User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: How did you learn how to ride?

  1. #1
    Not a New Bitch
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    If it wasn't for the bakken we'd be walkin!
    Age
    28
    Posts
    36
    Points
    213 (0 Banked)

    How did you learn how to ride?

    Hello EF,

    I'm looking to get a bike in the future but have next to no riding experience other than Dirtbikes. I live in a city where the drivers get their licences out of cereal boxes. I would like to learn how to ride a bike properly without getting myself hurt. To the members who ride: how did you learn how to ride a bike? What size bike would be appropriate for a 6" 200lbs guy?

  2. #2
    I'm starting to post chansta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    153
    Points
    463 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by gasguy View Post
    Hello EF,

    I'm looking to get a bike in the future but have next to no riding experience other than Dirtbikes. I live in a city where the drivers get their licences out of cereal boxes. I would like to learn how to ride a bike properly without getting myself hurt. To the members who ride: how did you learn how to ride a bike? What size bike would be appropriate for a 6" 200lbs guy?
    i dont ride a bike so i have nothing to say but i wanted to point out something you said. maybe its not a good idea to ride a bike in a city where people get licences out of cereal boxes because no matter how good of a bike rider you become you can't stop these cereal license people from hitting you

  3. #3
    Someone posts A LOT
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Fort Meade, MD
    Posts
    2,430
    Points
    32 (16,412 Banked)
    First and foremost would be taking an approved motorcycle safety course. They won't only teach you how to ride, but will make you a much better rider. Check your Motor Vehicle Administration or local colleges. The prices are fairly cheap but pays for itself in the long run.

    As far as a bike. Depends on what kind of ride you're looking for. I am over 200 and I started off on a 2000 Sportster 883 Hugger. I wanted a bike I wouldn't drop, have enough power, and would allow me to learn without getting in trouble. There are a bunch on here that ride. Check out our motorcycle thread.

  4. #4
    Windmill Slayer DonQuixote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    La Mancha
    Posts
    1,791
    Points
    37 (1,097,796 Banked)
    I took an motorcycle safety foundation course. Passing the course gets you your license too. You use their bikes, so you should probably do that before buying a bike. If you buy one before the class, you WILL end up riding it before the class. Just ask me and fangs better to get the basics down first.

    As for first bike, I'm a little bigger than you (6'0 240lbs), and I started on a 250cc cruiser. It would do 70mph, but I never took it on the highway. I learned around town, and kept it to 55mph roads. Looking back, I would recommend any middleweight cruiser you are comfortable on (preferably like a vulcan 900, suzki c50, m50, shadow spirit 750, harley 883, etc), or a vtwin sportbike like a suzuki sv650/gladius, ninja 650r, or similar. Stick with something under 100hp for a first bike, and not a race replica...

    Plenty of people start with faster bikes, but my personal opinion is it is harder to learn on a bike that you can't reach the limits of.

    Also, look at older universal japanese bikes (kz650,750, cb750, gs series, etc). They are cheap to buy, cheap to insure, and cheap to run. Great to learn on.

  5. #5
    Someone posts A LOT cowfit's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,033
    Points
    698 (2,669,668 Banked)
    I want to get a bike soon, and just finished reading through fangs' motorcycle thread. I've looking into a couple things, idk if they have msf in Canadia but they seem to be the main training system in the states. And like divide said, if you pass the course you don't have to take the dmv test.
    My friends who ride have recommended starting on a 250cc or maybe a 500cc, but they've said that you shouldn't really start out on a big boy bike until you've learned how to ride.

  6. #6
    Someone posts A LOT
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Fort Meade, MD
    Posts
    2,430
    Points
    32 (16,412 Banked)
    Your first bike won't be your last bike.

  7. #7
    Somewhat Poster jayc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    302
    Points
    172 (131,473 Banked)
    Like divideoverflow, I took a motorcycle safety foundation course. They taught me how to ride, all about safety, etc...and you got to take the riding part of the test on their bikes at their facility. Then all I had to do was go to the DMV, pass the written test and bam, "M" class on my license.

    I know you're in Toronto, so I know this won't work for you, but for any local mofos around Chicago that also want the same thing, I went to Motorcycle Riding's Cool (http://www.motorcyclelearning.com)
    When Democrats get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when Republicans get the idea that somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.


    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    You know, they say when you talk to God it's prayer, but when God talks to you, it's schizophrenia.

  8. #8
    Someone posts A LOT
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,831
    Points
    217 (154,710 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by cowfit View Post
    I want to get a bike soon, and just finished reading through fangs' motorcycle thread. I've looking into a couple things, idk if they have msf in Canadia but they seem to be the main training system in the states. And like divide said, if you pass the course you don't have to take the dmv test.
    My friends who ride have recommended starting on a 250cc or maybe a 500cc, but they've said that you shouldn't really start out on a big boy bike until you've learned how to ride.
    few experienced riders I know told me 250cc or 500cc best to start off with but really depends on your size and weight. im looking into 250cc

    Quote Originally Posted by jayc View Post
    Like divideoverflow, I took a motorcycle safety foundation course. They taught me how to ride, all about safety, etc...and you got to take the riding part of the test on their bikes at their facility. Then all I had to do was go to the DMV, pass the written test and bam, "M" class on my license.

    I know you're in Toronto, so I know this won't work for you, but for any local mofos around Chicago that also want the same thing, I went to Motorcycle Riding's Cool (http://www.motorcyclelearning.com)
    thanks for that link! always wanted a motorcycle and now with money im itching to get one but want to learn and know basics before even considering one. Prerequisites says you need a permit for the class and illinois dmv site says you need to take a written and road test to get the permit or am I reading it wrong?

  9. #9
    Somewhat Poster jayc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    302
    Points
    172 (131,473 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by optic ice View Post
    thanks for that link! always wanted a motorcycle and now with money im itching to get one but want to learn and know basics before even considering one. Prerequisites says you need a permit for the class and illinois dmv site says you need to take a written and road test to get the permit or am I reading it wrong?
    You need the permit which you get through the DMV, but I got my license in '05, so I don't remember the exact procedure. I know if you shop around for classes, the one I went to was a little more on the pricey side, but there are several upsides:
    - They are an approved MSF course, which saves you money on insurance
    - They let you take the road test with their bikes
    - Their bikes are 250cc which is awesome for trying to navigate the motorcycle course. If you're a first time rider, don't even try to take the course with a bike higher than a 500cc bike, you will most likely fail.

    And when I went they were right on Halsted street, and they have their courses in the 2 parking lots across from the United Center (maybe that's changed since I went). If you go by there (and you're between the United Center and the Billy Goat, you have 2 parking lots with these shipping containers on one side of it. Their equipment is in the containers. They were pretty cool people over there and one of my instructors was pretty hot, but she's not there anymore.


    Oh, edit: Whatever kind of bike you want is cool as long as it's for you. Personally, I'd go at least a 500, it'll look less like a dirt bike and more like a motorcycle, plus you'll be able to pick up more chicks with it.
    Last edited by jayc; 3/04/2012 at 10:37 am.
    When Democrats get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when Republicans get the idea that somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.


    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    You know, they say when you talk to God it's prayer, but when God talks to you, it's schizophrenia.

  10. #10
    Windmill Slayer DonQuixote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    La Mancha
    Posts
    1,791
    Points
    37 (1,097,796 Banked)
    I didn't have to have my permit to take the MSF. See what they have in your area:
    http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx

    It might just be a state requirement or something....

    Harley shops almost always do official rider training courses as well. They did them on Buell Blast 500cc bikes, and now they might do them on hyosung gv250s.

  11. #11
    mod abuse 24/7 Dr. Fangs404's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Los Alamos, NM
    Age
    32
    Posts
    23,780
    Points
    950,301 (0 Banked)
    Absolutely take the MSF. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Even if you don't need it to get your motorcycle license, what you'll learn there provides the foundation for all your riding habits. You wanna learn things the right way from the beginning.

    As for which bikes to look at, 250cc (the Ninja 250 is the classic and a great bike), 500cc (Ninja 500), and 650cc (Suzuki SV650 and Ninja 650) are all great beginners bikes. Don't get an inline-4 600cc bike (like a CBR600 or R6). The V-twin of the 650s is what make them reasonable for beginners. Scour craigslist for deals. Definitely don't buy new because you have the greatest chance of dropping your bike in the first 6-12 months of riding.

  12. #12
    Windmill Slayer DonQuixote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    La Mancha
    Posts
    1,791
    Points
    37 (1,097,796 Banked)
    The dropping your bike inthe first year is a good point, unless you are me. I didn't drop a bike until year 3, so it ended up being my ducati. Gotta stay on your guard, it can happen any time. Overconfidence and pushing it on public roads is what did it for me. I didn't anticipate sand in the middle of a turn I had taken many times before. Luckily I ended up falling on grass with no damage to the bike. Could have been much worse.

  13. #13
    Somewhat Poster ez2cyi1's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    DFW / KC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    200
    Points
    0 (3,746,568 Banked)
    One friend taught me the basics in a parking lot, then another friend took me out to a rural highway where there's rarely ever traffic to get out of first gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by k33g0rz
    the song 9 times 2 represents the confusion a teenager feels growing up not knowing basic scientific or logical thinking

  14. #14
    mod abuse 24/7 Dr. Fangs404's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Los Alamos, NM
    Age
    32
    Posts
    23,780
    Points
    950,301 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by divideoverflow View Post
    The dropping your bike inthe first year is a good point, unless you are me. I didn't drop a bike until year 3, so it ended up being my ducati. Gotta stay on your guard, it can happen any time. Overconfidence and pushing it on public roads is what did it for me. I didn't anticipate sand in the middle of a turn I had taken many times before. Luckily I ended up falling on grass with no damage to the bike. Could have been much worse.
    I haven't dropped mine yet (knock on wood). A lot of guys drop it just forgetting basics like not thinking about the kickstand.

  15. #15
    Somewhat Poster jayc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    302
    Points
    172 (131,473 Banked)
    And for God's sake, don't put your foot out when leaning for a turn.
    When Democrats get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when Republicans get the idea that somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.


    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    You know, they say when you talk to God it's prayer, but when God talks to you, it's schizophrenia.

  16. #16
    Somewhat Poster filmmakrdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    dallas, tx
    Posts
    347
    Points
    31 (0 Banked)
    Mines a funny story. I had been riding dirt bikes and four wheelers since I was 9 years old. First time I ever got on a sport bike was in a foreign country. I was in Thailand when I was 20 years old back in 2000. We all decided to rent bikes. I got a CBR. Now keep in mind. Asian countries have some of the most dangerous roads in the world due to the fact that the roads are a free for all. If you have a 3 lane road, people treat it like its a 6 lane road. Bikes and cars flying around every where.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •