User Tag List

Thread: (M) I don't spend any money there but it pisses me off knowing they get our tax dollars.

(M) I don't spend any money there but it pisses me off knowing they get our tax dollars.

Engorged Member H.I. McDunnough's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    http://blog.walmart.com/fact-check-t...orporate-daddy

Meh who knew there are two sides to every story. Quit drinking the koolaid holmes

The minimum wage is yet another instance of the government, perpetually shortsighted, messing with the mechanics of Capitalism.

Where does the extra money come from?
    Companies don't have an infinite supply of cash that they can, on a whim, just split up between their employees. The extra cash that goes to paying higher wages needs to be recouped. There are three basic ways to do this: cut workers, raise prices, or grow the company at a faster rate than the cash is lost to wages.

Does it really help the recipients?
    The "growing the company" option is iffy and extremely difficult so it is usually not the solution to a lower bottom line due to government mandated wage increases. Usually, the first stage consists of cutting the labor force. Essentially, a portion of the very people you are trying to help will be worse off because they lost their job. Additionally, other companies are using the same labor force reduction strategy so finding a new job becomes more difficult. If that weren't bad enough, companies will also raise the prices of goods so the extra dollars are worth less due to cost-push inflation. The result is that some people are unemployed with no cash to pay for the higher-priced goods and the others, the lucky ones, have more cash but everything costs more.

What's in it for the government?
    The obvious answer is extra votes from those whom are deluded into thinking that they are benefiting from the larger number on their bank statement. That said, I have another theory. If you look at the minimum wage rate versus the inflation rate and compare the data to the historical government defined poverty level, you will see that the minimum wage rate is designed to keep people just above the poverty level assuming they work full time. What does this mean for the government? Higher tax revenue and fewer entitlements. As I mentioned, this is just a theory I have so take it with a grain of salt. If I'm right, it would seem to be a good thing on the surface. More tax revenue and a lower welfare payout seems like a plus. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. Despite the fact that the government is passing the cost of living from the taxpayers to companies, the extra costs to the taxpayers, although originating from another source, are similar. Also, I would like to believe that if more people were faced with poverty then at least some of them would be motivated to better their circumstances. I feel like the system is robbing people of this motivation by propping them up just enough to keep them comfortable. Comfort can be a terrible thing if it dissuades you from improvement.

If I could snap my fingers and implement "my fix", I would not do away with the minimum wage. However, I would make it known that it will not be increasing for the next 25 years. This would motivate people to improve themselves without pulling the carpet from under their feet. They would have time to decide what kind of life they want for themselves and how to make it happen. Additionally, the added market certainty would improve the overall economy, help to stabilize inflation, and create jobs. I would also focus on other measures to add new jobs so potential minimum wage earners would have choices. This would spur supply and demand for employees, essentially forcing companies to raise their wages without the need for government intervention and thus pay a fair wage for the services rendered.
    Last edited by guts; 6/30/2014 at 11:41 am.

Never could the CEOs take a pay cut, right?
    Seems Legit - Nitro - Hollywood Hogan

Master of Posting
    Quote Originally Posted by guts View Post
    If I could snap my fingers and implement "my fix", I would not do away with the minimum wage.
    In my opinion you are being perpetually short sighted and messing with the mechanics of pure unfettered capitalism here. Go back to class you giant liberal and suck some more welfare nanny sissy pants state 101 down.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGIT View Post
    You act like the richest family in America could afford a pay cut.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LEGIT View Post
    also, how big of a pay cut would be needed to make a dent comparable to raising minimum wage?

Quote Originally Posted by HipHoptimus View Post
    Hold on can't hear you, kicking this bee's nest.
    hilux.LA

Quote Originally Posted by Appendage View Post
    In my opinion you are being perpetually short sighted and messing with the mechanics of pure unfettered capitalism here. Go back to class you giant liberal and suck some more welfare nanny sissy pants state 101 down.
    Wow! I'm a Liberal now! Whodathunkit!