User Tag List

Thread: Question about clutch usage

I'm a FUCKING FAGGOT AND WILL NEVER BE A MOD mas's Avatar
    currently in Monterey, CA but originally from a place where bears are free to engage in activities of a homosexual nature with other bears who also are free to engage in acts of a homosexual nature with other bears

Question about clutch usage

Since I've moved to the DC/Baltimore area, I've been stuck in traffic a LOT more than I ever was used to and it got me curious about something.

If I'm going to be stuck for over a minute at a time without moving, is it a better idea to just go to neutral? I do it just to give my leg a break but I was just curious which will wear the clutch outlonger, holding it in for minutes at a time or going to neutral.

I'm assuming both are pretty negligible changes in the long run.

Entense Supporter
    The only wear to the plates happens during engaging/disengaging. Going to neutral wouldn't change that.
    Last edited by hilux; 4/03/2013 at 5:47 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by HipHoptimus View Post
    Hold on can't hear you, kicking this bee's nest.
    hilux.LA

Entense Supporter
    If you can, keep it in first gear I would think. That way you're not constantly re-applying it which would wear on it more. First gear moves sooooooooo slow. Should be good for traggic.

The Fucking King! PrincessArnage's Avatar
    That is the thing to do. Holding the clutch will put pressure on the throw out bearing and it can wear out quicker. Unless I am accelerating, or driving, I have my Civic in neutral with the clutch pedal out.
    he would kiss me and touch me and make me play with him he told me what we were doing wasnt wrong because he was my dad

The only wear on the clutch when holding the pedal in is going to be on the throwout bearing and the springs for the pressure plate. I wouldn't worry about it. Be concerned with not slipping the clutch and don't worry about how long you're holding it in.
    "...a true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

Quote Originally Posted by Coonboy888 View Post
    The only wear on the clutch when holding the pedal in is going to be on the throwout bearing and the springs for the pressure plate. I wouldn't worry about it. Be concerned with not slipping the clutch and don't worry about how long you're holding it in.
    This. I had 133k miles on my last clutch in my car. I do the neutral thing to save my leg, and don't think twice about shifting from first to neutral and back.

i sit in about 30 mins of traffic daily, on top of the actual commute. i always stay in gear, fyi im @151K and climbing.

your clutch is only going to wear in the transition between fully pressed and fully released. sure keeping the clutch floored may hurt physically, but youll build up that calf, and itll be nothing to u eventually. your bearing may wear out a bit quicker but like you said is basically negligible, all clutches are going to wear down, its a fact of the 3-pedal life. i dont go into N on a regular basis bc i prefer not to rear end the car in front of me if i am rear ended, or to roll out into an intersection if im first at the light and get rear ended. once that happens to you i bet youll stay in 1 haha.

Let the clutch out in neutral... you are putting a few hundred lbs of force on that bearing when you have the clutch pressed. The longer it is spinning while holding the pressure plate, the more it heats up. Im sure a stock clutch & throwout bearing are designed to be held in for long periods of time, but if you dont have to, why would you? It sure would suck to have to replace just the throw-out bearing before a clutch...

You could make the same argument on wearing on your synchronizers going from neutral to first. The clutch is a wearable part that can be replaced relatively easily compared to synchro's. I think it's a non-issue to be honest. If you feel like keeping the pedal depressed while stopped, do that. If you feel like going to neutral, do that.
    "...a true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

Bad-ass Member
    If not stated before the only thing really wearing when your holding the clutch is the throw out bearing and that going into neutral is wearing the synchros. But both are way less wear then normal driving around, its simply up to you. Im lazy and like to throw it in neutral/parking brake it whenever im stopped(ive got the idea that releasing the brakes and using the e brake is better for the brakes)

Quote Originally Posted by HmF300ex View Post
    If not stated before the only thing really wearing when your holding the clutch is the throw out bearing and that going into neutral is wearing the synchros. But both are way less wear then normal driving around, its simply up to you. Im lazy and like to throw it in neutral/parking brake it whenever im stopped(ive got the idea that releasing the brakes and using the e brake is better for the brakes)
    Once you're stopped, there is no wear. The parking brake is going to have much less holding power than your service brakes.

In the long run it doesnt really matter what you do from a parts wear and tear point of view. However I always let the clutch out so Im not wearing out my left leg!