User Tag List

Thread: car pulls to the left a bit

car pulls to the left a bit

when driving, my car pulls just a little bit to the left, so i have to drive with my wheel slightly tilted to the right just to go straight.

i know i should take it in, but since my knowledge of cars is pretty minimal, i don't want to get taken by an upselling shop. anything i should greatly look into, or would it be something pretty straightforward?

Your alignment is most likely off. Might have worn your tires uneven. Take it to an alignment shop for like $50.

Where in cali are you located?

thanks xgs for the sig/av

Bad-ass Member
    It could be something as simple as un-even air pressures from one side to the other, and being that it pulls left would mean a tire on the driver side is lower than the passenger side.

It definitely does sound like your alignment is off. As parts slowly wear out they become looser and things aren't as tight as they used to, so it throws the alignment off a little. Best case scenario, you go in, they re-align it and you are good to go.

Worst case, you have worn out parts that need replaced. They check all of that for free before the alignment, or a good shop SHOULD do this anyway. If it's gone on long enough with a bad alignment, you might need new tires. Even if one tire is bad, I recommend replacing both because having two different tires on the front can throw off the alignment, especially a new paired with an old, but even just having two different tires completely (as in brand and style) can cause it to pull as well.

Whatever you do, if they come to you and say you have parts worn out and or tires that need replaced, ask to see this for yourself first. Have them point it out to you, show you the loose part, or show you why the tire is bad. If they won't show it to you, go to another shop and try again. It will give you peace of mind knowing you didn't just waste your money.

I had a lady one time that didn't want to see the loose parts, the whole front end needed re-built and it was going to be like $1200 for the whole job.. she just said "Ok, go ahead and do it" I was baffled. Someone told me I need that kind of work, I'd damn sure want see the loose parts myself.

Yeah id have to agree im pretty sure its somethinng as simple as your alignment is off . just get that checked up

Try a few things first yourself. Check the air pressure all the way around, set it to the correct pressure printed in the drivers door jam. If that is correct and doesn't change the way it drives, swap the front tires side to side. If the pull changes to the other way, get a shop or get a couple of jacks and rotate the tires in an X pattern from where they were originally (you'd move the fornt tires straight to the back because you already went side to side, and the rear's would cross to the front). I've been seeing a lot of radial tire pull lately and I'm not really sure why. Give that a shot, and it it doesn't work, get a shop to throw it on an alignment rack.
    "...a true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

awesome! thanks for the help!

Casserole with an Asshole aenimav's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Don't know if youve seen this crazy guy on youtube or not, but he has some pretty good videos on car repair.

He has a short one on fixing a car that pulls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulA-P9c20sk
    Last edited by aenimav; 9/18/2010 at 4:58 pm.

Posting Slut
    Had the same thing start with my Tahoe a year ago, replaced tires ignored the problem for about 6 months. Took it in for an alignment and they told me the inner tie rods were bad. Kept putting it off another 6 months and the front tires wore really bad on the inside enough to expose the wires in the tires. Finally got around to replacing the tie rods so don't do what I did.

Entense Supporter
    my car kinda does this, but i JUST had tire rods put on, i should probably get them rechecked

Bad-ass Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dork View Post
    my car kinda does this, but i JUST had tire rods put on, i should probably get them rechecked
    Tie rods.

And was the car aligned after they were put on? If not, that's your problem. The tie rods help set the toe of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by ling427ttvette View Post
    Tie rods.

And was the car aligned after they were put on? If not, that's your problem. The tie rods help set the toe of the car.
    Toe will not affect pull. It will make the steering wheel not straight, but it will not cause a pull.
    "...a true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

New Bitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Coonboy888 View Post
    Toe will not affect pull. It will make the steering wheel not straight, but it will not cause a pull.
    Toe has everything to do with pull. If your toe is set all the way to the left. Your car is pulling left. Thats not likely the case, only one wheel needs to be off for the car to pull to one side.

Like others have stated , it can be as simple as an alignment or something more complicated. Worn out spring or strut , worn bushing , even seized brake caliper.

Somewhat Poster
    just know that if your tires are past 70-80% worn it could just be the tires. I had a pull, got new tires (they were at 2-3/32s all around, so not bald) and it went away. it was a tire problem and it was not the airpressure.
    you drive like shit...

Quote Originally Posted by zugoi View Post
    Toe has everything to do with pull. If your toe is set all the way to the left. Your car is pulling left. Thats not likely the case, only one wheel needs to be off for the car to pull to one side.

Like others have stated , it can be as simple as an alignment or something more complicated. Worn out spring or strut , worn bushing , even seized brake caliper.
    Nope, toe will not cause a pull. It will cause tire wear, it will cause a car to have nervous or lazy steering, but it will not cause a pull.
    Just think, if your right tire is pointing straight ahead, and the left one is toe'd in, when you began to go forward, you'd go right. But, you'd correct this by turning the wheel to the left. Now both tires would be toe'd in the same amount and the steering wheel would be off center, but you'd have no pull and the car would go straight.
    Toe in will cause less steering disturbance when going down the road. The car will tend to stay straight when going down the road, and especially when going over road irregularities. Toe out will cause a nervous steering wheel feel. Every little bump or steering correction will cause the car to want to dart, but it promotes quick steering response, good for race cars, bad for street cars.
    Camber is the only alignment angle that will cause a pull.

Quote Originally Posted by aenimav View Post
    Don't know if youve seen this crazy guy on youtube or not, but he has some pretty good videos on car repair.

He has a short one on fixing a car that pulls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulA-P9c20sk
    Kind of OT but...Lol, that guy is indeed crazy. Lots of good information there though. Going to check out his other vids.

alingment if not your going to have to purchase new tires. your tires might be warn out too much to one side causin the driftin to the left....have you also tried rotating tires?

Casserole with an Asshole aenimav's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by stafeb View Post
    Kind of OT but...Lol, that guy is indeed crazy. Lots of good information there though. Going to check out his other vids.
    Yeah hes weird but he has some good videos. And he responds to emails/youtube comments a lot too. Just waiting for him to make a vid on ball joints.

this happened to my lexus. needed to be realigned, an expensive service.
    skeptic