User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: China's first aircraft carrier sets sail.

I'm starting to post adidias2500's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by narn View Post
    Complex interdependence means that it's costly for both sides to mess with the other, so by the same token, it's harder for us to get China to do what we want, like with human rights, properly valuing the yuan, or telling its programmers to stop hacking the US government or major corporations.
    Mostly good things for the US to try to get China to do, but is there a reason that we want China to value the Yuan? From a strictly economic perspective it makes Chinese products cheaper to import. I guess this assumes that we want to continue to move away from a manufacturing based economy.

I have lots of Seniority aedeos b.a.'s Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by adidias2500 View Post
    People in this thread talking about possible conflicts between China, and the US... I think that we are to closely relate as trading partners to ever get in to war. A good way for China to commit economic suicide would be to mess with the US
    At this point, absolutely.

But if we don't fix our energy situation, then all bets are off.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPaul2012 View Post
    At this point, absolutely.

But if we don't fix our energy situation, then all bets are off.
    Agreed, up until now we have only been messing with small fish in order to mitigate our energy needs. It would be scary to see a large scale conflict over energy resources.

Not a New Bitch
    Quote Originally Posted by adidias2500 View Post
    Mostly good things for the US to try to get China to do, but is there a reason that we want China to value the Yuan? From a strictly economic perspective it makes Chinese products cheaper to import. I guess this assumes that we want to continue to move away from a manufacturing based economy.
    US policy types have long wanted china to appreciate the yuan because they say it gives china an unfair trade advantage and hurts US businesses. Sure, it would make their imports more expensive, but that might also help US industries, and it would mean a more profitable Chinese market for US goods.

Entense Supporter
    US policy types have long wanted china to appreciate the yuan because they say it gives china an unfair trade advantage and hurts US businesses. Sure, it would make their imports more expensive, but that might also help US industries, and it would mean a more profitable Chinese market for US goods.
    Thanks for the insight. Been a few years since I took macroecon. They might well appreciate the Yuan soon, with all of the inflationary fall out that they have been having.

i say good. i don't like that there is one super power. i think other superpowers would make for more negotiations, cooperating, and better empathy to others needs.

at least, in my perfect world.

Not a New Bitch
    Quote Originally Posted by dkl1986 View Post
    i say good. i don't like that there is one super power. i think other superpowers would make for more negotiations, cooperating, and better empathy to others needs.

at least, in my perfect world.
    I'd argue that a world with no superpowers would better meet your goals.

I saw this first on fox, The headline was, "CHINA builds aircraft carrier! Plans to build more! AMERICA DEMANDS TO KNOW WHY THEY NEED AIRCRAFT CARRIERS"

lol

I'd argue that a world with no superpowers would better meet your goals.
    probably, but that seems more unrealistic to me. not that my way seems to be really possible, but i'd think it's a little more possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Off_Chance View Post
    nah, the U.S. isn't worried at all on a strategic level. this carrier will probably be only a threat to the local power domains of Taiwan, Vietnam & Philippines claims around the South China Sea
    China's claims in the South China Sea:

China's claims are a little unreasonable, but America is being seen more and more as a meddler in the affairs by many of the nations in the region. Taiwan's current government is very pro-China, and the previous pro-independent president was just indicted on corruption charges. In some nations in SE Asia China is seen as a bully, but they have been developing infrastructure in very poor regions, especially Lao and Vietnam.

This aircraft carrier and the new "stealth jet" that China has supposedly completed make the news, but the real sway of power in the region comes from the superhighways and ports that China is building in these nations.

~~~~tHiS wAy tO tHe INTernETS!!!!111~~~~~~