User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: this is why I sleep with a loaded gun on my nightstand

this is why I sleep with a loaded gun on my nightstand

http://www.adn.com/2010/08/29/142990...killed-in.html

An intruder was shot and killed early Sunday during a home-invasion robbery, Anchorage police say.

"There were several suspects involved," police Lt. Dave Parker said. "One was shot and the others ran away."

Police are releasing little information about the homicide. No one has been arrested. The intruder was shot by one of the tenants of the Midtown Anchorage triplex in the 800 block of West 23rd Avenue, Parker said.

Police won't say if that's the same resident seriously injured in the incident. One man was hit in the head with a blunt object, police said. The injured man was taken to the hospital.

Police received a 911 call just before 12:30 a.m. about gunfire in the area.

Anchorage homicide and robbery/assault detectives are investigating.
    This is weird for me because I actually know this guy. He was a groomsman at one of my friends' weddings. Apparently, Joel (that's his name) was beat up really badly - he's got bleeding in his brain and spent the night in the ICU. Somehow during that whole mess, he was able to get his gun and shoot and kill one of the guys. He's in protective custody right now because they're worried the guys that escaped might try to retaliate. It's pretty scary shit.

The chances of shit like this happening are really small, but it does happen. I'd much rather be prepared and never have this happen than the opposite.

I keep a loaded 12 gauge under the bed for a reason. Good for the tenant, and good for the police not arresting him. Unfortunately AK is one of the more free states, most states would go after the person for defending themselves.

I sleep with my gun next to my pillow. I also have a 20 gauge under the bed. Hope your friend gets better.

I have a shell sleeve attached to my 12 gauge, so I'll be ready for late night visitors, along with the slew of other weapons in the gun case in my room.

Way off topic, but most badass shotgun scene I've ever seen happens to be from a movie I just watched last night. It's probably a spoiler if you haven't seen The Expendables.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrEnjx2GiXE

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Egauer415 View Post
    I have a shell sleeve attached to my 12 gauge, so I'll be ready for late night visitors, along with the slew of other weapons in the gun case in my room.
    mines loaded.

I hope your buddy does ok, that can be something that changes more than the two peoples lives who actually got hurt.

I have 3 1/2 inch magnum loads...with BBB shot and it takes only a second to stick one in, and I doubt more than one of those is needed. Plus if you manage to make it to my room past the 2 dogs and up a flight of steps, well, I'm fucked.

And sorry Fangs, I meant to mention I hope your buddy heals quickly and fully in my first post.

Entense Supporter
    That's crazy. Glad he got one of them.

I either sleep with my Springfield XD9 or Colt .38 close to me

Quote Originally Posted by coudos View Post
    I keep a loaded 12 gauge under the bed for a reason. Good for the tenant, and good for the police not arresting him. Unfortunately AK is one of the more free states, most states would go after the person for defending themselves.
    yeah i've heard that is what would happen in CA. apparently you need to give burglars a chance to flee or something before opening fire? otherwise it's considered murder

Entense Supporter
    No such law, but it has to be justifiable-- that is, you must be in immediate fear of your life or someone else's life. If the robber is running away, that is not justifiable. You don't have to say, "I'm counting to 5, you better LEAVE!"

If he's facing you, and he's broken into your house, one 12 gauge round will end the confrontation. When the cops get there, utter these two things, then shut the fuck up until you are lawyered up:

"I didn't do anything wrong. I exercise my right not to speak without the presence of an attorney."

This is what will go in the police report, that you exercised your Miranda rights (whether or not you were going to be arrested) and that you said, "I didn't do anything wrong."

Even if it's a clear open and shut case of self-defense and the DA's office doesn't go after you, you want NOTHING in the record that can cause the family of the douchebag you just killed to use against you when they attempt to sue you because some piece of shit lawyer reads about it in the newspaper and throws shit at a wall hoping some of it sticks.

Entense Supporter
    I think I would just stick with: "I exercise my right not to speak without the presence of an attorney." and leave it at that. After watching that movie Felon (2008) I think I would be putting a big fucking kitchen knife in the thieves hand if he didn't have one there to begin with.

Entense Supporter
    What lkraven said is right, and if you are in fear for your life, you need to make sure there's only one story at the end, yours. None of this piddly wounding shit, shoot to kill and make sure he's dead.

REAL Official EF IRC channel irc://irc.efnet.net/entensity
    EF first name crew. EF Survival Crew. EF Marriage Crew
    Search for "hdshizzle" or click HERE for my HD movies!
    MOTHERFUCKING JEW CREW

870 Tactical or Glock 22 or S & W M&P .40 or Kimber .45

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Strength View Post
    After watching that movie Felon (2008) I think I would be putting a big fucking kitchen knife in the thieves hand if he didn't have one there to begin with.
    Why would you plant something? Then it would make it seem like you're in the wrong. I'm sure they would be able to prove you planted it.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by usARMY11c View Post
    Why would you plant something? Then it would make it seem like you're in the wrong. I'm sure they would be able to prove you planted it.
    Not if he's dead. And unless there's video footage, how exactly would they prove it?

The problem in Felon was that the character Stephen Dorff played followed the guy out to his lawn and shot him. Personally I think the whole thing is horseshit; if someone threatens my wife or the eventual kids we have, he's not going to have to worry about his trial, because he isn't going to be alive to defend himself.

I guess what I'm saying is if someone broke into my house, and I shot him, I'd be taking one of the knifes that sit in the wooden thing on my kitchen counter and put it in his hand; for the simple fact that an unarmed man is no threat, but a man with a 9" Turkey carving knife is.
    Last edited by Moo Strength; 9/01/2010 at 7:03 am.

Not if he's dead. And unless there's video footage, how exactly would they prove it?

The problem in Felon was that the character Stephen Dorff played followed the guy out to his lawn and shot him. Personally I think the whole thing is horseshit; if someone threatens my wife or the eventual kids we have, he's not going to have to worry about his trial, because he isn't going to be alive to defend himself.

I guess what I'm saying is if someone broke into my house, and I shot him, I'd be taking one of the knifes that sit in the wooden thing on my kitchen counter and put it in his hand; for the simple fact that an unarmed man is no threat, but a man with a 9" Turkey carving knife is.
    then they notice youre missing that knife in your block, see that the finger prints on the knife are very strange and youre now fucked. terrible idea

There was also just a case where an old woman was sleeping in bed and a guy broke in and she shot him in the stomach as he was attacking her.

Unfortunately it didn't kill him.

Entense Supporter
    in canada if i did this, i'd be charged with murder.

they'd also add charges onto it for the fact that i didn't have my gun hidden and locked with the ammo locked in another place other than the gun.

Entense Supporter

But that's a movie silly

They even taught us in our CCW class not to do any shit like that. Just stick the facts, don't talk a whole lot and get a lawyer. Plus seems like some pretty common sense to me, but then again I know most people lack it.

Odds are if you are in my house, and i didn't let you in and its dark out. You will be shot, regardless of whether you have a weapon. The use of deadly force is justified as long as you feel you are in immediate threat of injury.