User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ketosis!

havingaseriouslylooseanus

Ketosis!

So back in October last year I followed an Atkins style regimen, consuming only 20 grams of net carbs per day. I lost a lot of weight fast (down 60 lbs now). Starting weight was ~292 and now I'm like ~235. Here's my problem...

I'm fucking stuck. I will admit I slacked a LOT during this summer, not like all out binge eating but not sticking to my 20 carbs. I've been trying to spend it with friends and family as much as I can after this brutal winter we had. I've been trying to get back into it by keeping my carbs at 20 grams per day. I count my carbs and know I can strictly follow this, but for some reason, the scale is telling me to fuck myself and won't go down.

Yes, I do feel like I'm slowly (a lot slower than initially) losing weight (inches as opposed to pounds), but I NEED to get back into that 2-3 pound per week groove that I was initially in when I first started this. My questions are as follows.

1) From what I've surmised, not enough fat means your body will convert protein into sugar for energy, which obviously kicks you out of ketosis. My question is as long as I consume enough fat, is there such a thing as too much protein as far as stalling ketosis goes?

2) Some things that I eat nowadays contain small small amounts of sugar, for example, these delicous fucking sausages.

Nutrition facts

Serving Size 1 Link (85g)
    Servings per container 4
    Amount per servingDaily Value

Calories160 Calories from fat100
    Total fat11 g 17%
    Saturated fat4g20%
    Trans fat0 g

Cholesterol50 mg17%
    Sodium600 mg25%
    Total carbohydrate1 g1%
    Dietary fiber0 g0%
    Sugars1 g
    Protein15 g
    Vitamin A4%
    Iron4%
    INGREDIENTS: PORK, WATER, SALT, SPICES (INCLUDING RED,WHITE AND BLACK PEPPER), GARLIC, SUGAR, PAPRIKA, CELERY POWDER AND DEHYDRATED ONION.

In situations where it says carbs = 0, but when I see a form of sugar in the ingredients, I count each serving as 1 gram of carbs to be safe. Is that a fair thing to do?

3) How many grams of fat should I try to consume per day? I'm guessing around 125?

4) This is a big one; in order to bring up my fat count in a day, I cheat so to speak, such as taking a swig of olive oil, or drinking cream. Cream, as per the label, contains 0 carbs per serving (1 tbsp = 15 ml). As we all know, less than .5 of anything = zero (which I think is fucking asinine) as per the label per serving, so if I drink 4 oz of cream to bring in a quick 40 grams of fat, is it possible that there are trace amounts of lactose which can fuck me up?

I feel weird having to ask all of this, considering the amounts of success I've had with this diet initially. However, I have a wedding to attend in January and I want to be finished with this by then. My goal is around ~180 and as mentioned I'm like ~235. I know I can lose 50 lbs in 4.75 months. Thanks in advance for reading this wall of text.

first i highly doubt you'll be able to sustain 2-3lbs of weightloss a week its just not sustainable i barely had that kind of weightloss on an 800 calorie a day diet. if you are stuck chances are now you have to start tracking and lowering calories too low carb is all well and good but at some point it still breaks down to calories in vs calories out. as far as a ratios i would try and do 1:.5 protein:fats to start and experiment with raising and lowering fats

Quote Originally Posted by carny View Post
    first i highly doubt you'll be able to sustain 2-3lbs of weightloss a week its just not sustainable i barely had that kind of weightloss on an 800 calorie a day diet. if you are stuck chances are now you have to start tracking and lowering calories too low carb is all well and good but at some point it still breaks down to calories in vs calories out. as far as a ratios i would try and do 1:.5 protein:fats to start and experiment with raising and lowering fats
    You sure you don't have that ratio backwards? Keto diets always say more fat than protein.

yes i am sure. you can even try 1:1 but to much fat can mess with your hormones.

Quote Originally Posted by carny View Post
    yes i am sure. you can even try 1:1 but to much fat can mess with your hormones.
    Weird. When I started this I was eating a lot of fatty stuff and that's how I lost so much. I'll give your ratio a try for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Ty.

im not saying high fat doesnt work but not only can i high fat diet affect your hormones but 1 gram of fat = 9 calories while 1 gram of protein = 4 calories. most times a stall in a high fat high protein diet is just plain old calories. also another thing that really helped me was fiber.which is often missed in keto diets you need fiber and lots of it

ive been on a keto diet and lost 30lbs but i did a carb refeed every 10 days so i know they work but for me its not sustainable and counter productive to my goals.

Entense Supporter
    I dunno.. I'm pretty sure your liver will always produce glucose no matter what, so your brain can function. I'm not sure how much that affects going into ketosis though. The difference is the amount, and if you are able to use it right away maybe.

Start taking some Resveratrol. I've been a low carber for 5 years now to control my diabetes (I'm not fat, I'm type 1, 6'0 and 155lbs). I don't eat fruit so I take some ester-C type stuff in the morning. Just recently I switched brands and shortly after doing so I had a pretty severe low blood sugar situation(I was fine and caught it), and I couldn't figure out why it happened, and since then I have to use almost half of my usual insulin doses for meals so I don't go low. I didn't change anything in my diet except for the ester-C suppliments. So I check out the bottle, the only difference is it contains 6mg of Resveratrol. I look it up, and sure enough its been studied right now for increasing insulin sensitivity and lowering blood sugar.

I bet combining Resveratrol with your diet you would lose weight, and I would be interested to see the effects. Try it! Sounds like I'm selling the shit. But I'm just actually really curious because it affected my body so much so fast on so little. 6mg a day.

Daily Dose of Vitamin Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Shitrus's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    In a sewer with my hamster pal, but the sanitation workers really didn't approve so i packed my accordian and had to move to a city in ohio where i lived in a tree and i worked in a nasal decongestant factory and i play on the company bowling team
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodginsa View Post
    I dunno.. I'm pretty sure your liver will always produce glucose no matter what, so your brain can function. I'm not sure how much that affects going into ketosis though. The difference is the amount, and if you are able to use it right away maybe.

Start taking some Resveratrol. I've been a low carber for 5 years now to control my diabetes (I'm not fat, I'm type 1, 6'0 and 155lbs). I don't eat fruit so I take some ester-C type stuff in the morning. Just recently I switched brands and shortly after doing so I had a pretty severe low blood sugar situation(I was fine and caught it), and I couldn't figure out why it happened, and since then I have to use almost half of my usual insulin doses for meals so I don't go low. I didn't change anything in my diet except for the ester-C suppliments. So I check out the bottle, the only difference is it contains 6mg of Resveratrol. I look it up, and sure enough its been studied right now for increasing insulin sensitivity and lowering blood sugar.

I bet combining Resveratrol with your diet you would lose weight, and I would be interested to see the effects. Try it! Sounds like I'm selling the shit. But I'm just actually really curious because it affected my body so much so fast on so little. 6mg a day.
    Your liver doesnt produce glucose, so i cant trust anything else you are saying in your post, dont care how long you have been a diabetic. Your liver produces insulin, and only when directed by your stomach/intestines.
    @Elastic use http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ to get your macros, and stay on that. it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by shibby View Post
    in after worthless attempt to refute shitrus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    lolllll my man said condoms
    Quote Originally Posted by Nok View Post
    listen to citrus, nigga knows his shit

Quote Originally Posted by Shitrus View Post
    Your liver doesnt produce glucose, so i cant trust anything else you are saying in your post, dont care how long you have been a diabetic. Your liver produces insulin, and only when directed by your stomach/intestines.
    @Elastic use http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ to get your macros, and stay on that. it works.
    Actually, your pancreas produces insulin, not the liver

Thanks for that link, I just happen to stumble upon that like 2 days ago. Going to start strictly sticking to it as of tomorrow. It's weird, I never thought calories really mattered (to an extent obviously). I remember eating like an animal when I first started this diet, and that's when I seemed to lose the most.

Daily Dose of Vitamin Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Shitrus's Avatar
    Entense Supporter
    In a sewer with my hamster pal, but the sanitation workers really didn't approve so i packed my accordian and had to move to a city in ohio where i lived in a tree and i worked in a nasal decongestant factory and i play on the company bowling team
    fuuuuck haha my brain got switched.

anyway, point still stands.

If our livers produced glucose i wouldnt need to eat
    Quote Originally Posted by shibby View Post
    in after worthless attempt to refute shitrus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    lolllll my man said condoms
    Quote Originally Posted by Nok View Post
    listen to citrus, nigga knows his shit

It's all good.

I guess I do need to eat a minimum amount of calories though to sustain this right? It seems that on days when I barely eat, my keto sticks turn really pale.

Entense Supporter
    I've been doing keto/low carb for years. First things first, calories don't matter on a keto diet. As long as your macros are in line, you should be good to go and see sustained weight loss. drink all the cream and oil you want.. chug it, go for it. HOWEVER, if you do happen to stall, some things you should do are (1) to check double check your macros and make sure you're still following them, (2) if you've been eating the same shit, switch it up to something either while still maintaining the same ratios; maybe your body is getting used to the food, who knows, (3) I saw nothing about exercise in your OP... start if you haven't, even if it's just walking around town.. get up off your ass because that will obviously help you burn more while keeping your metabolism high

Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    I've been doing keto/low carb for years. First things first, calories don't matter on a keto diet. As long as your macros are in line, you should be good to go and see sustained weight loss. drink all the cream and oil you want.. chug it, go for it. HOWEVER, if you do happen to stall, some things you should do are (1) to check double check your macros and make sure you're still following them, (2) if you've been eating the same shit, switch it up to something either while still maintaining the same ratios; maybe your body is getting used to the food, who knows, (3) I saw nothing about exercise in your OP... start if you haven't, even if it's just walking around town.. get up off your ass because that will obviously help you burn more while keeping your metabolism high
    Thanks. I don't exercise much to be honest. I do a little biking a few times a week but that's about it.

Here are the ratios I was thinking of sticking too.

2059 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    20 g Carbohydrates (4%, 80 kcal)
    101 g Protein (20%, 404 kcal)
    175 g Fat (76%, 1575 kcal)

It's weird though, this website says too much fat will cause weight gain. I've never heard of ppl gaining weight while in ketosis.

Also, my question about cream; obviously too much of a good thing is bad, right? Research seems to point to 1 cup of cream = 6.6 grams of lactose. That's a big chunk out of my 20 grams of target carbs per day, so I'm guessing I should perhaps to half cup at most, using that in some unsweetened coffee.

One more thing then I'll stop asking so many questions: Coffee. Good or bad while in ketosis? I'm not talking insane amounts, like 8-12 oz per day unsweetened.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elastic View Post
    Thanks. I don't exercise much to be honest. I do a little biking a few times a week but that's about it.

Here are the ratios I was thinking of sticking too.

2059 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    20 g Carbohydrates (4%, 80 kcal)
    101 g Protein (20%, 404 kcal)
    175 g Fat (76%, 1575 kcal)

It's weird though, this website says too much fat will cause weight gain. I've never heard of ppl gaining weight while in ketosis.

Also, my question about cream; obviously too much of a good thing is bad, right? Research seems to point to 1 cup of cream = 6.6 grams of lactose. That's a big chunk out of my 20 grams of target carbs per day, so I'm guessing I should perhaps to half cup at most, using that in some unsweetened coffee.

One more thing then I'll stop asking so many questions: Coffee. Good or bad while in ketosis? I'm not talking insane amounts, like 8-12 oz per day unsweetened.
    Your ratios look good to me. Stick with those.

Bring down the cream to half a cup, I agree. Save room for "trace" carbs that are in vegetables like broccoli and stuff like that.

Coffee is fine and actually encouraged as it's a metabolic booster due to the caffeine.

Bring down the cream to half a cup, I agree. Save room for "trace" carbs that are in vegetables like broccoli and stuff like that.

Coffee is fine and actually encouraged as it's a metabolic booster due to the caffeine.
    That's what I thought, but some research indicates it can fuck with blood sugar levels.

I'll stick to these ratios for a month and will report back in itt in a month from now. Thanks everyone!

Entense Supporter

http://dtc.ucsf.edu/types-of-diabete...r-blood-sugar/

God damnit, do some fucking research.

Entense Supporter
    "The liver also can manufacture necessary sugar or glucose by harvesting amino acids, waste products and fat byproducts. This process is called gluconeogenesis."

Go ahead and don't eat for a while, you'll still be alive. I wonder why.

About 25 grams of fat away and 30 grams of protein away from my goal for today with 6 carbs to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodginsa View Post
    "The liver also can manufacture necessary sugar or glucose by harvesting amino acids, waste products and fat byproducts. This process is called gluconeogenesis."

Go ahead and don't eat for a while, you'll still be alive. I wonder why.
    Thanks for that info.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elastic View Post
    About 25 grams of fat away and 30 grams of protein away from my goal for today with 6 carbs to spare.

Thanks for that info.
    Good stuff on the carbs. Do you feel lethargic at all by restricting yourself to 14 carbs?

Good stuff on the carbs. Do you feel lethargic at all by restricting yourself to 14 carbs?
    Not at all since I'm used to it. Last year when I first started I felt like shit for a week.

I even biked yesterday too for an hour.