User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London & Amsterdam

London & Amsterdam

Here's my situation... Traveling with a college friend to London in a few weeks. We're hanging out there for a few days while one of our other friends works the rest of the week, he'll be available to chill at night. After the week is over, we're going to fly to Amsterdam and spend the weekend there.

Basically looking for any kind of advice you can offer... Places to see, eat, stay, things to do... etc. My friend told me that the best way to get around is by bus or the subway. Please share what you know.

I was in london this summer.. when you take the underground just buy a day pass.. they're only like 6 pounds for the whole day. you have to keep your ticket no matter what ticket you buy to enter and leave. Notre Dame was pretty cool id say check the church out. And they have free tours that take you around Buckingham palace and everything i forgot what it was called.. but where are you staying? a hostel? you can just ask them about the free tours.

have fun there man! cheers

I have no idea where I'm staying yet... No hostel. My friend lives about 30 minutes outside of London, so might stay with him... But he has to work during the day. My friend and I aren't too keen about driving over there.

Any area's you recommend staying in?

My underground stop was paddington.. thats all i really remember. you dont have to drive there. there are trains all over the UK and like all of them run through london. im sure you can take a train there.

the places i went to were: Big Ben, the London eye, shake spear's globe theater, the absolute ice bar, and tower of London. If ask the underground workers where Buckingham palace is just walk around there. there are alot of sites to see around that area.

oh and mybad about the last post.. notre dame is in paris! haha i went to london right after paris so i was alittle confused.

Thanks for the list. I just looked everything up and jotted down some notes on my iPad.

I would looooove to check out the Absolut Ice Bar... Check this shit...

PLEASE NOTE: belowzero restaurant + lounge and ICEBAR LONDON will be closed between Sunday 26th September & Friday
    1st October. Every 6 months ICEBAR LONDON undergoes an extensive ice maintenance, to keep the design looking fresh and exciting and to fine tune the exciting art and ice features.
    FYI... I'm there from the 27th to the 1st. FML.

Didn't end up making it to London this summer.. but I was in Amsterdam twice , at the beginning and end of my trip. Great city, if your somewhat familiar with riding a bike I highly recommend renting a bike and doing as the Dutch do, everyone in the city center gets around on a bike. It is a little intimidating at first because the city seems crazy but you go with the flow, stay in your bike lane, and you are really in charge on a bike.

I fell in love with Vondel Park too, it is the most awesome park in the world with winding paths, water ways, and green areas. Very popular spot for young people to go and picnic with some cheese, wine, splifs and cigs, just find a nice patch of grass by the water and you can usually find some good music too.

If you like marijuana you will have no problem finding places to get high, I recommend getting the house sift mix, it is just a collection of their sift and includes all kinds of weed and it is usually very cheap. Only get pre-rolled joints if you really like smoking a lot of tobacco with your weed. It seemed pretty kosher to smoke about anywhere in the city too once you buy some at a shop.

Liedsplien is the main bar area with lots of places to drink, smoke, and get drunken munchies. I'd highly recommend this area if you go out, but I'm sure you'll gravitate this way anyways. Get a Kebab and fries while your over there, it's your go-to European fast food item from the middle east.

Of course, the infamous Red Light District of Amsterdam.. Get a little funny and make a few passes through here, very entertaining! The girls are in plain sight in little red lit rooms and even smaller bikinis or topless, literally window shopping for girls, some will try to seduce you, you will see girls of all shapes and sizes, and of course guys walking out of doors with a smile on their face. The quality of the girls is surprising though, there are some real hot ones! 50 Euros is the standard rate, make sure you talk about what that is for before you step in though, that's how much it cost me to get a HJ (I'm glad that is all that she gave me, I don't want to have sex with a hooker!, but she had HUGE tits and wouldn't show them to me unless I paid another 50 Euros, I said fuck that carry on with the handy! So if you have some basic demands like that, work it out before you get started or she might try and milk you for more money) I mean, your only young once right? I have no regrets about it. For those of you that know me IRL.. let's keep this to EF, thanks.

Vincent Van Gogh museum is A++, highly recommended. Sex museum was mediocre and strange but only 2 Euros, only do this if you have nothing much better to do. I didn't go to the Anne Frank house but I say fuck that, I don't want to get all depressed about that while I'm in Amsterdam, plus it doesn't really seem like there would be that much to it other than a small area where she took refuge and a huge fucking line to stand in.

Here's a few pictures I took while there.

1. Central station and bikes.

2. Just ask anyone to point you towards Vondel Park!

3. Vondel bike path

4. Vondel party!

5. Super Lemon Haze (2008 Canabis cup winner, 17 Euro a gram is on the upper end but worth it for sure)

6. Hot dutch girls on bikes are in no short supply.

7. Liedsplien!

8. Tram lines.

9. Crazy ass pirate bar!! There was a DJ system built into the wall!! It was so funny, the DJ was workin' the wall and would randomly yell Dutch into the mic! This place is located just down the road to the right of the Burger King in Liedsplien, I would recommend a visit.

10. Canals everywhere, it's like a big cleaner version of Venice really. House boats and cool steel cover on a boat.

A few notes about where to stay.. Amsterdam is a very expensive city but you might be a little bit out of peak summer travel times so prices may not be so high. I know you said no hostels but you should consider it, I backpacked Europe for 2 months this summer and stayed in a lot of hostels. I came into it with VERY low expectations but was very pleasantly surprised at how nice they are. Hostels are a lot of fun, everyone staying in them is super nice and just a traveling kid just like you looking to have a great time! And just FYI girls who are traveling totally lose their inhibitions and just want to have a good time, they don't have to worry about their friends judging them. Back to hostels.. The first time around I stayed in the Flying Pig Uptown, nice location right by all the museums, near Liedsplien and Vondel Park is across the street. They have 1 Euro Jaeger shots, a smoking room with a bong and more, and free european breakfast (toast, cereal, yogurt) I really would recommend a Hostel for location, price, and it is a strait party! You won't always be able to stay in a hotel for partying kids, one day you will be an old man. A lot of hostels have private rooms for 1-4 people if you and your buddies want to do that too. If you have 2-3 people and get a 4-6 person room they might not even put anyone else in your room anyways if they aren't too full.

Hostel booking sites.. You can read reviews, price them, and plan on location. Another great option can be 2 star hotels 'budget hotels' but in Amsterdam this is going to run you 50-100 Euros per night.

www.hostelworld.com/
    www.hostelbookers.com/

Sorry this post got really out of control and I turned it into my photo album but Amsterdam gets me really excited! I am very jealous, have a great time! Was my favorite city this summer. It is surprisingly clean and safe feeling for what it is hyped up to be as a 'city of sin.'

Defiantly make use of one of the street urinals too!!
    Last edited by Mizzle; 9/17/2010 at 2:27 am.

Oh and for a food item besides a Kebab you must have a Dutch Pancake! Basically you can get a thick crepe like batter pancake with anything in/on it, very good!

http://www.pancake.nl/

And as for getting around Amsterdam while you don't have a bike rental (10 Euro a day); the city center is small enough that walking should be just fine. Street trams are another option for slightly longer/lazy trips.
    Last edited by Mizzle; 9/17/2010 at 1:58 am.

The Fucking King! HellBound1987's Avatar
    Just to add to Mizzle's post; FeBo is the place for dutch fast food, I recommend a kroket. Also, liedsplien should be Leidseplein. Rembrandtsplein is also worth a visit.

Glad you enjoyed yourself Mizzle.

I'm a post-aholic ragingbullfrog's Avatar
    i can offer advice on london, because i live there

don't miss out on the tower of london and tower bridge they are better than buckingham palace

Take every chance you can get in London to save money, because it's stupid fucking expensive. It may be worth it to stay with your friend - although considering now it's the offseason, it shouldn't be too expensive to find a good place (I stayed at one of the Palmers' Lodge buildings at the Hamstead stop, it was pretty nice and there are some excellent places to eat in Camden, like the Horseshoe, which was a fucking excellent organic/sustainable brewpub). Anyway just keep in mind that London will be the most expensive stop of your trip. As was already suggested, buy a day pass for the metro - don't fucking think that you're saving money by just getting one way tickets, 'cause those add up.

My biggest suggestion would be to buy the $6 London Lonely Planet guidebook for your iPod Touch/iPhone if you have one. It has a map and reviews and locations for everything awesome in the city, so it makes finding something for supper super easy, as well as finding ones way around. It's also a great introduction to the history and background of London and its areas.

Ninja edit: OH! Don't tip! Ever! They don't expect it and generally the service is pretty bad.

Thanks everyone for all the info so far. I leave a week from tomorrow. I will be staying with my friend for a few days in Kensington and then we're staying at the Hilton (Hilton Kensington), which my friend got us a sweet discount since he works for Hilton.

Quote Originally Posted by kangaroodent View Post
    Take every chance you can get in London to save money, because it's stupid fucking expensive. It may be worth it to stay with your friend - although considering now it's the offseason, it shouldn't be too expensive to find a good place (I stayed at one of the Palmers' Lodge buildings at the Hamstead stop, it was pretty nice and there are some excellent places to eat in Camden, like the Horseshoe, which was a fucking excellent organic/sustainable brewpub). Anyway just keep in mind that London will be the most expensive stop of your trip. As was already suggested, buy a day pass for the metro - don't fucking think that you're saving money by just getting one way tickets, 'cause those add up.

My biggest suggestion would be to buy the $6 London Lonely Planet guidebook for your iPod Touch/iPhone if you have one. It has a map and reviews and locations for everything awesome in the city, so it makes finding something for supper super easy, as well as finding ones way around. It's also a great introduction to the history and background of London and its areas.

Ninja edit: OH! Don't tip! Ever! They don't expect it and generally the service is pretty bad.
    I'll check into the Lonely Planet guidebook. My friend was going to go pick up a book as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingbullfrog View Post
    i can offer advice on london, because i live there

don't miss out on the tower of london and tower bridge they are better than buckingham palace
    My dad mentioned that I should go to Windsor Castle... is that within the area? And the subway/train is called the underground?

Ragingbullfrog, you got any advice on prepaid cellphones? Particular brand or anything? I plan on bringing my BlackBerry, but wondering if a pre-paid phone would be more cost effective.
    Last edited by Prig; 9/19/2010 at 7:10 pm.

I'm a post-aholic ragingbullfrog's Avatar
    yeah the subway is called the underground or "the tube". I don't know about prepaid cell phones you can get them but it would probably work out more than just paying your roaming charges??

Windsor castle is outside London, i haven't been there so can't really say much i dunno i think with these castle's once you have seen one you have seen them all, but then again i might only think that because i have seen so many

damn i really wish i went to amsterdam now after those pictures. i forsure will go back to europe and visit

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I just got back last night.

London was wicked sweet. Ended up staying at my friend's house outside of Reading. We took the train in every day and did all the touristy stuff like Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, etc. We did a hop on/off bus tour... But it was raining like crazy that day... so it was mostly on for us.

As for Amsterdam... god damn, what a fucking shitshow of a place. Bikes are EVERYWHERE and its amazing I didn't get run over. We stayed about 10 minutes away from Central Station. We rented a nice 3 bedroom apartment for about $500 euro's (2 nights, 5 people). We got there late Friday night and left early Sunday morning. Did a canal tour, saw a sex show (that was fucking nuts), smoked some splifs, went to the clubs. Pretty solid time for the short amount of time we had.

yo man sounds like you had alotta fun. im jealous dude. i really want to headback to europe. someday dudee

Quote Originally Posted by Prig View Post
    Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I just got back last night.

London was wicked sweet. Ended up staying at my friend's house outside of Reading. We took the train in every day and did all the touristy stuff like Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, etc. We did a hop on/off bus tour... But it was raining like crazy that day... so it was mostly on for us.

As for Amsterdam... god damn, what a fucking shitshow of a place. Bikes are EVERYWHERE and its amazing I didn't get run over. We stayed about 10 minutes away from Central Station. We rented a nice 3 bedroom apartment for about $500 euro's (2 nights, 5 people). We got there late Friday night and left early Sunday morning. Did a canal tour, saw a sex show (that was fucking nuts), smoked some splifs, went to the clubs. Pretty solid time for the short amount of time we had.

Did you get any kroketten?

Quote Originally Posted by HellBound1987 View Post

Did you get any kroketten?
    Hah... naa. Just had to look it up. Horse meat aye?

I have no idea what it contains but it's awesome, especially for the drunk munchies.

Entense Supporter
    where are the good cheap shops to buy from,and what are the current prices etc

Quote Originally Posted by Notoriety View Post
    where are the good cheap shops to buy from,and what are the current prices etc
    The place I bought it from was downstairs from Red Light District Bar. If you're walking along, the coffee shop is below walking level and the bar is up a flight of stairs.

It was 4 Euro's for a joint/blunt that was made up of weed, hash, and tobacco.

Then I think it was 7 Euro's for a joint/blunt of just weed.

We didn't check out any other places so I'm not sure how much the prices fluctuate or what's offered.