User Tag List

Thread: Several Failure to Feeds first time out with my new 1911

Several Failure to Feeds first time out with my new 1911

Its bizarre, I've never had so many FTF's at a range session.

I used Winchester white box and had 4 or 5 FTF and 1 failure to eject :O

I was kinda sick today so maybe I was limp wristing it. I'm hoping it was that + cheapo ammo. Come to think of it, I think all the FTF were on the last round of the mag.
    Last edited by Zoxygen; 9/19/2010 at 6:16 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
    hes a god damn legend, you shut your gypsy mouth

after you load your magazines, tap the back on them against your hand, make sure your gun is well lubed, don't limp wrist the damn thing and make sure your finger isn't hitting the slide stop from the recoil, I have the problem with the glock, it could be lots of things happening, another thing that might be wrong, if you disassembled the gun and put it back together, you might have put the recoil spring in backwards, the open end of the recoil spring needs to face the tip of the gun

I had 11 out of 100 failures because of limp wristing my XD9. I have since learned that the 9mm requires a much more firm wrist than my 1911 does.

Elite Whore
    How many rounds have been through the gun overall? Almost all firearms have a 'break-in' period of 150-300 rounds or so. Also, find out if its the last round for each mag or not. Are the magazines factory or after-market? Which brand 1911 is it?

Break in periods are bullshit, if you have to break in a gun, in my opinion, it's not worth buying.

Hince my Kimber 1911, Glock 22, S&W M&P .40, & S&W M&P 15, no break in periods, not jams or misfeeds

Quote Originally Posted by wildy View Post
    How many rounds have been through the gun overall? Almost all firearms have a 'break-in' period of 150-300 rounds or so. Also, find out if its the last round for each mag or not. Are the magazines factory or after-market? Which brand 1911 is it?
    First time out with it, 100 rounds through it now. IIRC most if not all were the last round of the mag. They were stock SA mags and I just picked up a few new McCormick mags to see if they do any better.

Quote Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
    hes a god damn legend, you shut your gypsy mouth

Elite Whore
    I adhere to break-in periods. The gun may or may not fail before the period, but the metal components still need to form their fitting together. It's the same reason why you don't swap out BCG's between AR-15 rifles once they've gone through more than a hundred or so rounds - that BCG is formed to that specific rifle and will cause headspacing issues otherwise. You also see this occur in triggers - they (generally) get more smooth the more they're shot. If you don't believe in it, though, then that's cool.

Zoxygen, If it's exclusively the last round in the mags and they're of the same mfg, then the magazine springs could be underpowered or something. Disassemble them and see if anything looks obviously out of place. Also take a picture of the next failure you experience with the gun. I always do that with my cell phone and it helped me diagnose my initial S12 issues quickly once I was back home with pictures to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by NASzi View Post
    Break in periods are bullshit, if you have to break in a gun, in my opinion, it's not worth buying.

Hince my Kimber 1911, Glock 22, S&W M&P .40, & S&W M&P 15, no break in periods, not jams or misfeeds
    Larger gun manufacturers break in their guns before they ship them out, hence your big-name guns did not require a break-in.
    All guns need to a break-in done because there are always minor imperfections on the metal edges from the manufacturing process; burs in the rifling and the like.

So why guy a gun that needs a break in period? You're saying the gun is useless for personal defense unless 500+ rounds are shot through it, that's bullshit, who would want to waste their money on a product like that??

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NASzi View Post
    So why guy a gun that needs a break in period? You're saying the gun is useless for personal defense unless 500+ rounds are shot through it, that's bullshit, who would want to waste their money on a product like that??
    That's part of what you're paying for. Besides, you should be putting 500 rounds through it to break yourself in. Every gun handles differently and if you want to be able to wake up at 4:30am groggy as shit and protect yourself you'd better know that gun like it's a part of your hand.

Elite Whore
    What uskrewed said, plus lemons out of the factory still do happen from time to time - yes, even with glocks/XD's/M&P's. The entire 'breaking-in' period for me is 300ish rounds and lets me get the initial fondle factor out of the way as well as high volume familiarity shooting. To me, it just feels like it smooths a new gun out. My CZ-85's trigger became gloriously smooth after the 500 round mark, but I remember feeling iffy about it within the first 100. The finishing treatment on the lower parts kit for my AR project left the functioning of everything feel stiff as well until I put it through its paces, also.

Entense Supporter
    Sorry to digress a bit but this reminded me of a jamming experience I had recently

I rented a S&W9, shot beautifully and really loved the trigger, and no jams.

Then dished out another $10 and rented the Beretta 92.... jammed at least once per full magazine (only 8 shot capacity). And one time during my friend's turn, he had to tap and rack every single shot

I know it's a rental, but I was freakin disappointed by the beretta. The M&P9 was a champ as usual

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by bertbert2oo6 View Post
    Sorry to digress a bit but this reminded me of a jamming experience I had recently

I rented a S&W9, shot beautifully and really loved the trigger, and no jams.

Then dished out another $10 and rented the Beretta 92.... jammed at least once per full magazine (only 8 shot capacity). And one time during my friend's turn, he had to tap and rack every single shot

I know it's a rental, but I was freakin disappointed by the beretta. The M&P9 was a champ as usual
    Sounds typical of the Beretta 92, at least in the military

Not a New Bitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoxygen View Post
    Its bizarre, I've never had so many FTF's at a range session.

I used Winchester white box and had 4 or 5 FTF and 1 failure to eject :O

I was kinda sick today so maybe I was limp wristing it. I'm hoping it was that + cheapo ammo. Come to think of it, I think all the FTF were on the last round of the mag.
    What 1911 do you have. This will make a huge difference on what you need to do.

If you bought a cheep rock island one then you need to have some gun smithing done to get it to a reliable 1911. IE. get a ramp job on it.

If you bought a Wilson combat then you need to return that thing.

Entense Supporter
    I was having sporadic misfeeds with my .45 as well, turns out there was tiny metal burr at the top of the, i dont know the technical term, at the top of the "ramp" or "slide" where the tip of the round slid up into the chamber.

polished it up with a dremmel tool and no more jams. might be something worth looking into.

Member: National Organization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood