User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: laowai 5dii/365

Entense Supporter

laowai 5dii/365

So I decided to do a 365, especially since purchasing my new gear. I'll try to do the same as qBen and put some video up as well to force myself to practice.

Tonight I went up to North Shore and got a shot of the sunset as well as a little video...

1/365

I'll post the video as soon as it's uploaded to YouTube... I threw it together real quick so it's not perfect... but it was fun!

edit:

Replaced with some more fitting audio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI49wqq6kBw

funny is at 1:30 and 1:50 ish
    Last edited by laowai; 8/29/2010 at 9:09 pm.

My Flickr
    My Gear: 5D MK II, 24 L f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 70-200 L f/4 580 EX II ||| Gamertag: ryizfly PSN: ryisfly || G's sig generator

Entense Supporter
    Very nice. Shutter speed looks just right. Did you HDR it?

Entense Supporter
    not this one, I have an HDR vers and it didn't come out right... too tired to mess with it

I'll try and play with it in photomatix tomorrow

My Flickr
    My Gear: 5D MK II, 24 L f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 70-200 L f/4 580 EX II ||| Gamertag: ryizfly PSN: ryisfly || G's sig generator

godamnit. i need to learn how to take pictures like this.

Entense Supporter
    Went to the swap meet today

2/365

My Flickr

Really like the video. I'm just getting into video myself. I tried to IM you on AIM to ask you some questions but it appears you are not there.
    http://chat.efnet.org | /join #entensity | #entensity on irc.EFnet.net

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinACrider View Post
    Really like the video. I'm just getting into video myself. I tried to IM you on AIM to ask you some questions but it appears you are not there.
    hahaha omg I haven't used that thing in so long... I forgot all about it

feel free to send me a PM anytime... I'm uploading the video with a better track right now... it worked with Jack Johnson last time so gonna do it again, once again though... not caring about timing so much on this one... just wanna get rid of that stock audio haha

My Flickr

I don't have the exact link on hand but there is a pretty simple way to get your original audio back. You just have to acknowledge it's not yours. I've done it for my videos once or twice.
    http://chat.efnet.org | /join #entensity | #entensity on irc.EFnet.net

Mind sharing the details on your first shot (focal length, fstop, shutter speed and iso)? I have a hell of a time shooting into the sun but you nailed it.

Entense Supporter
    ISO 100
    f/2.8
    24mm
    1/30
    Circular Polarizer

Next time I'm going to stop up more and increase the ISO for the video

My Flickr

dude awesome! that guitar shot is dope, love that wash over it.

also, dont forget the power of your editing software for the video. add a solid effect like levels and crush those blacks a bit to make the footy pop more like your photos.

the video is sweet, although i would suggest editing a bit quicker. The length mixed with the pacing of the cuts like you said, kills half the interest factor. its a great location and your dog is having a blast, you want to sell those two aspects with a bit more editing. quicker cuts will help link shots together for the viewer, creating more of a story instead of a video slideshow. quick example, the first 15 seconds of this vid is one static shot. by 8 seconds in, im already contemplating scrubbing to later in the vid. a couple different cuts in the beginning of some of the pretty landscape stuff would add soo much. moments like 5 seconds in after jjohnsons guitar notes kinda wane down, right when they pick up is a perfect place for a cut, and the viewer will feel the two aspects of the vid are more connected when the audio/video seem to drive each other

think about what the viewer is feeling when watching. if we're marveling at how great the scenery is, give us some more to look at before were bored with the current image. if you want us to see how funny the dog is, only show the funniest action, otherwise were left to pick apart 10 second shots looking for what exactly it was your showing us. think about what happens when you have 4 slow, graceful 5 second landscape shots cross dissolving between them all, then one hard ass abrupt cut to your dog falling off the edge. how drastically that one thing can change the whole tone.

these arent really rules or anything, im just at work late trying to think of things i think of while editing. this might even sound jumbled and retarded. most important thing, just make a shit ton of videos. anyone you admire or who has videos that you enjoy or think are really well done, they had a period of reaaaally terrible movies where they learned what worked and what didnt. Sponge style soak up everything you can from others work, learn from their mistakes and try and understand what makes great stuff work. im rambling now, but the only cure is more.
    Originally posted by Nok
    guys give him a break he goes to art school

Entense Supporter
    I really like the first one and am jealous of the location, but why 2.8? I think you lose something with the sunset being OOF, and the photo as a whole would be sharper at 6.3 or 7
    crew
    My FlickrCanon Crew: Canon 5D MkII, Canon 7D, Canon 5Dc, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Canon 35L 1.4, Sigma 10-20, Canon 580EXII, (2) Vivitar 285HV

Entense Supporter
    Qben, thanks man... great critiques and feedback... you are helping me get that push I need on the video.

Honestly, I was trying to remind myself of those things last night but I was so tired and basically just wanted to see a bunch of footage with music haha

I'm going to use parts of this for an overall Hawaii video that I'll do in a month or so, so it'll be good to get those concepts better so I can do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by sam34gtr View Post
    I really like the first one and am jealous of the location, but why 2.8? I think you lose something with the sunset being OOF, and the photo as a whole would be sharper at 6.3 or 7
    Haha, no no you are right... the 2.8 shot was a total accident. I was shooting and recording at the same time so while playing around with the video on the "CA" setting I took a shot. After realizing it was still on CA I retook it at 7.1:

In the end I just felt like I liked the flow of the water enough to edge out a bit... I like both though

My Flickr

Entense Supporter
    Yea I definitely like the water flow better on the 2.8 one
    crew
    My FlickrCanon Crew: Canon 5D MkII, Canon 7D, Canon 5Dc, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Canon 35L 1.4, Sigma 10-20, Canon 580EXII, (2) Vivitar 285HV

Entense Supporter
    friend was doing a short film involving zombies

3/365

My Flickr

hahaha awesome, looked at pic before reading was like wtffff
    Originally posted by Nok
    guys give him a break he goes to art school

Entense Supporter
    haha yeah, i went down there to check it out and talk to some of the video guys. They are actually shooting with a T2i, he had some good rig stuff and external audio setup

pretty cool to see

My Flickr

Entense Supporter
    4/365

My Flickr

Entense Supporter
    Hangin @ North Shore/location scouting

5/365

Kauai this weekend... fuck yeah
    Last edited by laowai; 9/02/2010 at 3:30 am.

My Flickr

Entense Supporter
    God I did a helicopter tour of Kauai, incredible
    crew