User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The New Official Motorcycle Thread

Someone posts A LOT
    The basics get easier with more practice. Plus a lot of it is mental where you're focused on doing the task. Just relax and clear your mind and it comes naturally. You've ridden a pedal bike I assume? It's all the same in the grand scheme of things.

Good luck to you on the remainder of your course.

Question, since I'm new to bike ownership and maintenance: my rear tire is getting close to it's wear indicators, but the front seems to have plenty of tread left. Can you replace only one, or is it highly recommended to do both at the same time?

Someone posts A LOT
    I usually only replace one at a time. Before switching to my dunlops, my Pirelli Corsa tires lasted about 2500/3000 miles on the rear. Front tire lasted 7K before I replaced it.

Didn't pass MSF course

the box/figure 8 test killed me, they also took points off for unsmooth shifting and corning

thinking about getting a bike now so I can practice on my own. They said if there's extra room in another course, they'll call me and I can go just to take the road test... but if not I have to wait til next season and start all over again.

Someone posts A LOT
    Figure 8 gets a lot of people. It's that turning your head around at slow speed. I'm sure you'll do fine next time around on the test. Sucks though..

In other news.. Rode my motorcycle for the firs time in a month yesterday. Well, for more than 5 minutes. Back still stiff but couldn't stand looking at the bike just sitting there.

Quote Originally Posted by AftermatH View Post
    Didn't pass MSF course

the box/figure 8 test killed me, they also took points off for unsmooth shifting and corning

thinking about getting a bike now so I can practice on my own. They said if there's extra room in another course, they'll call me and I can go just to take the road test... but if not I have to wait til next season and start all over again.
    shit man, sorry to hear that. i hope you can still get in on it this season. i wonder if they'd let you show up and just practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fangs404 View Post
    shit man, sorry to hear that. i hope you can still get in on it this season. i wonder if they'd let you show up and just practice.
    Was I bummed out? Fuck yeah... but in a weird sense, the more I think about it, the more I'm glad I didn't pass if I truly didn't have the necessary skills to maneuver the bike.

The lot serves as MSF and CDL training space, located in a technical high school - so as long as it's not in official use anyone can go in there.

The problem is I don't have my own bike to practice with (even though the MSF bikes are locked up in a small detached garage on site, they're not allowed to let me borrow their bikes because of insurance reasons)

I kind of have a plan in my head...
    searching for a bike and retaking the test are independent of each other... I'm going to take either or both opportunities if they arise. Of course, I think the quickest case scenario to getting the license would be if I get a fair deal on a bike soon, get some practice and get comfortable, and then get a call to retake the test before end of the MSF course season. But I'm not banking on it.

If I don't get a chance to retake the test, I think the pressure would be lightened and I can take my time to acquire the skills properly... and who knows, I might not even wait til next season of MSF course, I might just take the DMV test if I'm confident enough with everything on the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by AftermatH View Post
    Was I bummed out? Fuck yeah... but in a weird sense, the more I think about it, the more I'm glad I didn't pass if I truly didn't have the necessary skills to maneuver the bike.

The lot serves as MSF and CDL training space, located in a technical high school - so as long as it's not in official use anyone can go in there.

The problem is I don't have my own bike to practice with (even though the MSF bikes are locked up in a small detached garage on site, they're not allowed to let me borrow their bikes because of insurance reasons)

I kind of have a plan in my head...
    searching for a bike and retaking the test are independent of each other... I'm going to take either or both opportunities if they arise. Of course, I think the quickest case scenario to getting the license would be if I get a fair deal on a bike soon, get some practice and get comfortable, and then get a call to retake the test before end of the MSF course season. But I'm not banking on it.

If I don't get a chance to retake the test, I think the pressure would be lightened and I can take my time to acquire the skills properly... and who knows, I might not even wait til next season of MSF course, I might just take the DMV test if I'm confident enough with everything on the bike.
    i totally get that. you have the right outlook on it. the MSF isn't easy at all, and it shouldn't be; motorcycling is dangerous, and you should only be riding if you're competent. i think everyone (that hasn't ever ridden before) has a tough time with the MSF. honestly, U-turns are still a little tricky, but i've been practicing them intentionally a lot more, and i'm pretty good at them now. everything in motorcycling boils down to looking at where you want to go. really, if you can target fixate on exactly where you want to go, that's a good thing. it's just not natural and scary for a beginner.

[edit]
    haha, funny timing, but check this article: http://www.revzilla.com/hub-one-tip-...you-want-to-go
    Last edited by Dr. Fangs404; 8/19/2014 at 10:03 pm.

proud new owner of this 2012 cbr250r

Someone posts A LOT
    If I could click like, I would .. Congrats.

Entense Supporter
    Man I haven't been on here on a minute. Nice looking bike. Still hot as balls here. Though it will start to cool off and I can enjoy the bike more

that's purdyyyy. i still haven't gotten rid of my SV. one of my buddies rebuilds motorcycles and has this beautiful xr650r that he wants to sell to me:

i really want that bike.

Someone posts A LOT
    Different style of riding but they are fun as hell. The ability to go street to off road is a game changer. And our heat is going away. 80s lately lol. Still want a bagger.. Buying another car put a dent in my plans.

Helmet just came in

the strap has a double d ring... I know how to lock it... through both and back around the first ring and through the last ring

but taking it off is a little troublesome if I don't stand in front of the mirror, I'd have to locate the ring, dig my finger in between the rings to get enough slack, then pull the strap end out
    and forget doing any of that with gloves on

you guys have any tips, or am I stuck looking like a fool for a little while

and actually yanking the helmet off of my head also feels awkward... it's like 2 stages:
    1 pulling half way off
    2 readjust grip on strap ends for more leverage to pull entirely off

Someone posts A LOT
    Yours doesn't have a pull on the inside ring? See attachment

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410909704.066057.jpg

If you have a pull on your ring, all you have to do is pull the attached pull to the outside, in turn will loosen the strap and you pull out. It's like second nature with mine, so I don't think about it.

If yours doesn't, you are doing it the right way. I always take my gloves off when removing my helmet. I have a large gauntlet glove which are really padded.

They also make snaps. You can turn your ring strap into a buckle, almost like a seat belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh yes there is a red pull on one of the rings, now I know what it's for

Someone posts A LOT
    Lol, yeah pull that towards the outside and it'll loosen up quickly. I'd still do it without gloves

first day of riding... aka parking lot riding

Have yet gotten down the smooth clutch/throttle actions at low speeds and start/stops, it doesn't help that 1st gear is so choppy at low revs so I end up over compensating by rolling on too much, then rolling back too much, etc
    2nd gear is smoother, but the speed is slightly uncomfortable for tight turning in the parking lot... then when I'm using the clutch to control the speed, my hands just aren't sensitive enough

if the black is where the clutch is engaged, orange the friction zone, and green is where the clutch is disengaged.. I think I can feel the start of the friction zone (marked by the tall bolded red line) but I can't seem to tell where the rest of the friction zone is, maybe because I'm going so slow... so I'm continuously at the underlined bit, which doesn't help with the smoothness

lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

On the roads I'm fine, but it feels like I'm going at the correct speed but the indicated speed is actually lower than the road limit and I can see cars behind me
    I also don't know when to change gears, especially downshifting, I've been in 3rd gear and if there's a stop sign ahead I pull in the clutch the whole time and just step down to first and using the front brake only

definitely getting back on the horse tomorrow... 10/12/14 is when my re-ride test for the MSF is scheduled.

Someone posts A LOT
    Just keep practicing. Each bike handles differently at lower speed. My 1125R sucks in slow traffic but the FXRS does great. And I downshift as I come to any stop light or sign. Easier for me to figure out what gear I'm in. Good luck on your upcoming test, I'm sure you'll do fine. Just keep practicing.

WOOOO I'm official! now the real stuff begins