User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: the new and improved (?) fitness thread

It's not quite like that here (especially given some of our brutal winters), it's more of a specific function type duty (special functions, festivals, etc) but it would still be cool either way.

Entense Supporter
    Gym I train at twice a week is having its own TV show. Dis nigga and his lil nigga training partner might be on TV!

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/fac...lusive-trailer

haha nice. little update from me i've been pretty much out of the gym starting back up on a light program next week. going to cressey performance soon to get evaluated by greg robbins(he post articles for tnation and juggernaut) so i am really looking forward to that he also pointed me to the best pt in this area so i hope to be back at it soon

Did a meet - squatted and deadlifted only.

I ran Smolov up to the meet. I feel it was a mistake and left me too banged up come meet day. If I had cut the Smolov one week short, I would have probably done better, but my knees and hip were killing me, and it showed completely on squats.

Squats:
    Opened 470 THREE WHITES.
    2nd: 501 - Made it but it was a struggle. I was going way too low on depth. My left side started to cave and I brought it up out of the hole uneven. THREE WHITES
    3rd: 519 (PR) - wasnt gonna happen today. No lift

Bench - 55 lbs lol

Deadlift - 530x1 - way too slow at the top. I had not deadlifted in a couple months and it showed. Even post surgery (6 months ago), I havent done much deadlifting. THREE WHITES

2nd: 579x1 (meet PR but in the past I've never missed below 585 in the gym) - Pulled this sucker for 15 seconds. All the way up except for the last millimeter. I am literaly 99% done with the lift and I cannot lock out. Incredible. I could have kept pulling but it was not going after 15 seconds so i let it go

3rd: 579 - same as 2nd attempt. Clearly I am missing something at the top of the lift.

I need to train with some people that know what the fuck they are doing and can fix my issues. especially deads.

All in all, happy to have done a meet for the first time in 2 years. I am probably going to never be able to bench again unless I get some sort of miracle serum for my shoulder. Not sure what to do go forward. Very hard to stay motivated to COMPETE when I can't do all the lifts. I will always squat/deadlift in training and chase numbers, but not sure about competing if I can't bench

If you're that fucked up and not getting paid for it, why not work on mobility and focus on rom exercises for a while

Quote Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
    If you're that fucked up and not getting paid for it, why not work on mobility and focus on rom exercises for a while
    cause i love powerlifting. there is nothing i can do about the shoulder according to my ortho (short of joint replacement). i got scoped and had a second labral repair on the left shoulder 6 mo ago and he said my arthritis was severe for someone my age. Dr says "Stop lifting heavy - you can't do it anymore"

I tried some injection in the shoulder (called synvisc) that acts as a lubricant. Not guaranteed to work - it didn't.

I have trouble getting dressed. I cant always lift my left arm above my head. I can't use my arm across my body.

this is mostly from football where i originally got the injuries in both shoulders (torn labrums) 8 years ago. I guess that kind of shit can cause arthritis. I'm sure benching my whole life hasn't helped either

might try a 2nd opinion on the shoulder from a new ortho. But i trust the doc i have now so idk. this shit all started about 1 year ago out of the blue. Shoulder just started hurtling like fuck one day and I couldn't bench. It got progressively worse and I had to stop benching completely. The more load I put on it, the worse it acts up afterwords.

i wish there was a doc out there that would prescribe me hgh and all kinds of super drugs.
    Last edited by Tguard50; 6/22/2014 at 7:40 pm.

Entense Supporter
    You dint need a doctor to get those drugs...

yea but who the fuck can afford hgh? i dont even know that it would heal fucked up shoulder anyway

I finally benched over 200 for the first time in 2 years without pain. My shoulders are terrible. Just strained my lower back doing fuck if I know because there wasn't anything specific, just started hurting. I'm literally just not lifting heavy for the next three months which pisses me off to no end

What is Wrong with your shoulders?

Just years of push-ups and burpees without ever doing any back work. Plus even more years sitting in front of my computer playing rainbow 6 and counter-strike with hunched over shoulders. Didn't know I needed to train back when I was younger and I never knew what deadlifts and squats were until a few years ago

Push ups and burpees aren't going to cause life long shoulder issues unless your form is do far off that what you're doing doesn't resemble either of those exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishhammer View Post
    Push ups and burpees aren't going to cause life long shoulder issues unless your form is do far off that what you're doing doesn't resemble either of those exercises.
    the hunched over posture then performing those exercises will. he basically gave him self a muscle imbalance that will take significant time to fix

Entense Supporter
    Yes it will. If you're doing a push, you better also do a pull.

Well I guess someone should tell the military to expect about 1,000,000 shoulder injuries.

Well I guess someone should tell the military to expect about 1,000,000 shoulder injuries.
    The army at least does need to update it's training strategies. Only specific backwork done was heavy rucksacks. Beyond that, you're missing the point that I spent ages 10-25 hunched over a computer or video game controller

No, I didn't miss that point. What I addressed was your claim that doing body weight exercise led to permanent injury.

which they could have if you already had a postural imbalance

That's pretty difficult to pull off doing push ups, bu whatev's. I've doing probably 10's of thousands of push ups in my life and the same with burpee's and other movements like it with no issues. I also have skinny legs. Not sure how you manage to wreck your shoulder from just push ups, but ok.

Entense Supporter
    The military also does pull ups? That's a pretty good pull movement.