User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M&P Shield 9mm

M&P Shield 9mm

Finally picked one up today.. had wanted one back when they came out but couldn't ever find one locally. My brother bought one 2 days before me when we found them for the first time & paid $599 before tax.. it was our local store that always has the highest prices, but he was set on the Shield and it was the first time he'd found one. I was picking him up some ammo at another store this morning, mentioned how it was for my brother since he finally found a Shield.. the guy points and says we JUST put a few out. $459 before tax.. my brother is pissed lol..

Put about 200 rounds through it earlier, not a single malfunction. I honestly think I will carry this thing more than my Glock 27. Not sure if I just like the size and feel, or if I'm just more accurate with the 9mm recoil.. the trigger is an improvement over the other M&P pistols I've shot for sure. I ordered Talon Grips for it, & may get Tru Glo TFO sights like I have on all 3 of my Glocks. I have a Galco KingTuk that was originally for my M&P .40c, that ended up also working for any Glock.. and now works for the Shield too lol.
    EF Zombie Outbreak Response Unit

Entense Supporter
    Nice gun man. What makes the shield better than any other gun?

My wife got me the shield 9 for my birthday. Ordered a FOXX ITWB holster and ill be carrying this everyday. She got it for 400 out the door. she also picked up herself a ruger 380 lcp

Entense Supporter
    love the m&p series, love S&W more

Entense Supporter
    Sell me some 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Intensity View Post
    Nice gun man. What makes the shield better than any other gun?
    I didn't say it was better than any others, I still love all of my other handguns. they each have their pros/cons but for me that's mostly a clothing issue.. like my Sig P238 can just be dropped in my pocket with the pocket holster with no belt or anything.. but it's just a .380.. My Glock 23 holds 13+1 rounds of .40 but I can only carry it with a jacket most of the time.. when I wear a Tshirt, I can carry the G27 which holds 9+1 rounds of .40 but I'm not 'as' accurate with the 27 as the 23. The Shield, holds 7+1 or 8+1 depending on which mag, but has a noticeable less amount of recoil allowing me to shoot a little faster while staying on target.. and is much thinner than either Glock. Even 1/4" makes a huge difference when it comes to the width or grip length for concealed carry for me. I feel that my carry pistols are all reliable, and I'm comfortable carrying & shooting each one. I've owned a Kel-Tec .380, and a Ruger LCP, shot a S&W Bodyguard.. I tried the Sig and of all of them the Sig IMO has a MUCH nicer trigger and sights. I've owned a Kel Tec PF9, but this Shield also has a much more comfortable design & nicer trigger. I can't really compare a single stack 9mm Shield to a Glock 23 .40, but I can say I like the Shield WAY better than the two Kel-Tec PF9 single stack 9mm that I owned in the past.

Sent my Shield's slide off to be done in a Titanium color finish, ad Tru Glo TFO sights are being installed.. can't wait to get this thing back. Been pocket carrying the Sig p238 or carrying the G23 lately, put my brother's Shield in my holster earlier and the width/weight made me miss it lol. Shooting the 9mm Shield made me want a Glock in 9mm since it was much more enjoyable to shoot since I'm used to always shooting .40. Anyone else shot a Shield recently?

Got it back Monday, slide is done in Titanium Gunkote, mags done in black, sights are TruGlo TFO..

Entense Supporter
    Thinking about getting a Shield. I'm just not really sure I need it. I've got an SR9c and an HK P30. Both 9mm and both small enough to conceal. But I think I'll really like the thinness of the Shield and will prob carry it when it's hot and don't feel like carrying something so big.

You've got a Glock 19, right? That's about the same size as my P30. Is there really a huge difference in the size and ability to conceal? Every gun shop around me is sold out of the Shield, but I got put on a list for one and am waiting for it to come in.

I guess it depends on clothing & holster, for a while I felt like my 27 would print, even paranoid with the Shield lol.. but then I canted my holster just a little more forward, and it seemed to conceal my 1911 with officer sized grip or G19 pretty well.. as long as my tshirt was loose. If any of my tshirts shrink, the grips seem to print a little too much (for me, some may not care) on the 19 so those days I'll carry the Shield. If I can get away with the 19 then it's nice having 16 rounds vs 8 lol, but the shield is definitely thin! I can tell when I have the 19 on me, the shield is more comfortable.

Entense Supporter
    I'm gonna go ahead and get it. It's a gift from my girlfriend anyways, and I can always use more guns. I'm gonna order an Apex trigger now too, because the MA compliant version has a 10 lb trigger.

Let me know what you think about the trigger kit!

Entense Supporter
    Will do, from the reviews I've read it makes quite a big difference on the reset and smoothing the pull. I ordered that yesterday, came to about $100 shipped. I also ordered a new PHLster holster. I'm also going to order some Trijicon HD sights too. The Shield takes full size M&P sights, correct?

Now I'm just waiting for a call from one of the gun shops I'm on the list at to let me know they've got one for me.

Entense Supporter
    On 9 different gun shop lists for the Shield. One shop told me not to expect one until January. Fuck. I found one 40 in stock, but I want the 9. Hopefully I won't be waiting more than a month or so.

Entense Supporter
    Grabbed one today for $413. Installed the Apex kit except for the part where I need to take the rear sight off the slide. Going to swing by a gunsmith and have them install that part once I get some new sights in. But from all the other upgrades, the trigger is wayyyy better. Pull is great, and the reset is really short. There's still some grit in the trigger, but I'll need to install the last part to fix that.

And I lucked out because the gun shop actually sold me a non-MA compliant version of the Shield. Which means it came with the normal 6lb trigger instead of the MA 10lb version. So the Apex works even better with that. Not sure how I managed to do that, but I'm keeping my mouth shut.

Entense Supporter
    There was a Shield safety alert. Watch this video and make sure your trigger safety is working correctly, or you'll have to send it to S&W to be fixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsQWGS-P9Pk

Entense Supporter
    New mods installed. Extended floor plate for the mags, custom aluminum end plate, Apex kit and Apex aluminum trigger.

Trijicon HD sights ate going on sale Feb 1, so I'm going to replace my Ameriglos when those are released.

uploadfromtaptalk1389291015816.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1389291030281.jpg
    Last edited by vernSL; 1/09/2014 at 12:15 pm.

Entense Supporter
    @vernSL

Where are trijicon's going on sale at? Everywhere?

Entense Supporter
    Not sure, you can order directly from Trijicon's website and it says that orders will start Feb 1.

how do you like the trigger?