User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Thread: Just put my MacBook Pro in the oven...

  1. #1
    I'm starting to post rictd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    ns canada
    Age
    30
    Posts
    147
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)

    Just put my MacBook Pro in the oven...

    It had been dead for a few months. I had every reason to believe it was a bad logic board. I really wanted to get this up and running and almost forked the $300-$400 to replace the logic board. Then I read about something about putting the board in the oven....

    The oven technique, is intended to melt the solder and re-bridge connections that may be broken between the board and the CPU/GPU/etc

    Well, I knew the board was toast, so what did I have to lose?

    I took the MBP apart and extracted the logic board. Difficulty: not that bad. The MBPs are much easier to work on than the regular MBs. This is the older aluminum model (2007), I dont know about the unibodies.

    I removed as much as I could (plastics, ribbons). Then, I preheated the oven to 375 C. The stories online said wait about 10 minutes. After only 8 minutes, I noticed that the little remains of thermal paste had started to melt....I figured, that if the thermal paste was brought to melting point, the solder would have been too. So I took the board out and let it cool for about 30 mins.

    A quick re-install , and WTF IT WORKS LIKE A TOP!!!!!!!!!!!

    !!!

  2. #2
    Who me? I party. Grrr's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Napoli
    Age
    28
    Posts
    429
    Points
    21 (9,991,058 Banked)
    Nice man! Gota love when you save yourself a bunch of money with a fix like that.

  3. #3
    Not a New Bitch biNk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    31
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    hahaha nice work mate.

  4. #4
    Pimpin Member Hector's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    montreal, quebec
    Age
    33
    Posts
    803
    Points
    19 (7,878 Banked)
    yea i did that with my old 8800gtx...put it in the oven for a while and hop it works like its brand new. neat trick

  5. #5
    Bad-ass Member c1one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SF
    Posts
    773
    Points
    2,517 (0 Banked)
    i get the feeling this is like when people say to delete ur system 32 folder too make your computer run faster

  6. #6
    Wanta-be MOD bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    world
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,986
    Points
    1 (0 Banked)

  7. #7
    Pimpin Member daniellin005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The City of Angels, Los Angeles
    Posts
    877
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by bro View Post



    this sounds pretty crazy actually.. i didnt think something like this could work cause ive heard of this too but wow lol. good job
    Last edited by daniellin005; 9/14/2010 at 3:40 pm.

  8. #8
    Holy shit I rule! TriX's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Nebraska
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,902
    Points
    10,067 (0 Banked)
    That's like 5 people i've heard successfully do this, crazy shit congrats to hear.

    You did mean 375 F tho right? 375 C is really fucking hot.

  9. #9
    I'm starting to post rictd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    ns canada
    Age
    30
    Posts
    147
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    Yeah, 375 F. I had no faith in this technique but lo and behold it worked

  10. #10
    Someone posts A LOT cowfit's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,049
    Points
    714 (2,806,475 Banked)
    Wow, that's really surprising that it worked, hopefully it lasts and it isn't like that shitty rrod fix where you just wrap it up in a towel and let it overheat for a bit.

  11. #11
    Elite Whore thehotdelancey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Southern California
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,609
    Points
    32 (9,669 Banked)
    I had no idea that worked! I had a plasma television that had a similar problem, but I didn't have an oven big enough. I just resoldered the components manually and it worked like a dream!
    [YOUR SIGN HERE-SPACE FOR RENT]

  12. #12
    Holy shit I rule! psilocybin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    International Waters
    Age
    28
    Posts
    6,041
    Points
    107 (0 Banked)
    thats pretty cool

  13. #13
    Bad-ass Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    724
    Points
    16 (0 Banked)
    wow, congratulations on saving money

  14. #14
    Bad-ass Member wordisbond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    socal
    Age
    28
    Posts
    712
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    what? seriously? this is for real? what is the logic board on a computer anyway?

  15. #15
    Entensity Vet danothedinosaur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fragrant Harbour
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,972
    Points
    3 (7,725 Banked)
    Wow that's lucky... just like the towel trick for RROD on xBox 360's I guess.
    Canon Crew: EOS Digital Rebel XT, EOS 7D, Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX
    Originally posted by craY
    Your guy... however, is a drug user muslim terrorist nigger useless "present" piece of nigger shit. I hope you enjoy nov 15 you losing piece of shit
    Quote Originally Posted by makaw View Post
    I will penetrate your anus if you say another word

  16. #16
    Holy shit I rule! ORB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    7,633
    Points
    460 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by danothedinosaur View Post
    Wow that's lucky... just like the towel trick for RROD on xBox 360's I guess.
    Yeah, same concept. I had to throw mine in a sleeping bag the other day so I could keep playing halo reach. Still going...

  17. #17
    Gay Black Wheelchair mattt's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Iowa
    Age
    31
    Posts
    134
    Points
    916 (0 Banked)
    My 2007 MBP is on its last leg. Maybe I'll give this a try.

  18. #18
    poor man's aedeos Spif Kewl's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    ...like you give a shit
    Posts
    27,507
    Points
    335 (32,485 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by TriX View Post
    That's like 5 people i've heard successfully do this, crazy shit congrats to hear.

    You did mean 375 F tho right? 375 C is really fucking hot.
    Yeah, I was thinking 700 degrees might be a bit much.


  19. #19
    Not a New Bitch praxiteles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    57
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by wordisbond View Post
    what? seriously? this is for real? what is the logic board on a computer anyway?
    The motherboard, it's called a logic board on macs. They're the ame thing.

  20. #20
    Holy shit I rule! NotPaulRyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    These Pines
    Posts
    5,854
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    My screen on my 2007 MBP just stopped working - external output stopped too, so I figured it was the logic board. Had it replaced through the warranty I got with the credit card I bought it with, so after we send it in for repairs we got it reimbursed through them (~$1000). Then we get a call from the repair guys saying that the repair is free, 'cause apparently Apple was doing that.

    So I guess the moral of the story is that you didn't need to put your MBP in the oven, because I swear to god Apple is replacing the logic board for free if you've got graphics problems.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •