User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 80-year-old man shoots and kills pregnant burglar

80-year-old man shoots and kills pregnant burglar

80-year-old man shoots and kills "pregnant" burglar

LONG BEACH, Calif. -- Prosecutors were waiting Friday for the results of a police investigation into the killing of a burglar by an 80-year-old homeowner who says he shot the woman in the back as she fled his home and ran down an alley, the district attorney's office said.

Long Beach resident Tom Greer, 80, told KNBC-TV that the burglar had said she was pregnant and asked Greer not to fire but he shot her twice in the back anyway.

An autopsy later found that Andrea Miller, 28, was not pregnant, said Ed Winter, coroner's spokesman.

"Long Beach police are still investigating," said Sarah Ardalani, spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office. "It's ongoing and so we're waiting at this point."

Prosecutors filed murder, burglary, robbery and weapons-related charges against 26-year-old Gus Adams, a suspected accomplice of Miller. He was being held on bail of more than $1 million.

A court appearance initially set for Friday was rescheduled for next month.

The murder charge is possible because Adams is accused of participating in a felony that led to a death, said police Chief Jim McDonnell.

Police said Friday that Adams' mother, Ruby Adams, also was involved, and she was arrested Thursday night on suspicion of robbery. They gave no details on her alleged role or the evidence against her.

McDonnell said the homeowner came home around 9 p.m. Tuesday and surprised Adams and Miller, who were trying to break into a safe. They assaulted him, breaking his collarbone, before he was able to get a handgun, the chief said.

Police said he fired shots inside and outside his house.

Under California law, homeowners have a right to protect themselves with deadly force inside their homes and in the immediate vicinity -- such as a patio -- if they feel they are in imminent danger of great bodily injury or death, said Lawrence Rosenthal, a former federal prosecutor who teaches law at Chapman University.

But this case enters a grey area because Greer, by his own account, chased the burglars and fired at them outside his home as they were fleeing, Rosenthal said.

"The problem here is that all this happens very fast and his legal right to use force probably ended just a few seconds before he did use deadly force," Rosenthal said. "So the question is should you charge somebody on the basis of what really was a series of split-second decisions when he's just been robbed and physically assaulted?"

McDonnell declined to say how many shots were fired or to confirm that Miller was shot in the back.

No phone listing was available for Greer and he could not be reached for comment by The Associated Press.
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/californ...wice-1.1931344

Do you guys think this was justified or do you consider it murder?

They beat the shit out of the 80 year-old guy and continued stealing his stuff. With a broken collar bone, he pulls himself up, grabs his gun, and confronts the couple. At this point she began pleading and claiming that she was pregnant (she was NOT pregnant). He shoots her anyway...twice. I'm unsure if he shot her once in the house but he definitely shot her at least once in the alley as she was running away. Could he have called the cops instead? Should he have called the cops instead? Would he have been putting himself in further danger if he had taken the time to call the cops instead of shooting her?

Entense Supporter
    In your recap, you forgot to mention that he chased after her and shot her twice IN THE BACK while she begged him not to.

This dude, if the DA decides to push for it, can very easily get reamed unless the jury goes all mushy "aww 80 year old man..I feel bad" on him.

Was he in imminent danger any more? No, they were both fleeing with their backs turned.

And before anyone says "But they could've come back" juror instructions for justifiable homicide in California says

Belief in future harm is not sufficient, no matter how great or how likely the harm is believed to be.
    This dude was a moron, less for what he did, and more for bragging in the media about it. He's given interviews and straight up said he shot her to send a message to the other robber.

Fuck them for being pieces of shit. Fuck her for lying. Fuck the old dude because I don't want Jaye getting all uppity.

I think they got what they deserved. I think that old dude is G as fuck. Chick screams she's preggo and he blasts her anyways? Gangsta.

Do I think he was within his legal rights? No. Hope he gets away with it, though.

Entense Supporter
    If I was 80 I'd blast her too

Quote Originally Posted by HipHoptimus View Post
    Hold on can't hear you, kicking this bee's nest.
    hilux.LA

Engorged Member H.I. McDunnough's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    Fuck everybody involved in this story.

Entense Supporter
    i just don't see how you can kill someone as they're running away from you, and they didn't just like, kill a family member or something of yours. sure, eye for an eye. but "beating him up"? he was clearly able to still chase them and put rounds on target. i don't think he was THAT hurt.

i think he should get manslaughter. didn't need to shoot her in the fucking back once, let alone twice.
    BEAST IS THE BEST AND HE'S AWESOME AND I ALSO SUCK ASS

Shit, if I was 80, had a gun, got beat up, and survived... Hell yeah I'd shoot that bitch no matter which way they're running.

You know they were thinking in that last moment before they got shot - "I shouldn't have been such a piece of shit"

At least that's what would go through my head if i was getting shot after beating up an old man.
    Relationships are ropes that bind. Love is a noose.

Add ME on steam.

"when man say "no can lift that" you look at that man and say "i can lift that" and then lift that and then the man say that wuz gud and you say i know

you can get judge by ppl but you can will know ppl judge no rly matter" -A random dude's sig from a bodybuild forum.

Entense Supporter
    why are so many americans just so absolutely ok with killing another person? go fucking live in the middle east. human life isn't worth a thing out there. you'll fit right in.

Entense Supporter
    not for shitsngiggles. but retribution is A-OK

hilux.LA

Entense Supporter
    totally. eye for an eye. completely agree. but killing just to get them back harder than they got you? fucking wrong.

that is fucking murder. Who in their right mind thinks shooting someone in the back is a good idea? He should go to jail no question.

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish" - Albert Einstein

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidal View Post
    totally. eye for an eye. completely agree. but killing just to get them back harder than they got you? fucking wrong.

if i was 80, i am going to get you back as hard as possible

hilux.LA

Entense Supporter
    ok, cool, 80 year old murderer.

Entense Supporter
    yeah, if you rob an 80 year old man and beat the shit out of him

hilux.LA

Quote Originally Posted by hilux View Post
    if i was 80, i am going to get you back as hard as possible
    What if you were immortal and just turned 80?
    Relationships are ropes that bind. Love is a noose.

Add ME on steam.

"when man say "no can lift that" you look at that man and say "i can lift that" and then lift that and then the man say that wuz gud and you say i know

you can get judge by ppl but you can will know ppl judge no rly matter" -A random dude's sig from a bodybuild forum.

Entense Supporter
    sucks to be you

hilux.LA

Autopsy says she was not pregnant. can't find a link right now, but she wasn't pregnant. Also they charged her boyfriend, the accomplice, with murder. In California, if you are involved with a crime that leads to the murder of someone else, even if you didn't kill that person, you can be charged with murder.

Entense Supporter
    love that law

hilux.LA

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GMS [AP] View Post
    Autopsy says she was not pregnant. can't find a link right now, but she wasn't pregnant. Also they charged her boyfriend, the accomplice, with murder. In California, if you are involved with a crime that leads to the murder of someone else, even if you didn't kill that person, you can be charged with murder.
    None of this means that the old man won't catch charges, though.

And its CA PC 31

31. All persons concerned in the commission of a crime, whether it
    be felony or misdemeanor, and whether they directly commit the act
    constituting the offense
    , or aid and abet in its commission, or, not
    being present, have advised and encouraged its commission, and all
    persons counseling, advising, or encouraging children under the age
    of fourteen years, or persons who are mentally incapacitated, to
    commit any crime, or who, by fraud, contrivance, or force, occasion
    the drunkenness of another for the purpose of causing him to commit
    any crime, or who, by threats, menaces, command, or coercion, compel
    another to commit any crime, are principals in any crime so
    committed.

Basically there's no such thing as an accomplice. An accomplice is a principal.