User Tag List

Thread: Shooting & Editing Video

Shooting & Editing Video

This forum seems to be heavily focused on photography and web/graphic design. Most of the cameras we own for photography also do video and it seems to be a quickly growing market. Video on DLSR's is somewhat new but it's an easy foot in for some of us with DSLR's capable of doing it.

I know Ben does a lot of video work and it seems ballsonur4head just moved up to the 7d and also doing video. Rather than PM someone I wanted to make a thread to ask questions in so we can all learn.

I've been tinkering in Premiere Pro a bit but so far it's pretty self explanatory for timeline use. I've also been playing in After Effects and learning how to some special effects but more so titles and credit screens.

Great, right? Well as for actually shooting the video, there is a lot going on. I find focusing while moving to be a huge issue. So I'll start the thread off with my first question.

When shooting video, especially when walking or using a slider, how are guys keeping the focus adjusted continually? I'm using the 50mm 1.8 for damn near all of my video, if it matters.
    http://chat.efnet.org | /join #entensity | #entensity on irc.EFnet.net

Entense Supporter
    I probably can't give you much advise but I do want to say if you were looking into upgrading your glass and maybe experimenting more with video, then maybe look at getting the Tokina 16-50mm f/2.8 like I did! It's built like a tank and a quality contender next to Nikon's 17-55.

I didn't do too much focusing on my Transformers 3 videos because I was far enough away that infinity focus was just fine but I have experimented and not only does my Tokina allow me to override AF like an AF-S lens, it also has a HUGE focus ring that makes focusing so much easier.

Also a tripod/monopod is a no brainer.

I do use a tripod when I can, I also have a skater dolly, a fig rig, a slider and a monopod. Give me more information on that lens and I'll look into it.

Also, can you explain more on this infinity focus? Not everything I shoot is close up either.
    http://chat.efnet.org | /join #entensity | #entensity on irc.EFnet.net

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinACrider View Post
    I do use a tripod when I can, I also have a skater dolly, a fig rig, a slider and a monopod. Give me more information on that lens and I'll look into it.

Also, can you explain more on this infinity focus? Not everything I shoot is close up either.
    Here is a good video review of the Tokina 16-50mm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCF1Py1w9Ns

He is reviewing the Canon version but the Nikon version is just the same. Like I said before, built like a tank, very affordable and Tokina was founded by Nikon engineers and uses Hoya glass, so really it's pretty pimp.

As for infinity focus, not much I can really say. It's the focus point where its the absolute farthest focus setting on your lens.

Pimpin Member
    I personally would like some help on how people manage their HD workflow with DSLR's. I own a t2i. I read around on different forums but seem to get confused with the whole transcoding idea. To my understanding transcoding just makes another file so that certain programs can edit the video better. But does this affect the quality and what are some formats people transcode to. I use the cs suite so ideas and suggestion from people that use it would be helpful.

ill post a good solid workflow with links and such tomorrow afternoon, i just finished color correcting this project and it is now 430am and I have to be back before 8. FUCKING VIDEOOOO

i mean, its great i love it.

but yeah, this is a good thread, ill compile all my knowledges for you guys in here, and between this and balls thread, were gonna have some good work postage in the next few weeks
    Originally posted by Nok
    guys give him a break he goes to art school

I figured I'd post this, I was going to create and post something similar, but I found this instead. Pretty cool of Canon to allow that sort of access.