User Tag List

Thread: Squat question?

Squat question?

So I am very inflexible. I am slowly working on stretching but as you all know that is a process. When I squat it is very hard for me to get correct form even with very light weight due to my hamstring inflexibility and my inability to stick my ass out very far. The other day just for shigrins I used the 2 x 4 that was sitting by our squat rack and placed my heels on it. Now I'm not trying to be a powerlifter or anything like that just build mass and strength. When I placed my heels on the board I was able to get a much better form and able to go down completely. My hip flexors hurt a bit the past 2 days after but I read back on the thread that @carny made and did some stretches which helped a lot. What my question would be I guess is am I risking injury or damaging myself by using the 2 x 4 under my heels when I squat? The guy the gym is named after (He's like 87 and still lifts in the gym and used to be huge back in his prime) was the one who suggested I try it. He said a lot of the old timers from his days used it and it helped them.

I wouldn't recommend it as it puts a lot of extra pressure on your knees. What it does is take your ankles out of the equation; they're tightness prevents you from coming down all the way and plantarflexing them with a 2x4 gets around that.

From the hip, I would suggest spreading your feet out wider, turning your toes out more and working within your ROM and it'll get larger over time.

Stretch your hip flexors, your calves and foam roll the hell out of everything from your waist down. Typically people have tight hamstrings because they're hip flexors have pulled them and taken out the slack; stretching the hamstrings themselves won't do anything since they're already being stretched. Ankle mobility issues are usually caused by tight calf muscles

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
    I wouldn't recommend it as it puts a lot of extra pressure on your knees. What it does is take your ankles out of the equation; they're tightness prevents you from coming down all the way and plantarflexing them with a 2x4 gets around that.

From the hip, I would suggest spreading your feet out wider, turning your toes out more and working within your ROM and it'll get larger over time.

Stretch your hip flexors, your calves and foam roll the hell out of everything from your waist down. Typically people have tight hamstrings because they're hip flexors have pulled them and taken out the slack; stretching the hamstrings themselves won't do anything since they're already being stretched. Ankle mobility issues are usually caused by tight calf muscles
    Boom.

Quote Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post

i disagree with the first statement but i do believe a 2x4 is to much. olympic squat shoes raise the heel 3/4 of an inch. it's pitched to incorporate more glutes in the lift which you want.

i do agree with your second statement with going wider but i wouldnt say point your toes out wider unless you know you are forcing your knees out enough straighter toes will hit the hips A LOT harder

the rest i agree with but i would look up videos from donnie thompson on you tube he does a lot of mobility work or even better go to mobilitywod.com and watch some kelly starret videos. foam roll and do band stretches

Last edited by carny; 11/08/2012 at 5:11 pm.

KStarr is my new hero. I just did that 3rd world squat mobility wod...10 minute wod took me 20 minutes

yeah its one of my daily visits. it's amazing i also have a voodoo floss band that donnie thompson taught me how to use. AMAZING

Mobility wod is fantastic. Has really helped me out with some of my shoulder issues. Highly recommend perusing

Thanks everybody for the great info. I'll be finished with school next week until January so my gym routine will be back to some sort of normalcy and I will begin to be able to stretch on a more regular basis. I will definitely be checking out the mobility wod for sure. Thanks again!

Entense Supporter
    starting my new routine and stack tomorrow and cant fucking wait to be squatting three days a week to get up to consistently repping over 300 at 205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by mustache View Post
    starting my new routine and stack tomorrow and cant fucking wait to be squatting three days a week to get up to consistently repping over 300 at 205 lbs.
    What...? 300 reps @ 205 pounds?
    Formerly JPH1121 because OMFG NAME CHANGES

Repping 300 lbs at 205 body weight I'm sure....

I can't wait to get back into this and hopefully be hitting 300. I've definitely taken a step back but its worth it especially with gaining flexibility and proper form.

Quote Originally Posted by J i2 i3 View Post
    Repping 300 lbs at 205 body weight I'm sure....
    Oooohhhhh. That makes a hell of a lot more sense.

lol otherwise dude's a fuckin beast.

Entense Supporter
    yeah that just wouldnt be healthy for your legs I can't imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by J i2 i3 View Post
    lol otherwise dude's a fuckin beast.
    Quote Originally Posted by mustache View Post
    yeah that just wouldnt be healthy for your legs I can't imagine.
    I doubt I could do 300 reps without weight ><. 135 I could probably bust out 25 or so. I know at 155, my first set of 16 is no biggie but my second set is a mother fucker (I superset 155x16 with single leg balance reach). 300 reps at 205 lbs on the bar...fuck that lol.

Entense Supporter
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK7m6I5m6gY

embedding is disabled i think. view on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...m6I5m6gY#t=20s)

dropping that fast can't be right.. is it? i feel like my knees would fucking EXPLODE and intestines would fly out of my ass

some people can. has to be a narrower stance and the goal is to rebound off your calves. takes a lot of practice to not just continue going down and back. me personally once it gets heavier i have a fairly slow decent on all my lifts