User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Galaxy S5

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vernSL View Post
    I'm going to be returning my S5 tomorrow. Just not that thrilled about it. My old Moto X is quicker than the S5 even though the processor is much slower. Opening apps, multitasking, etc are all faster on my Moto X.

I'll be waiting for the Moto X+1 and all the other phones to be announced the first week of Sep and make a decision for a new phone then.

But for those looking for a case, I ended up purchasing a bunch and the Magpul case is by far my favorite. I'll probably have some accessories left over that I won't be able to return if anyone is interested.
    Post some pics up if you can.

Entense Supporter
    I ended up returning a couple cases. But this is what I still have:

Black Magpul Case: http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG476/cases
    Gray Magpul Case: http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG476/cases
    Otterbox Preserver: http://www.amazon.com/Otterbox-Prese.../dp/B00IYXL9NC
    New Trent Trentius Case: http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-Ultr.../dp/B00KB9AWEE
    Unused glass screen protector: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KB5FNMY
    Unused pack of plastic protectors: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IX1MCJK

I also have a 32GB microSD card, and a wireless charging coil for under the battery cover.

Been seriously consider this phone, but then found this on reddit and am considering the Xperia. I haven't played with one yet so I'm not sure. Any pros/cons from actual S5 users (I have an S3 currently).

pseudointellectual hipster Snuffaluffagus's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    I'd like to see some more Xperia reviews. And isn't the z3 coming soon?

This definitely confirmed my need to get the OnePlus One though. Looks so good.

Im interested in the one plus but you cannot get it for Verizon so far. That reddit makes a strong case for the Xperia phones
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerWoods2 View Post
    Sorry man, I only have two modes... rape or post about idiots.

Entense Supporter
    Only because so many people still read this thread:

I tried to update my Galaxy S3 to Task's AOKP for 8/24. It was a dude, stuck in loop. Got back to an older version he had, worked. When I got on, I had no data. FIgured I might have wiped the modem somehow, but was unsure. Now, I tried installing CM 11 m9 and still not able to get data over cell. I get full cell signal, I tried turning it off and on. I tried turning data off and on.

Any ideas? Do I need a different modem to match with 4.4? I'm at a loss...

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffaluffagus View Post
    Only because so many people still read this thread:

I tried to update my Galaxy S3 to Task's AOKP for 8/24. It was a dude, stuck in loop. Got back to an older version he had, worked. When I got on, I had no data. FIgured I might have wiped the modem somehow, but was unsure. Now, I tried installing CM 11 m9 and still not able to get data over cell. I get full cell signal, I tried turning it off and on. I tried turning data off and on.

Any ideas? Do I need a different modem to match with 4.4? I'm at a loss...
    Let's clarify something here first. "I had no data" = no data connection to the cell tower? Or no data as in, all your pics and applications are gone?

Next, boot loops fucking blow. I had one and had to reflash back to stock with Odin, re-root, and then flash back to Task's AOKP. I hated every second of it. It sounds like it was just a shitty installation because those can happen sometimes (that's exactly what happened with mine). I usually make sure I wipe the data and dalvic cache mutiple times to make sure the recovery got everything. Probably unnecessary, but it makes me feel better.

When you flash Task's ROM, he doesn't include a modem with his build. I want to say when you flash, it reverts back to the original modem that was installed on the phone, but I could be wrong. In any case, you'd have to find a modem off of XDA (that's specific to your carrier I believe) and flash it each time after you flash his ROM if you want to use a new modem.

Entense Supporter
    Data as in from the cell tower. I got connection for calls and texts, just no Internet, couldn't download music messages.

I think that was it. I installed cm11 and then had titanium backup revert my phone id that got messed up and it fixed it. I still don't have gps for some reason, but at least data working is fine for now.

Are you still using Task or gone with something else? It doesn't help that I have a three year old phone that people aren't working on software as often for. I think the end of this month I'll be upgrading anyway.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffaluffagus View Post
    Data as in from the cell tower. I got connection for calls and texts, just no Internet, couldn't download music messages.

I think that was it. I installed cm11 and then had titanium backup revert my phone id that got messed up and it fixed it. I still don't have gps for some reason, but at least data working is fine for now.

Are you still using Task or gone with something else? It doesn't help that I have a three year old phone that people aren't working on software as often for. I think the end of this month I'll be upgrading anyway.
    Nah I upgraded to the Galaxy S5 and I don't believe Task has a build for that phone. As of now, honestly, the out of box S5 is working really well. Very smooth, no complaints.. even with the bloatware. I just made sure to disable all of that crap and delete what I didn't need the second I turned the phone on. Very happy with it so far. I rooted my phone to save time for later, but haven't put a custom ROM on it yet.

Entense Supporter
    Good to hear. I'm looking at the 1+1, getting a hands on look in two weeks with a friend when I visit Seattle. Otherwise, the iPhone 6 might look good, or that Xperia looks great.

I'm going to probably do the RUU and go pure stock for the next few weeks just to keep from bricking myself.

havingaseriouslylooseanus
    I swear one of these days I'm going to run this phone over with a fucking truck.

The other day I was forced to update (Is there a way to disable it automatically checking for updates? Fucking annoying). Now I keep getting reminded to subscribe to voicemail by the shitty app that's constantly running. I need to root this thing, like yesterday. Any updated methods here? The method @Blade posted earlier doesn't work :'(

Quote Originally Posted by Elastic View Post
    I swear one of these days I'm going to run this phone over with a fucking truck.

The other day I was forced to update (Is there a way to disable it automatically checking for updates? Fucking annoying). Now I keep getting reminded to subscribe to voicemail by the shitty app that's constantly running. I need to root this thing, like yesterday. Any updated methods here? The method @Blade posted earlier doesn't work :'(
    Have never had those problems. Who's your carrier?
    Seems Legit - Nitro - Hollywood Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by LEGIT View Post
    Have never had those problems. Who's your carrier?
    Verizon

Just an FYI I don't have a voice mailbox set up on my phone (don't need my job contacting me telling me I have to come in). Now this shit is trying to get me to set it up and it's pissing me off.

Entense Supporter
    Just disable the visual voicemail app.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by vernSL View Post
    Just disable the visual voicemail app.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    Tried that, can't. I can force stop it but it starts itself up again within a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Elastic View Post

mine did this. I have verizon. S5.
    I just went through the procedure. then killed the program and restarted. I also had to go reset up my voicemail. But all is back to normal.

BUT now i get to video call people on verizon with an S5. You have that little video camera on the dialer? Verizon now has HD voice. But you need to enable it on the features. on the Verizon website. Let me know if you want a screen shot.

apparently that didn't work. just found out my inbox was full.. fucking thing didnt notify me of new voicemails

Quote Originally Posted by GMS [AP] View Post
    apparently that didn't work. just found out my inbox was full.. fucking thing didnt notify me of new voicemails
    Haha. I just rooted mine today. Here's what I posted on the xda-developers site.

"Hello all. I followed the instructions on the OP to the T and everything went well, except for one small detail...

When I enter download mode, I see the following....

SYSTEM STATUS: Custom

Did this just void my warranty? If not, how do I go about going back to stock in the event I need to bring my phone to VZW for service? I currently disabled the SDM service using No Bloat Free so that I do not get forced into OTA updates. Thanks in advance!"

Also, noob question. Besides getting rid of this shitty bloatware and disabling OTA, what else can I do with this phone now that it's rooted?

well I finally got the visual voice mail to work, and its pretty cool. No longer have to dial in. Can see who left the message, how long it is. I can also save it to my phone or attached the voice mail as an email or whatever.

Pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by GMS [AP] View Post
    well I finally got the visual voice mail to work, and its pretty cool. No longer have to dial in. Can see who left the message, how long it is. I can also save it to my phone or attached the voice mail as an email or whatever.

Pretty cool.
    Disable that junk and get google voice. It transcribes the messages for you and texts it to you.