User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting my JetBlue "All You Can Jet" experience today.

Starting my JetBlue "All You Can Jet" experience today.

As some of you may know, JetBlue brought back it's "All You Can Jet" passes this year which allow you to fly wherever JetBlue flies, anytime you want, for an upfront fee. I bought one of these passes a couple weeks ago when the went on sale (sold out now) and they are good for 30 days between September 8th and October 8th.

My brother and I will be traveling together, for the most part, but splitting up in some places too.

I know I've already missed out on 2.5 days of travel (FOR SHAME) but today, the 11th, I leave for Las Vegas to stay with a friend in her apartment. After that me and my brother Corey will meet in Orlando, then fly to Montego Bay, Jamaica. Our itinerary after that isn't booked yet, but we plan to go to Cancun, Mexico.

After Cancun, I will be traveling up to San Francisco to stay with another friend of mine, a former roommate from college.

All-in-all it was kind of a gut decision. Seeing as I have 2 more quarters left of school in my senior year, I obviously had to take my Fall quarter off to do this trip. The summer hasn't been a terribly exciting one, and my life typically revolves around sitting at home until it's time to go out with friends at night, or whatever... so I need this just for myself.

I never get to see my brother. I live in Georgia for school, and he lives back at home in No. Virginia. I'm really hoping this turns into an experience that makes 2010 special. I started the year with a resolution to do 3 things this year that I would be able to tell my children about, hoping to make 2010 a memorable year in my life. I went skydiving in January, but since then haven't done much to realize that resolution to the fullest. I hope this trip will be #2.

Here I'll try and stay active with posting pictures, stories, or anything else suitable for a "travel journal".

LOGO SMACKDOWN + GLAMOUR = INFINITE SYNERGY

Wow, that already sound like an awesome itinerary.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the pass cost?

Are there any per-flight fees at all, or do you just show up, check in, and jump on the plane?

Once I get to a point where I can take this much time off of work at once (or I'm self-employed), I hope they continue this deal because it just sounds awesome.

Here's all the info... http://www.jetblue.com/aycj/ Didn't mention pricing, but I believe what I posted below is correct... There was two options...

$499 - Can't fly on Friday's/Sundays.

$699 - no restrictions.

I looked into it, but it would be kind of a hassle since JetBlue isn't in CT yet. I would have to drive about 90 minutes to get to the airport. But JetBlue is flying out of CT within a few months so hopefully next time around when they have this deal I can do it.

Good luck man, you seem to be hitting all the places I would go to. I'd def. recommend Dominican Republic.

Las Vegas is sweet. The night life here is wild. I got to go out last night with the friend of mine who I'm staying with, and got to meet a couple of her girlfriends. The bar scene here is like nothing I've ever seen. Not to mention, being on the west coast, it's such a luxury to sleep in to noon and be able to turn football on. I'm used to waiting until later in the afternoon.

While my buddy's at work, I think I'm going to catch a bus to the strip and walk around, maybe get some food.

Quote Originally Posted by jigshaw View Post
    Wow, that already sound like an awesome itinerary.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the pass cost?

Are there any per-flight fees at all, or do you just show up, check in, and jump on the plane?

Once I get to a point where I can take this much time off of work at once (or I'm self-employed), I hope they continue this deal because it just sounds awesome.
    Per-flight fees: There are some that are unavoidable. It's not a deal breaker by any means, though. For instance, flying outside the country requires that you pay some specific taxes, but our taxes for jamaica was like... $16 or something. Really nothing. Also, you can reserve a specific seat for ~$50 if I remember correctly

Otherwise, it's pretty straight-forward. You log in to www.jetblue.com/aycj/ and simply book whatever flight you want. It's really cool booking all your flights and all the totals coming out to $0.00 The rule is you must book your flights a minimum of 3 days in advance, which is understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Prig View Post
    Here's all the info... http://www.jetblue.com/aycj/ Didn't mention pricing, but I believe what I posted below is correct... There was two options...

$499 - Can't fly on Friday's/Sundays.

$699 - no restrictions.

I looked into it, but it would be kind of a hassle since JetBlue isn't in CT yet. I would have to drive about 90 minutes to get to the airport. But JetBlue is flying out of CT within a few months so hopefully next time around when they have this deal I can do it.

Good luck man, you seem to be hitting all the places I would go to. I'd def. recommend Dominican Republic.
    I have the $499 option. I don't think I'll mind planning around Fridays/Sundays since those are typically the busiest days in the airports anyways.

My brother has been to the Dominican Republic and he absolutely loved it. While 30 days seems like a long time to fly around and explore different places, it really isn't. It came down to reserving rooms at resorts, how we plan to fly, blah blah blah and what drew us to Jamaica was the simple fact that neither of us had been there before.

Cancun is a family favorite, because we have family reunions down there every couple years so we know our way around Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Cozumel pretty well.

--

We're considering going to a show soon. Blue Man is, by all accounts, mind-blowing... but I think we're going to see Cirque instead. Their "Zumanity" show is supposed to blow me away, according the Las Veggers I talked to last night.

P.S. First NFL Sunday = GOOOOOOOOOO REDSKINS.

Quote Originally Posted by triptiks View Post
    Otherwise, it's pretty straight-forward. You log in to www.jetblue.com/aycj/ and simply book whatever flight you want. It's really cool booking all your flights and all the totals coming out to $0.00 The rule is you must book your flights a minimum of 3 days in advance, which is understandable.

I have the $499 option. I don't think I'll mind planning around Fridays/Sundays since those are typically the busiest days in the airports anyways.

My brother has been to the Dominican Republic and he absolutely loved it. While 30 days seems like a long time to fly around and explore different places, it really isn't. It came down to reserving rooms at resorts, how we plan to fly, blah blah blah and what drew us to Jamaica was the simple fact that neither of us had been there before.

Cancun is a family favorite, because we have family reunions down there every couple years so we know our way around Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Cozumel pretty well.

--

We're considering going to a show soon. Blue Man is, by all accounts, mind-blowing... but I think we're going to see Cirque instead. Their "Zumanity" show is supposed to blow me away, according the Las Veggers I talked to last night.

P.S. First NFL Sunday = GOOOOOOOOOO REDSKINS.
    Good stuff. Def. keep me updated on the travel and final thoughts of your experience. I heard the Beatles Cirque show is supposed to be wicked sick as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Prig View Post
    Good stuff. Def. keep me updated on the travel and final thoughts of your experience. I heard the Beatles Cirque show is supposed to be wicked sick as well.
    I saw the Beatles' Cirque show, LOVE, in March. While it was excellent, there was a lot of dancing, not as much acrobatics, trapeze, etc. So keep that in mind when deciding.

Going to hit up the strip for lunch and then going to see Zumanity!

Zumanity was an excellent show. You always hear things about Cirque du Soleil and their shows, but the only person I've ever met that has been to their shows is the girl I'm staying with now.

The whole thing was absolutely spectacular. She has seen O, LOVE, Zumanity, and Ka and says Zumanity is the best. I would love to see O another time, but the burlesque factor of Zumanity really took me aback. SOOOOOOOO many titties, so much humor, wow. It blew me away. Not to mention the fabulous singers they have there, and of course, the acrobatics. It has a very serious chance at being my favorite experience of this whole trip when it's said and done.

After that we walked the strip. I got to see the fountains play to Frank Sinatra at the Bellagio (the botanical garden inside was, apparently, being renovated ), the Forum Shops at Ceaser's Palace, got a burger at Stripburger which was absolutely delicious, and then drove out to meet some of her friends at a dive bar near UNLV.

Tonight is my last night here and Las Vegas has been such a blast. It's $0.05 PBR's down at this pub somewhere tonight, so I'm gonna get hammered there and then it's up-and-out tomorrow morning at 10am to catch my flight back home.

Thursday I leave in the early morning to bobsled down to Jamaica. Cool runnings!

damn i'm jealous as fuck of this. question though... why are you heading home instead of going straight to jamaica? wouldn't you be getting more out of it by just packing up what you need for a month and going from place to place? just curious

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dang036 View Post
    damn i'm jealous as fuck of this. question though... why are you heading home instead of going straight to jamaica? wouldn't you be getting more out of it by just packing up what you need for a month and going from place to place? just curious
    That's a lot of stuff to bring around with him, yeah he could do laundry, but then again he could just bring a small suitcase of stuff and go back home every once in a while. It will probably only take like 4 days out of his trip.

Quote Originally Posted by cowfit View Post
    That's a lot of stuff to bring around with him, yeah he could do laundry, but then again he could just bring a small suitcase of stuff and go back home every once in a while. It will probably only take like 4 days out of his trip.
    This.

It allows me to travel light and manage my stuff better. Not to mention laundry will come in handy. The obvious downside, though, is timezones and constantly adjusting your sleep around jetlag.

Could not be any happier about my trip so far. I'll actually bring my DSLR to Montego Bay and hopefully give this thread more color in the coming days.

wow man power to ya for taking a quarter off senior year to do this. that sounds amazing. I saw this deal on jetBlue and a day after I was talking about it with a friend when I realized it had already sold out. amazing shit.

Entense Supporter
    ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠
    what kind of droogz did you take with you if I may ask? (if any)

kind of reminds me of a fear and loathing adventure, which would be AWESOME
    visit the official EF Minecraft website @ http://efcraft.net
    SERVER ADDRESS HAS CHANGED! PLEASE CONNECT TO: play.efcraft.net

That is sweet! You will have the experience of a life time. For $1000 this summer I got a two month Eurorail pass and went all over Europe. I lived out of a backpack that whole time, doing laundry every couple weeks. Traveling for an extended time is a great experience, you will learn you don't need that much to live on a day to day basis, especially without work! On the beach all you need is a pair of shorts and flip flops, that's the best!

We went to a new place every 2-3 nights, that always kept it interesting. Sit back and relax where you need to, certainly on the beach, but I'd try to hit as much as you can. You will get to experience so much and make it very worth while.
    Last edited by Mizzle; 9/17/2010 at 2:52 am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzle View Post
    That is sweet! You will have the experience of a life time. For $1000 this summer I got a two month Eurorail pass and went all over Europe. I lived out of a backpack that whole time, doing laundry every couple weeks. Traveling for an extended time is a great experience, you will learn you don't need that much to live on a day to day basis, especially without work! On the beach all you need is a pair of shorts and flip flops, that's the best!

We went to a new place every 2-3 nights, that always kept it interesting. Sit back and relax where you need to, certainly on the beach, but I'd try to hit as much as you can. You will get to experience so much and make it very worth while.
    did you figure out housing arrangements as you went along? I feel like backpacking through Europe is the go-to activity for people who are a little bit bored with how their lives are going currently. You should definitely write a thread about your trip as well.. I love hearing about this shit cause I hope someday I'll be able to do the same.

Hey guys.

Just got back from Jamaica. Sorry for no updates, I did it without phone/internet. I'm at home safe and sound, walking through the airport. I'll have an entry on Jamaica up within an hour or two, with some pics.

For now I'll read all the posts to catch up on later.

Okay!

(If all you care about is pictures, scroll to the bottom of this post.)

So, we fly out of DC/Dulles (home) up to JFK in New York for a connecting flight. It's pretty easy going and the flight to Jamaica is relatively short... that is to say, shorter than I thought it'd be. I can NOT stress enough how great jetBlue is with their DirectTV on-flight. I've flown jetBlue for, I believe, ~10 years now and I still can't believe anyone would ever fly a different airline. But I digress.

So we arrive in Montego Bay and right off the bat you get hit with that steamy, hot humid weather. I thought it was warm in DC, but fuck it was hot in Jamaica. We get out, customs is no problem, we pick up my brother's girl's bag from the carousel and hit the main part of the airport.

Within about 15 seconds we get targeted by one of the cab drivers, who were all standing around in a group, and he takes us over to a little booth away from the crowd. He leans in and says, to me and my brother, "Ahhh I know what you here fowr mon". Then, with a little smile, "Green or white?" -- At this point I lose it. I've been in Jamaica for probably 15 minutes now, haven't even left the airport, and I'm being offered cocaine and weed. This is where I finally realized Jamaica is not hype.

So we get a cabby and it costs $60 USD, and he asks us again in the car "you want smoke ya?". We answer affirmative. We strike a deal for what seems to us will be enough for a couple days... say, $40 USD for a bag of whatever. We are really clueless here, it was a shot in the dark. More on the weed later. We were initially a little scared about paying the cabby because for one, the exchange rate in Jamaica (USD => JAM) was about $1:$85. I remember cracking up driving by a Wendy's and a cheeseburger is advertised at $295. The cab ride to the hotel was longggggg, but worth it.

The hotel/resort we stayed at, we being my brother, his girlfriend and I, was called the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. This place is fucking nuts. All-inclusive, like I've mentioned earlier, and the whole joint is done up like some kind of ancient greco-roman city. Pillars everywhere, luxurious and laid-back pools, spas, restaurants and bars. The variety of food was excellent, but the quality was definitely up and down. For instance: the 3 of us all ordered filet mignons at the steakhouse one night. All ordered medium-rare and only one came out cooked correctly... one was over-cooked to complete ruin, and one was very very raw. But for the most part... considering the hours you can get food, the options you have, the quality of the buffets... I'd give them 3 of 4 stars? It's hit or miss, but when it hits, it's great.

Rundown: Total of 13 bars, I think... 10 restaurants (Indian, Mexican, Steakhouse, Asian-fusion, Creole, and a plethera of different Jamaican/American spots), something like 7 pools and spas, and 4-5 beaches (1 beach reserved especially for massages).

The people who worked there go to great lengths to keep you happy, and I mean that. There are your typical caribbean resort "fun guys" who go around the main pools who get people wasted, the music was awesome, and almost every buffet waiter we had offered us weed. Toward the end of our trip, we actually made a deal right there in the buffet.

So anyways, we get into our junior suite and love it. Two separate rooms with a king bed in one and a fold-out couch in the other. I gave the bed to my brother and his girl.

We're really excited to see how much bud we got for $40 and when we opened the baggy we fucking lost it. I'm willing to bed it was probably about a half-ounce. Not even nearly the best weed I've ever smoked, it was pretty mid-grade, but it was a fucking LOT. We have pictures somewhere. We rolled a blunt and hit the pool right away, which had a cool swim-up bar. The main pool is god damn massive.

The next day we get super hammered and I retire to the room for the afternoon hours, opting instead to fall asleep in our jacuzzi tub. That night we have steak and lobster ravioli after smoking some more. The next day we wake up, smoke, and go to the breakfast buffet. Pool, some pool games or whatever, meet some of the people at the swim-up bar. As Americans, we were definitely outnumbered on the nationality scale. Most of the people we met were Canadian, followed by English, and then it's kind of a mix between Americans, South Africans, other Jamaicans/Caribbean people, I talked to some Russian people...

After that we made plans to go down to the craft market for some local flavor and whatever, but oh dear sweet GOD was that a mistake. Please, please, pleaseeeee refuse the urge to shop at a local market. They are god damn annoying, and nothing they sell is anything you can't get at a regular tourist shop. AVOID THESE MARKETS AT ALL COSTS. Not only are they annoying, but you get no cultural insight and they actually rape you harder with prices than most stores AND are less likely to barter with you. Markets sucked.

The all-inclusive resort proved irresistible to leave. The Lady Hamilton is way out in a town called Lucea and is stupidly far away from any kind of other cool tourist attractions. Dunn's River Falls would have cost us $120 LOWEST (we really fought the guy over it for a while) to go there and back, and it's something like a 2 hour drive. Bob Marley museum/club was supposed to be pretty cool too, but it was about 3 hours there AND 3 hours back. Margaritaville was an option to visit for free by bus at 10pm, returning at 2am, which was something we looked in to but never made it due to being too tired by then. The weed, the drinks, the unlimited food, the sun... it all wears you the fuck out.

One place I really regret not hearing about, though, would be Rick's Cafe. I have no idea how we hadn't heard of it until a Canadian at the bar told us about it on our 2nd to last day. If I go back, I will definitely be hanging out at Rick's Cafe. Click the link, and check it out. It's supposed to be sick.

Our second to last day we found ourselves out of weed, but what would you know! Our breakfast buffet waiter stopped by, asked if we wanted some, gave him $10 and he delivered a sack of bud right there to our table while we ate. Plastic baggy, wrapped up in a napkin of course, but so easy... I could not fucking believe how simple it is to get drugs there. Anyways, that was a fat bag too and proved to be too much weed for us to smoke in 24 hours.

By the way, smoking there is so relaxed. It's illegal, as far as I know, but there are no cops at the resort and no one gives a fuck. There were tons of people just chilling in the pool passing blunts. It was really cool, even if you're like me and don't necessarily smoke weed often. The atmosphere is too perfect for anyone to refuse smoking in Jamaica.

Here are the panorama's I made on the plane. I've got some other photos, but here you guys go for now.

1. The Room

This was the villa our room was in. It had 3 floors, I guess about 10 rooms per floor, and a gorgeous little atrium in the center. Great touch. The building to the right is the spa pool/hot-tub garden. To the left is the trail leading down to the beaches and pools (it forks in a couple different directions).

2. The Beaches

This is the activities beach. Here you can go sailing on the catamarans, scuba dive, snorkel, go out and fish I believe... I dunno, we didn't check it out too thoroughly. Pretty nice view though.

This is the "adult beach". It's where people come to sunbath either topless or nude, and is right across a small street from the resorts beautiful "adult pool". Shortly after taking the photos for this panorama, I was asked nicely by a very sweet woman to not take photos in the adult areas.

This beach was inside what they called "Sunset Cove" and it is, apparently, the only beach on the resort from which you can properly watch the sunset. After our massages, we got a complimentary bottle of champagne which we drank here on our last night in Jamaica. It was nice.

3. The Facilities

This is one of the restaurants (not open here, obviously) that we went to. In the mornings it is set up as a breakfast buffet, and at night it becomes an Italian joint. Pretty good food, too.

This is the main pool. In the very center you can see stairs leading down to what is a swim-up bar. The pool is further divided by a crescent wall that separates the slightly deeper, cooler pool from the warmer "tanning" pool. The "tanning" pool has partially submerged seats, and sloped floors to mimic a beach... I guess.

---

The flight back was hell. We couldn't get a connecting flight for the 20th (today) so we nutted up and just booked 2 one-way flights. One-way to JFK, and then a one-way to DC/Dulles. Of course, the natural downside to this is booking flights that will get you home at a decent hour while weighing in the extra time factor of getting off the plane and going back through security. We barely made the flight, which through some amazing happenstance was delayed while we were checking in.

In any event, it all worked out. The AYCJ passes have been amazing.

Next up was GOING to be Cancun, but apparently that place is like at war with itself or something... and it's stormy and nasty there right now. We're thinking about the Dominican Republic next week(end) instead.

I'm sure I forgot something, so feel free to ask me anything about my stay!

Coooooooooooooool runnings, mon.

That's an awesome deal. I can't think of any situation where I'd have a month free, though. Maybe they'll still be doing it when I retire in 45 years. Hah. By then it will probably cost $5000.
    If I spoke Spanish I would definitely go to Bogotá! Other than that, I'd go to Portland and Barbados. I've kind of been spoiled, so I've already been to a lot of the other cool places.
    ________
    Canon Rebel XTi w/ EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote Originally Posted by benji55545 View Post
    That's an awesome deal. I can't think of any situation where I'd have a month free, though. Maybe they'll still be doing it when I retire in 45 years. Hah. By then it will probably cost $5000.
    If I spoke Spanish I would definitely go to Bogotá! Other than that, I'd go to Portland and Barbados. I've kind of been spoiled, so I've already been to a lot of the other cool places.
    You don't need a month free. I've met a lot of people who have been flying around with AYCJ passes just staying at resorts between Thurs-Mon, and working the weeks in between. My brother being one of them.

At JFK boarding for San Francisco in 1 minute. Already met an awesome couple on the plane up here from DC, good morning.

Who knew SF was a 6.5 hr flight from NYC? not me.