User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW 1M Coupe Partially Unveiled at Oktoberfest! [VIDEO & PHOTOS]

BMW 1M Coupe Partially Unveiled at Oktoberfest! [VIDEO & PHOTOS]

courtesy of bimmerpost

As speculated before, BMW shows more details of the upcoming 1-series M Coupé at the BMW CCA Oktoberfest today. Since not all 1-M enthusiasts can attend that event, BMW just published a new teaser video on m-power.com. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBYF82qb13I&feature=player_embedded

Unless you haven't already, make sure to register at http://www.m-power.com to have access to more information. Plenty of information and media from the BMWCCA Oktoberfest presentation can be found in an online Closed Room there over the next couple of days.

Follow our full 1M coverage here: http://www.bimmerpost.com/1m/

Pics from http://www.bimmerfile.com/2010/08/27...w-1m-revealed/

Some more details per bimmerfile.com:

* The color is Valencia Orange Metallic, a new color exclusive to the 1M
    * The 1M will be manual transmission only
    * Those are the M3 Competition Package wheels
    * The front air intake is pretty similar to the M3's, but even more pronounced
    * The side skirts are also much like the M3's in shape
    * The side vents will be 'outrageous' compared to the other M cars
    * Some minor detail in the revealed area of the M1 will be changed. Bimmerfile suggests it's related to the headlights.
    * The rear valance will have vents above the exhaust that protrude out and are angled slightly inward
    * There's an oil-cooler in-front of the front left wheel
    * The rear-view mirrors will look very familiar to E9X M3 owners

Entense Supporter
    Always knew the 1 was the way to go. Love the color. Any stats on weight and power available?

I'm guessing it will be 350+ hp.

Entense Supporter
    itll be more than 350 and less than 425, they dont want it faster than the M3

or more powerful i guess i should say

Quote Originally Posted by eedna View Post
    itll be more than 350 and less than 425, they dont want it faster than the M3

or more powerful i guess i should say
    Well it should definitely have less since it will weigh less and like you said there is no way it will outperform. I think that is a mistake though. I mean where do you put it as far as performance? Below the 335iS, because they are probably going to be around the same price? I think it should be faster than the iS, but will they make it faster? Not too many people are going to be buying the iS if they could have the 1M for about the same.

and uskrewed I don't know how you like that color.

Shit, I love that color too. He's not the only one.

It's that chevy metallic orange. It's on every cobalt and hhr you have ever seen.

Pimpin Member
    i like how majority of the pictures are of just that one corner
    John5788

Hey, can I get a better shot of that LF corner? Jesus.

I have lots of Seniority Jenova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ten View Post
    Well it should definitely have less since it will weigh less and like you said there is no way it will outperform. I think that is a mistake though. I mean where do you put it as far as performance? Below the 335iS, because they are probably going to be around the same price? I think it should be faster than the iS, but will they make it faster? Not too many people are going to be buying the iS if they could have the 1M for about the same.

and uskrewed I don't know how you like that color.
    I don't necessarily agree with that. If you need room to fit people, the 1 is not going to be an option. Plus, when you buy an M car you're signing up for what's practically a track car. the iS will be much more civilized/subdued... easier to daily drive for sure... and most people in this country can't drive stick so there goes that option also.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ten View Post
    It's that chevy metallic orange. It's on every cobalt and hhr you have ever seen.
    Or Lotus Exige Orange? Either way, you're not going to mistake the thing for an HHR.

I'm guessing (hoping) it's going to be less luxurious but more sporty than the M3 but a tad bit slower. It'll at least be faster than the 335iS. If not then shame on BMW. I hope it's only released in coupe and if they decide to make it anything else a 3door but only if it's not ugly.

Entense Supporter
    as a texas alumnus, i would love to drive that color around.

:: lounge | deep house | trance | psytrance addict

I never really got the appeal of the 1 series. The 3 has been the entry level BMW for decades now, and now this is? Its heavy, slower, less roomy and really not all that much cheaper than a 3. It just seems that its like 7/8 of the 3 series in every dimension but does that really warrant another model in the lineup?

Quote Originally Posted by sixtninecoug View Post
    I never really got the appeal of the 1 series. The 3 has been the entry level BMW for decades now, and now this is? Its heavy, slower, less roomy and really not all that much cheaper than a 3. It just seems that its like 7/8 of the 3 series in every dimension but does that really warrant another model in the lineup?
    The one series is significantly lighter than the same engine 3 series model...

Oh, and the new 135i comes with a better transmission than the 335i.

Entense Supporter

I see an intercooler

Quote Originally Posted by Finsol View Post
    I see an intercooler
    I'm thinkin thats the ///M oil cooler.
    Last edited by Masta; 8/31/2010 at 6:08 pm.

N54 Engine Confirmed (per Scott26):

I see cars in the earlist stage but I have other projects to work on that I cannot afford to be distracted as I have many projects not only for cars but I also conceive stuff for BMWTV.de The German only BMW TV channel which in some cases do not involve cars. With each project now we have started to do Pre-visualisation on the computer because we can show it to the director and production crew and explain this is the angles we want to get the perfect shot.

The time window for this car is extremely tight and originally enthusiasm was not apparent until Dr. Kay Segler came to the M Division.
    We had initially toyed with the idea of an 1M when we were conceiving the Coupe and did work with evaluation models then using the engine from the E46 and the upgraded E46 CSL engine but it proved to be too heavy for the car.

Originally in the early days of marketing the standard 135i was originally meant to be an M model.

The 1M that stands before you now has had possibly the most progressive stage from thought-production turnaround for a BMW. There had to be a lot of arm-twisting in the BMW Board because of the tight window between generation 1 and generation 2 of the Coupe. The proposal was greenlighted when BMW decided to use the Coupe model for the BMW eDrive evaluation. Therefore slightly extending it's life cycle.

When I first saw the car it was in a design studio as a full scale claymodel but since then some designers ideas have to make way for aerodynamics and engineering. The initial engine proposal was the N55 but they were having issues that cannot be solved within the time window. BMW Greenlit this car in July 09, now over a year later we see it as it intended , although testing still commences until the launch. Valvetronic was the main cause of the time delay but BMW have spent some time on this and are using the N55 as a basis for the next M3.

The best way to describe the engine of the 1M is a "Hybrid" but in the original form of Hybrid, nothing to do with "alternatives", but it is not a straightforward transplant.

There is a lot of this car that will carry over for the next generation 1M in which that car will switch to four cylinders to which the M Division engineers are already working on the basics without time constraints or restrictions. 1M (E82) is showing what is possible in a small timeframe 1M (F22) will show what is possible once you do not have restrictions.
    Try as they may, BMW can't manage to conceal every last bit of the 1M Coupe. Our members have now spotted the 1M mirrors, carbon fiber diffuser/rear valence, and possibly an aggressive hood design. Scott26 also confirms a carbon fiber roof.

Mirrors, posted by Scott:

Carbon fiber rear diffuser/valence, posted by M3roar:

Possible aggressive hood vents/lines?, posted by niuniu

"Possible aggressive hood lines?" LOL seriously?

BTW why are they calling it the 1M instead of M1?

Quote Originally Posted by Masta View Post
    I feel like I should have remembered that. I think they did a segment on top gear about it once.