User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: this is why I sleep with a loaded gun on my nightstand

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Brunell View Post
    then they notice youre missing that knife in your block, see that the finger prints on the knife are very strange and youre now fucked. terrible idea
    Who's to say the thief didn't grab the knife off my block when they discovered I was awake?

I'm splitting hairs here, I know that... I worry about this now that I own a house.

I put Medco locks in the doors though, and I'm about to have either a Broadway or an ADT Security system put in place. Our house is right where Tigard, Beaverton, and Portland all meet, so there's three times the number of police patrolling versus what there would normally be in this area. When I looked at our area on portlandmaps.com and pulled up the crime stats, the area had a really good report for the level and types of crimes being committed. It's harder for us, since my wife and I just moved to Portland Oregon last summer, it's not like it was in Columbus where a lifetime of experience gave us a safer sense of expectation.

Entense Supporter
    Odds are if you are in my house, and i didn't let you in and its dark out. You will be shot, regardless of whether you have a weapon. The use of deadly force is justified as long as you feel you are in immediate threat of injury.
    It's your castle (land) to defend but shut up with this shoot the person if he's in your house bullshit, because someone is on your property does not mean you can shoot them and hopefully there will be a clear threat to you.

I personally don't have a gun or anything else for self defense and we never have to lock the doors in the area I live. It's pretty damn safe which I am thankful for. I still plan on getting some guns soon though.
    Last edited by Grrr; 9/03/2010 at 7:41 pm.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    It's your castle (land) to defend but shut up with this shoot the person if he's in your house bullshit, because someone is on your property does not mean you can shoot them and hopefully there will be a clear threat to you.

I personally don't have a gun or anything else for self defense and we never have to lock the doors in the area I live. It's pretty damn safe which I am thankful for. I still plan on getting some guns soon though.
    i agree.

i'm not a big fan of how many people have this idea that they should, not even be legally able to, just that they feel they even would, take the life of another person so easily.

if he isn't armed and you've drawn down on him, are you seriously gonna put a round in him? do you really think that's an appropriate response to the situation?

it bothers me how many people say they'd just kill a person so easily.

I doubt the person would be in your house if the idea had not crossed their mind. I have a tac light I can use, but how would you know if they were armed or not, would you like to wait and see a muzzle flash first to find out? I can see how you think that I and others are quick to take lives, but if your family was in severe danger, that hesitation could mean their safety or the other possible outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Strength View Post
    Not if he's dead. And unless there's video footage, how exactly would they prove it?

The problem in Felon was that the character Stephen Dorff played followed the guy out to his lawn and shot him. Personally I think the whole thing is horseshit; if someone threatens my wife or the eventual kids we have, he's not going to have to worry about his trial, because he isn't going to be alive to defend himself.

I guess what I'm saying is if someone broke into my house, and I shot him, I'd be taking one of the knifes that sit in the wooden thing on my kitchen counter and put it in his hand; for the simple fact that an unarmed man is no threat, but a man with a 9" Turkey carving knife is.
    Maybe I saw a different version, but I'm fairly certain he hit him in the head with a bat. The guy was running away and reached into his pocket, protagonist thought it was a gun and hit him, but it was just a wallet. The reason he went to jail was because the guy was outside running away when he was killed.
    Xbox Live: OneOfThoseBlax

Quote Originally Posted by Chias View Post
    Maybe I saw a different version, but I'm fairly certain he hit him in the head with a bat. The guy was running away and reached into his pocket, protagonist thought it was a gun and hit him, but it was just a wallet. The reason he went to jail was because the guy was outside running away when he was killed.
    Yeah, this is exactly what happened. The guy that killed the guy outside his place was an idiot, and that case rightfully turned into a murder case as a result. I get what you're saying, but the laws are typically pretty clear about stuff like this.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chias View Post
    which is why he should have gone back into the house, gotten a knife, and put it into his hand, making sure the fingerprints from my hand aren't on the knife; of course then there'd be no movie.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sissy ass school girl bitch View Post
    i agree.

i'm not a big fan of how many people have this idea that they should, not even be legally able to, just that they feel they even would, take the life of another person so easily.

if he isn't armed and you've drawn down on him, are you seriously gonna put a round in him? do you really think that's an appropriate response to the situation?

it bothers me how many people say they'd just kill a person so easily.
    Some random dude is in my house, I don't know his intentions, I don't know if he's alone, I don't know what weapon he has, I'm not going to risk the wellbeing of my family over concern of some criminal's life. I'm going to shoot him and shoot to kill to make sure there is only one side of the story.

Entense Supporter
    what do you mean by shoot to kill? you gonna put one in his dome to make sure he's dead? and probably miss?

what i'm saying is that a lot of people sound like they almost hope it's going to happen so they can kill someone. or if not hope an intruder shows up, at least WANT to kill an intruder.

killing a guy that poses a threat to you and your family is fine (as long as you don't know for a fact he's unarmed or he's given up, etc.), but it just sounds like people want to have the opportunity to kill someone to protect their family.
    Last edited by suicidal; 9/13/2010 at 11:42 pm.

Entense Supporter
    I get what you're saying, I guess it's a primitive macho ego thing where they feel like they've accomplished what they're supposed to - protect their family. Some people are just secretly sociopaths and want to draw blood and see this as the perfect opportunity.

I'd hate to have a break-in, if only for the emotional distress it'd cause my wife. I'd hate even more to have someone's death riding on my shoulders for the rest of my life. When it comes down to it though, unless you're hopping out a window or running out a door you're a threat to my family and will be dealt with accordingly.

I've just heard too many horror stories of people going to jail or being sued because a criminal was just maimed and I wouldn't risk that either. Silly to think that a burglar can break into your house and then end up winning it over a frivolous lawsuit. I'm sure if I miss and he hears a bullet wizz past his ear he'll get the point and jet. Then it's win-win for the both of us.

Entense Supporter
    win-win unless the bullet hits your neighbor.

should just put one in his belly.

Entense Supporter
    Shooting him in the belly goes against the whole point, I don't want to have to fight in court when he survives. I can't shoot him in the belly then come up and shoot him in the head, that'd just be murder.

Quote Originally Posted by uskrewed View Post
    Shooting him in the belly goes against the whole point, I don't want to have to fight in court when he survives. I can't shoot him in the belly then come up and shoot him in the head, that'd just be murder.
    Not if its rapid succession. 2 in the chest 1 in the head.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by uskrewed View Post
    dude i know nothing about your marksmanship, but even then i am certain you will miss his head unless by accident.

there's a reason that people far more experienced than you shoot for "center mass."

dude i know nothing about your marksmanship, but even then i am certain you will miss his head unless by accident.

there's a reason that people far more experienced than you shoot for "center mass."
    This. You never aim at the head.

Dude, every single military shooting coach i've ever had, and that includes the special forces teaches double tap body, single tap head. and the headshot is just for good measure. hell, one of our instructors was JTF-2 and he complimented me for putting 13 shots into the body of an Osama Bin Laden target poster.

hitting something the size of a soccer ball when you're pumped up on adrenaline, he's moving, you're not a highly trained shooter... you WILL miss.

Double tap center of mass will put him down anyway, even with 9mm

Entense Supporter
    don't forget it's probably also dark if he's waking up to it, or his eyes are adjusting to suddenly turned on light.

i hope you're willing to be killed by the guy whose family member you killed while incompetently defending your own family.

Elite Member
    usa sounds fucked up.

never moving there.

Still theres not much that beats a 12 gauge with the proper loading. If loaded with something like #4 buck it won't penetrate as easily through walls but would still fuck someone up.

Entense Supporter
    The guy who sold me my G22 gave me some advice regarding home invasion. He told me to
    mount a holster on the back of the bed rail or on in the beside table where I can retrieve the
    gun at a moments notice. I told my daughters that if they hear anyone in the house late at night
    or see anyone other than me to get under the bed and wait for me to call them out by name.

The most important thing he told me was that once the person has left your home not to pursue,
    but if you did not shoot him in the house to fire off shots, as safe as possible, in his direction without
    hitting him for the scare factor.

At the range i'll usually do 2-3 mags at a real slow fire rate, and 1 mag at an incremented rate ending
    with 5 round burst.
    Last edited by Nyght; 9/15/2010 at 8:19 am.