it all depends on the gearing. But if the prototype we drove is any indication, it's going to be every bit as quick as the M3 up the strip. Nor will it lack for top-end speed. Inside Line can already confirm top speed will be limited to 155 mph.

It's not only the straight-line performance that serves to set this car apart. The 2012 BMW 1 Series M Coupe also operates on a higher dynamic plane than the 135i coupe. From the outset it feels more willing, and as you begin to make demands it becomes clear the heavily reworked chassis is not only more responsive, but capable of handling higher cornering speeds and delivering added levels of grip.

Wide-Track BMW
    Central to the changes is the adoption of a wider front track and the rear axle assembly from the M3, complete with its so-called M differential. The electronically operated device provides 100 percent lockup, ensuring a more harmonious transfer of drive to the blacktop and more neutral cornering. On top of this, it has allowed BMW M division engineers to dial back the threshold of the 1 Series M Coupe's standard stability and traction control system, giving the driver greater scope to exploit its added reserves. The front end can be leaned on more reliably and you can get power down earlier without nasty interruption from the electronic safety net lurking in the background.

Changes to the steering make it more direct and imbue it with a slight increase in weight. They add to the overall sense of purpose engineered into the 1 Series M Coupe, particularly its turn-in properties, which are much improved over the 135i. It's just a pity the newly engineered electromechanical system is so short on feel. There's an inherent firmness to the ride, the result of stiffer springs and dampers as well as those uncompromising tires. But there's sufficient compliance and travel to ensure rapid progress on less-than-smooth roads.

Still, it's going to take more wheel time than a brief spin up the road in a durability prototype that has over 10,000 miles on the clock to fully appreciate the changes BMW has made to the 135i to create the 2012 BMW 1 Series M Coupe. At the moment the signs are extremely positive. It's the sort of car you get out of wishing you could have more time with. On the strength of what we've seen so far, it fully deserves the M-car billing, even if BMW made the wrong decision by not calling it the M1.

Edmunds attended a manufacturer-sponsored event, to which selected members of the press were invited, to facilitate this report.

Source: http://www.insideline.com/bmw/1-seri...rst-drive.html

Small, Black, Strong - Interview with Albert Biermann on the 1M Coupé

M-Power.com just released an interview with Albert Biermann, Head of Development BMW M, giving away some more details on the 1 Series M Coupé.

At a glance:

* Engine: 3.0l biturbo inline 6 with about 340 hp (in other words: N54)
    * Weight: About 1,500kg or 3,300 lbs
    * Transmission: 6MT only
    * Chassis, brakes and rear diff shared with the M3
    * Nuerburgring 'Nordschleife': Ten seconds faster than the E46 M3 (Sportauto lapped the E46 M3 in 8:22)
    * Price: Somewhere between the 135i and M3, but closer to the 135i
    * Full details to come in Mid December

Full Interview:

Small, black, strong – this is the figure presented by most of the prototypes for the BMW 1 Series M Coupé while they are lapping up their test kilometres. As early as July, the Managing Director of BMW M GmbH, Dr Kay Segler, revealed some initial details on the latest addition to the M family.

Albert Biermann

In early October the international press has now been given its first driving impression of the present level of development. On this occasion, Albert Biermann, Head of Development at BMW M GmbH, provides further details on the BMW 1 Series M Coupé.

M-Power.com: Mr Biermann, what makes the 1 Series M Coupé so special?
    Biermann: In my opinion, the 1 Series M Coupé is completely in the tradition of the first BMW M3. It is compact, focused on the essential, and presents outstanding driving dynamics. In addition, it opens the door to BMW M – in particular its price will also make it more accessible than our other products.

M-Power.com: Where will the price be then?
    Biermann: The price has not been fixed yet. However, I’m sure that it will lie somewhere between the 135i Coupé and the M3 Coupé, with a clear tendency towards the 135i.

M-Power.com: What will the customers be getting for their money?
    Biermann: The BMW 1 Series M Coupé is driven by a 3.0 litre inline six cylinder bi turbo engine delivering about 340 hp. This power is transferred exclusively via a six speed manual gearbox. A closer look at the prototypes will reveal many similarities to the chassis, brakes, and rear differential of the BMW M3.

M-Power.com: So what we have is a small BMW M3?
    Biermann: To a certain extent, absolutely. Yet, on the other hand, not really. There are parallels between the power and weight of the BMW 1 Series M Coupé (we expect about 1500 kg) and the BMW M3 E46. On the performance side, though, it will be in its own league. We assume that the 1 Series M Coupé will be about ten seconds faster than the M3 predecessor on the Nordschleife. And of course it will have its own particular character.

BMW 1 series M Coupé Testdrive

M-Power.com: Its own particular character is also shown in the first design details. What can we expect here?
    Biermann: Of course, we can’t disclose all of the details today. A number of distinctive design details can already be viewed on the internet. In addition, you can expect to find the usual M icons both inside and outside. However, one figure I can give you: the BMW 1 Series M Coupé will be about 80 mm wider than the 135i.

80mm wider...

M-Power.com: When can we expect further details?
    Biermann: We’ll be announcing all details on the BMW 1 Series M Coupé in mid December. Until then, there is a constant stream of news at M-Power.com. The world premiere of the BMW 1 Series M Coupé will be held at the Detroit Auto Show in January 2011, and vehicles will be delivered to the first customers in early summer.

Thank you, Mr Biermann, for the interview.
    and now for some commercials...not really related to the M in particular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs2rKkiQPlE&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQnJS78S6Eg&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_IxV__USZs&feature=related
    Last edited by Masta; 10/11/2010 at 10:29 am.

$45k

Last edited by filipinosauce; 10/12/2010 at 3:32 pm.

:neckbeard:

omg want

That does look really nice