User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: the new and improved (?) fitness thread

the new and improved (?) fitness thread

I've been doing a new routine. It involves working up to sets of AMRAP. Last week, I hit 8x225 on bench, which is a huge accomplishment for me. I go for AMRAP at 235 on bench tomorrow. My goal is 6-8. I hit 5x310 followed by 4x310 squats today. I really wanted 6-8x310, but it wasn't happening. Hitting 4x310 tells me I could've done probably 6-8x310 if my mind were right. I do AMRAP at 330 for deads on Thursday, and I'm determined to hit 8+. I've never felt so strong.

Also, my nickname around town has become Captain America. I even had some random girl that I've never met before at the gym today stop me and tell me I look like Captain America. Awesome motivation to keep going.

similar to the lillibridge method? or something you put together?

Entense Supporter
    He probably doesn't know what the lillibridge method is...

probably not but sounds like it could be similar

Quote Originally Posted by carny View Post
    similar to the lillibridge method? or something you put together?
    i wouldn't even know what this is called. my lifting buddy is from scotland and has traditionally focused on olympic lifting, while i care more about powerlifting. his trainer put this together for him. i took a look at it and thought it looked like a solid routine. 9 weeks total: 3 weeks of 8s, 3 weeks of 5s, and 3 weeks of 3s. i attached the routine to this post.

it's doing some stuff that i'm not accustomed to (overhead squats, cleans, etc.), but that's one of the reasons i wanted to try this routine. i'm really digging it so far. mondays are brutal. this week is week 3, so i start sets of 5 next week.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Dr. Fangs404; 6/10/2014 at 7:27 pm.

hit 5x235 on bench, failed the 6th. then hit 1x260. 260 is a new PR. the first bench PR i've hit since february of last year. i've got 275-285 in me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fangs404 View Post
    i wouldn't even know what this is called. my lifting buddy is from scotland and has traditionally focused on olympic lifting, while i care more about powerlifting. his trainer put this together for him. i took a look at it and thought it looked like a solid routine. 9 weeks total: 3 weeks of 8s, 3 weeks of 5s, and 3 weeks of 3s. i attached the routine to this post.

it's doing some stuff that i'm not accustomed to (overhead squats, cleans, etc.), but that's one of the reasons i wanted to try this routine. i'm really digging it so far. mondays are brutal. this week is week 3, so i start sets of 5 next week.
    Looks like fun. Might give it a try after this cycle of 5/3/1; been doing 5/3/1 main lifts and then crossfit football's conditioning work.

I need to work in more grip strength, though. My deadlifts are suffering; can only manage 1 or 2 reps double overhand on the top sets and switched grip goes shortly after. I usually do a joker set or two so I use straps on them but it's annoying to drop a rep halfway through because my hands give out.

is this the new lifting thread?

can we explicitly title it - "NO CROSSFIT"

in other news: SMOLOV, You guys need to do a cycle of this if you ever want to peak your squat.

hit 7 sets of 5 @ 405 last Friday. Would have struggled getting through 3 sets before i started smolov

Quote Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
    Looks like fun. Might give it a try after this cycle of 5/3/1; been doing 5/3/1 main lifts and then crossfit football's conditioning work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tguard50 View Post

Too fucking late!

I hit 335 for 12 today on deads. I think I could've squeezed out a 13th if I tried, but I felt some curve in my lower back on the 12th and didn't wanna chance it. I'm seriously so happy. I absolutely know I'm capable of 405+. I actually tried 405 after a while just to try, but the 12x335 left me with nothing left.

Lol.. You guys can have your "fitness" threads. I'm all set.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishhammer View Post
    Lol.. You guys can have your "fitness" threads. I'm all set.
    k bro - go show the whole world how fit you are with a BW deadlift.

Super Moderator
    Entense Supporter

I did crossfit yesterday and hit a new PR #240 clean and jerk. I'm finally starting to understand cleans and snatches and getting better at them. Also the overhead stuff is easy I can press/jerk way more than #240 but the clean part is holding me back.

I just finished 6 months of MadCow. I took a couple weeks off for travel and due to sickness. I have put 90lbs on my squat and deadlift max and 50lbs on my bench (I know, bitchmade). What should I do now? My deadlift and squat have been stagnant for the last two weeks and I've generally been feeling not as good. I've been trying to squat 375x5 for 2 weeks and I keep coming up with 3 and 4 reps. Deadlift is the same way. I did 365 on Wednesday and after 4 reps I was completely spent. Where 3-4 weeks ago I was banging out 385 for 5 singles.

Should I do a week of half weight and restart MadCow 20lbs down? Any advice would be helpful.
    Last edited by Devin; 6/13/2014 at 12:45 pm.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin View Post
    I just finished 6 months of MadCow. I took a couple weeks off for travel and due to sickness. I have put 90lbs on my squat and deadlift max and 50lbs on my bench (I know, bitchmade). What should I do now? My deadlift and squat have been stagnant for the last two weeks and I've generally been feeling not as good. I've been trying to squat 375x5 for 2 weeks and I keep coming up with 3 and 4 reps. Deadlift is the same way. I did 365 on Wednesday and after 4 reps I was completely spent. Where 3-4 weeks ago I was banging out 385 for 5 singles.

Should I do a week of half weight and restart MadCow 20lbs down? Any advise would be helpful.

If the program added all that weight to your maxes, why wouldn't you run it again? Generally, going for the same weight weeks in a row isn't a good idea. You'll usually want to switch up the weights and reps every week (every program basically does this).

k bro - go show the whole world how fit you are with a BW deadlift.
    Haha, with degenerative disc issues along with other issues in my back, I'll take a pass on that Captain Fitness! Did 44 bar muscle ups the other day though, got that going for me!

I finally bit the bullet and bought a road bike today. I've wanted one now for 3 summers, but it wasn't until this summer that I could actually afford one. 2013 Fuji Roubaix 1.3 C. It was on sale at Performance Bikes for $900, and since they're running a 30% back, that means I get $270 in credit to spend on gear (pedals, shoes, etc.). I'm really excited.

I just put in for the mountain bike unit at work. I heard it's a pretty good workout and the training is decent. Hoping that I get it and it pushes me to maybe get into biking to supplement with running and rowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishhammer View Post
    I just put in for the mountain bike unit at work. I heard it's a pretty good workout and the training is decent. Hoping that I get it and it pushes me to maybe get into biking to supplement with running and rowing.
    I always thought being a bike cop would be pretty great. You get to stay in shape and spend serious time outside.