User Tag List

Thread: Nikon finally brings the 70-200mm f/4

Entense Supporter

Nikon finally brings the 70-200mm f/4

So @h4ppydaze

Nothing to stop you now!

Telephoto zoom lens compatible with the Nikon FX format, and covering the 70200-mm range of focal lengths with a fixed maximum aperture of f/4

TOKYO - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of the AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/4G ED VR, a telephoto zoom lens compatible with the Nikon FX format, and covering the 70200-mm range of focal lengths with a fixed maximum aperture of f/4.

The AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/4G ED VR is the latest addition to the fixed f/4 maximum aperture lens series. It joins the ultra wide-angle AF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR and normal zoom AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR in this series that forms the core of NIKKOR FX-format lenses. Despite covering the 70-mm to 200-mm range of focal lengths, this telephoto zoom lens boasts a closest focusing distance of approximately one meter, as well as consistently superior rendering with focusing from infinity to close-up, making it an excellent lens for a wide variety of scenes. Its compact size and light weight make it very portable and a practical choice for hand-held shooting wherever needed. Superior rendering performance is achieved with the adoption of a number of exclusive Nikon technologies including Nano Crystal Coat, a vibration reduction (VR) system that provides camera shake compensation equivalent to a five-step increase in shutter speed, and a Silent Wave Motor (SWM).

With the release of the new Nikon D4, Nikon D800 and D800E, and Nikon D600 FX-format digital-SLR cameras in 2012, Nikon continues to develop high-performance NIKKOR lenses that make the most of the superior resolution and image quality offered by these cameras. Nikon will continue to respond to the demands and expectations professional and advanced amateur photographers have for more advanced photographic capabilities and forms of expression by releasing highly functional high-performance lenses to expand and strengthen the NIKKOR lineup.
    AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/4G ED VR primary features

A 70-200mm telephoto zoom lens compatible with the FX format that offers consistently superior rendering with focusing from infinity to close-up.
    Built-in vibration reduction (VR) offering camera shake compensation equivalent to a five-step increase in shutter speed for effective hand-held shooting in a variety of situations.
    Nano Crystal Coat, which effectively prevents the internal reflections that cause ghost and flare.
    A Silent Wave Motor (SWM) for extremely quiet autofocusing.
    Equipped with two focus modes: A/M (autofocus with manual override) and M (manual focus).
    Macro photography possible with a closest focusing distance of 1 m.
    Smaller and lighter than Nikon's previous 70-200mm lens, yet still capable of the superior image quality, performance, and overall quality expected of a NIKKOR lens.
    Autofocus supported when a teleconverter offering 2x magnification is used with the lens on a D4, D800, D800E, or D600 offering f/8 support.
    Looks weird but newest VR. Not interested, especially since I just spent so much fixing up my VRI f/2.8

Grand-High Poster
    Blah I need 2.8, which is why I dumped the f4. Shot a bit with the D800. Not familiar with the layout but it's a great body, with some great files. I want some hands on with the 5D3 then I'll see what's up.

Still a great addition to the Nikon lineup.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by h4ppydaze View Post
    Blah I need 2.8, which is why I dumped the f4. Shot a bit with the D800. Not familiar with the layout but it's a great body, with some great files. I want some hands on with the 5D3 then I'll see what's up.

Still a great addition to the Nikon lineup.
    Oh yeah! Well Get a D600 and come to the party.

Anyone have any hands on with this one yet? I’ve been combing through reviews trying to convince myself I need it. The debate usually boils down to me saying I rather just save a bit more and get a used 2.8…

My current go-to tele is the 70-300 VR which has served me very well. I usually stop it down to f/7 to stay sharp, up the iso if need be, and I’m a happy camper with plenty of reach (especially on cropped sensor).
    Originally posted by APinkFloyd
    Jamgunner?! More like JamITINUNDERAGEGIRLS!!!
    Originally posted by pachood
    if it has to do with a pirate, a sailor, or anything of the such, im all for it.
    WII ME BITCHES: 5789 9551 3029 8344

Entense Supporter
    I would be pretty tempted to buy the f/4 if I didn't already own the VRI f/2.8 and if I had one of the new generation bodies (D4, D800. D600 and whatever comes in Feb).

Now I don't know your specific needs, but here is some food for thought...

While it does have the latest VRIII which helps shooting at lower shutter speeds, an f/4 lens is NOT an f/2.8 lens. Even though the difference between f/4 and f/2.8 in DoF is almost negligible, even more so with cropped sensors, when it comes to low light handheld shooting (again not such a big deal with the new generation bodies) you need all the light you can get. However if you carry a tripod, kind of renders this point moot.

If you want to shoot at 300mm with the 70-200mm you'll probably want the TC-14E which will get you to 280mm on the long end. However with an f/4 lens you are now at f/5.6 which is very doable and even better on the new generation bodies but you're essentially paying a premium for 20mm less than what you're 70-300mm does now.

Speaking of reach. The f/4 is pretty damn good at being close to true 200mm at it's minimum focus distance. At that distance you are looking at 168mm. The VRI is the best by being 182mm an MFD while the VRII surprisingly is worst by being 132mm at MFD but makes it for it buy being closer to true 70mm (which is why the paparazzi love it). This actually might not even matter to you if you're shooting shit at infinity where it WILL be 200mm (on all 3 lenses).

Another thing is the f/4 does not come with a tripod collar. This was done to make it even lighter and on your body, D5100, that's a good thing. For my body or any non-entry level body that wouldn't be great because A) Can't imagine not mounting my strap to the tripod collar for even weight distribution B) Balancing the lens to the body C) Droopy penis lens hanging at my side or even worst it's so light it sticks out like a retard!

Speaking of that tripod collar. If you do decide to buy it, it basically puts you in the $1300-$1500 range for a VRI anyways.

If none of what I said above matters to you then get the f/4 otherwise get the VRI. Either way according to MFT charts they are both about as sharp as each other, the f/4 being a tiny bit sharper but that's truly splitting hairs. Also I mean the f/4 has better light fall off than the VRI but on a cropped sensor that doesn't matter and even if you move up to FX, I haven't really seen a big deal with the light fall off on my D3 and it's not like you can't correct it in post.

Grand-High Poster
    I went from a Canon 70-200 f4 to a f2.8 (non IS) and they were essentially the same lens. The biggest difference was size/weight honestly. Though both were great lenses, I hardly used the f4, and it was the same situation with the f2.8. When I got my 100L macro, I pretty much stopped using the 70-200 2.8 because it was big, heavy, and drew more attention. Also the macro is just a better lens, but that's neither here nor there.

An extra stop can really be really helpful, but in most cases if f4 isn't enough, f2.8 isn't going to save your ass. If you have a modern body with good high ISO f2.8 isn't as big of a deal. I'd say the better VR makes up for at least half of the difference. Unless you're constantly shooting in challenging situations or are under pressure to deliver, I'd seriously consider the lighter, cheaper lens. Just my .02