User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Galaxy S5

Entense Supporter

Galaxy S5

Put the order in last night. Pretty pumped for it to show up. It'll be a nice upgrade from the S3 even though I'm going to miss that phone.

Any of you guys have it yet?

I was debating between the S5 and One (m8) but I thought the S5 won hands down when I was playing around with both of them in the store.

Also, @vernSL, xoskins is no longer in business I was going to buy a wet screen protector for the S5 and just saw they went out of business on June 1st.. their screen protector has been flawless for me for the last 2 years on the S3.

what made you choose S5 over m8? I'm still waiting to pull the trigger,

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BAM720 View Post
    what made you choose S5 over m8? I'm still waiting to pull the trigger,
    The camera is my deal breaker. I compared both cameras and just felt like the S5's colors were more vibrant and real. The m8 is promoting the whole front/back focus thing as a selling point, but the S5 has the same exact feature already.

I'm also a fan of the hardware keys that the S5 has because I'm so used to it with the S3. And last but certainly not least, the placement of the keyboard on the m8 really pissed me off. I like the keyboard flush to the bottom of the phone's screen, but on the m8, it has to be raised above the software keys so typing was going to take a little bit of getting used to since I'd have to move my fingers up a little more. It made it uncomfortable to type.

thanks for sharing. I feel like my S3 camera is crap, how did you feel the S5 comapres?

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BAM720 View Post
    thanks for sharing. I feel like my S3 camera is crap, how did you feel the S5 comapres?
    I'm surprised you said that actually. This was the one of the first pictures I took with the S3 and I thought it was amazing. I lowered the res on this pic because it was huge. I have the original if you want it. The colors are awesome:

After I rooted my phone and starting using a custom ROM, the camera quality dropped unfortunately, but not by too much. The developer didn't focus too much on the camera. So the clean, crisp pictures I was used to with the AT&T stock build took a bit of a dip when I installed the ROM.

The S5 gets delivered today.. I'll snap a pic of one of the parks near my office tomorrow or Friday that has similar colors to the pic above and post it here so we can take a look at the comparison. It looked awesome in the store though.

Entense Supporter
    Just got the S5 today. So far I like it a lot. The camera is great, haven't had a chance to get any good shots though. There's some cool features in there to create a virtual tour of something and auto airbrushing which I thought was interesting. S Health I'll never ever use, maybe once or twice to check my bpm's after I'm done lifting or running but that's about it.

Real quick and snappy. I don't see a need to load a custom ROM on here just yet but we'll see how that goes because I like tinkering. Came loaded with a ton of AT&T apps which I disabled immediately so they shouldn't be an issue. It comes preloaded with this flipbook thing called My Magazine to get aggregated news on so I'll try that out over the next couple days to see how that goes. It has this interesting "Emergency" feature which I tested out a bit. Once you enable it, you hit the power button three times and it will take a picture with the front camera, rear camera, record audio for 10 seconds, and record you GPS location and throw it all into a text message that gets sent to a primary contact that you designate. Thought that was pretty cool.

Hover gestures I'll probably never use since the phone is waterproof to begin with. Limited functionality with the LED which I'm not too happy about. It blinks blue for ALL applications. I like having different colors for different app notifications.

Anyway, that's it for now. It's more or less the same as the S3, just with some faster hardware and a better camera.

Flipboard is awesome I've been using it for a while mostly for tech feeds. You can customize it with your social too. Interesting emergency feature. I was going to build an app to do something like that. I think I have a cracked glass over my camera that's causing me some issues. I really don't think the s3 camera has anything comparable to iphone pics I see, but I also have a Nikon DSLR that makes me be picky about what I see and want to shoot anyway.

Entense Supporter
    Ive had the S5 for about 2 months. Snapchat has a yellow led, and WhatsApp shows up green. I get the blue one also for main messages. Red for low battery.. Maybe theres a setting in there you need to change? I didn't install any LED controlling apps either.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by wastedkila View Post
    Ive had the S5 for about 2 months. Snapchat has a yellow led, and WhatsApp shows up green. I get the blue one also for main messages. Red for low battery.. Maybe theres a setting in there you need to change? I didn't install any LED controlling apps either.
    I wound up buying "LEDBlinker Pro" for like 2 bucks. Does everything I need and I'm happy now.

I have very specific colors for each application and it's been like that for the last two years so whatever came stock just wasn't going to cut it.

Orange for work email.
    White for sms/mms/hangouts.
    Blue for facebook.
    Green for gmail.
    Yellow for snapchat.
    Yellow/Orange for instagram.
    Red for a missed call.
    Yellow/Green for Google Voice/Voicemail.

Entense Supporter
    I thought you originally meant that your leds were flashing any color besides blue. Was there any free alternatives?

Entense Supporter
    I thought you originally meant that your leds were flashing any color besides blue. Was there any free alternatives?
    There were, but with limited functionality. A lot of LED changing apps require root access so you can only change the color for certain apps, but not all. Since my phone isn't rooted (yet, still thinking about it), my options were small. Somehow the developer for LEDBlinker found a way around the root limitation though.

Entense Supporter
    I rooted my phone using towel root since the normal way with Odin wasn't working strangely.. Xposed framework was breaking it and causing major battery issues and my s health was broken. I haven't installed it since but kept the root and it's been great.

Entense Supporter
    I rooted my phone using towel root since the normal way with Odin wasn't working strangely.. Xposed framework was breaking it and causing major battery issues and my s health was broken. I haven't installed it since but kept the root and it's been great.
    Hmm couple questions since you've piqued my interest.

Towel Root from here? http://towelroot.com/

What are the steps to root? Just install and run the apk?

Did you have to download SuperUser at all afterwards?

Did rooting it with towel root cause any stock functionality to break?

Entense Supporter
    Pretty much that simple. Didn't trigger a Knox increase either. You can't update the phone but you can flash it back to stock using Odin.

Download. Install apk. Push the "make it rain" button. It'll restart and take like 2 minutes at most. Install supersu from the website not from the play store and update binaries. Restart phone and your done. So easy.

Entense Supporter
    Also you will lose function to private mode. You'll disable Knox in supersu aswell

Entense Supporter
    Pretty much that simple. Didn't trigger a Knox increase either. You can't update the phone but you can flash it back to stock using Odin.

Download. Install apk. Push the "make it rain" button. It'll restart and take like 2 minutes at most. Install supersu from the website not from the play store and update binaries. Restart phone and your done. So easy.
    Install supersu from where? And update which binaries?

Entense Supporter
    Also you will lose function to private mode. You'll disable Knox in supersu aswell
    Wasn't gonna use Private mode anyway.. no big deal.

Entense Supporter
    http://download.chainfire.eu/282/SuperSU/

After you install you don't need to update the binaries. It will remind you though anyways. It'll suggest you disable Knox also which you should disable.

http://galaxys5root.com/ has some good information on rooting and custom roms. I've followed him before on his other sites for rooting the S2 and S4 in the past.

I thought you had to update them, but you don't actually have to. There has been no harm in having the latest binaries though.
    Last edited by wastedkila; 6/20/2014 at 1:05 pm.

Entense Supporter
    http://download.chainfire.eu/282/SuperSU/

After you install you'll need to update the binaries. It will remind you. It'll suggest you disable Knox also which you should disable.
    God damn it. It formatted the data partition.

Entense Supporter
    how in the hell did it do that? You can flash a stock rom for your phone. AT&T should have one available on http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/