User Tag List

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Minimum Wage Backfire

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elastic View Post
    That aspect if it, you're right. The fact that you've calculated that $14 is not enough to retire and you're doing shit about it? Entirely yours.
    and what am i supposed to do about it, exactly? take on 60 thousand dollars in debt to pay off for the next 20 years to take classes part time for 8 years to land a job that will put me squarely in the lower-middle class right around the time i turn 50?

let me just bootstrap my way up to being able to survive here

this country fucking blows.
    http://forums.entensity.net/signaturepics/sigpic19077_2.gif

havingaseriouslylooseanus
    Quote Originally Posted by eedna View Post
    and what am i supposed to do about it, exactly? take on 60 thousand dollars in debt to pay off for the next 20 years to take classes part time for 8 years to land a job that will put me squarely in the lower-middle class right around the time i turn 50?

You know there's a lot of jobs you can get out there that pay a shitload more than $14 per hour that don't even require a college degree, right? I mean shit you can probably make more than that by just having a CDL B driving a goddman box truck for a local delivery company or something.

Entense Supporter
    i hope the fast food idiots strike. the last thing i care about is eating fast food.

plenty of trade skills jobs don't require college education.

Somewhat Poster

This is pretty ignorant for the reasons below. I know you probably have soft hands and probably never really worked hard in your life, but if you don't want crazy debt and want to make more it will require some work.

Get into an apprenticeship as a machinist. This is a dying trade in the US and skilled labor is hard to find, and pays well. I pay through the nose for tooling because the shops with skilled machinists charge a premium.

Get certified as a NDT (non destructive testing) inspector. You can usually do this through an employer and work up in pay sometimes. The inspectors who read the xray scans are the highest paid hourly employees in our shop floor and there is tons of work in aerospace for NDT. We have two guys who started out with no experience grinding excess resin off of parts, and transferred over to the NDT section for a huge pay raise.

Certified welders make a lot of money, it is a shrinking trade and if you can get certified on live pipe or heights it is big money.

My buddy works with controls and programming (All self taught) and does installations of the controls on HVAC systems making more than I do as an engineer. Downside is he works outside in the winter and works his ass off. The company truck he gets is pretty slick though.

You know there's a lot of jobs you can get out there that pay a shitload more than $14 per hour that don't even require a college degree, right? I mean shit you can probably make more than that by just having a CDL B driving a goddman box truck for a local delivery company or something.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by [Cerberus] View Post
    I know you probably have soft hands and probably never really worked hard in your life, but if you don't want crazy debt and want to make more it will require some work.
    fuck yourself

i dont want to do a fucking trade job, i like my hospitality management job

you all saying to get a better paying job are missing the point

jobs that dont pay well enough to live on, should
    Last edited by eedna; 10/30/2014 at 6:41 pm.

Entense Supporter
    what do you do again? if you don't mind me asking

Quote Originally Posted by HipHoptimus View Post
    Hold on can't hear you, kicking this bee's nest.
    hilux.LA

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hilux View Post
    what do you do again? if you don't mind me asking

I manage the front office of a luxury (million dollar plus homes) gated subdivision

think hotel manager but my guests never leave and i have landscapers instead of maids

Entense Supporter
    like the security booth? or the front office where they do the leases/sales and shit?

hilux.LA

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hilux View Post
    like the security booth? or the front office where they do the leases/sales and shit?

it's not a booth but both are in the same building

there's a conference room coffee bar sitting area guard office and two sales offices

we don't currently have an on site agent which means i'm now in charge of that too indefinitely

that's been fun

the 'security' aspect is more concierge than actual security, there's a 12 foot concrete wall surrounding the whole property in the same style as that memorial in the pic
    Last edited by eedna; 10/30/2014 at 7:01 pm.

fuck yourself

i dont want to do a fucking trade job, i like my hospitality management job

you all saying to get a better paying job are missing the point

jobs that dont pay well enough to live on, should
    Only point I see you trying to make is you want to get paid to do jack shit. Unfortunately life doesn't work that way unless you have connections.

Entense Supporter
    yeah my bad for thinking the self proclaimed greatest country in the history of the world should have a bare minimum quality of life that included financial security for it's citizens

yeah my bad for thinking the self proclaimed greatest country in the history of the world should have a bare minimum quality of life that included financial security for it's citizens
    Lol. What exactly are your responsibilities and what do you think is fair compensation?

Also just for reference how much is it to rent a 2 bedroom apartment where you live?

Entense Supporter
    from my resume

Supervision of entry and exit of upscale sub-division, securing homes still undergoing construction and offered for sale, reporting maintenance needs, maintaining gatehouse computer systems, answering phones. Supporting On-Site Real Estate agents. Assessing and correcting issues with entry gate and monitoring and maintaining CCTV system. Light concierge duty, providing a ‘hotel at home’ type experience for residents. Supervision and training of gatehouse sales office personnel. Writing and adjusting policy as needed. Responsible for all scheduling and ensuring adequate coverage. Recording payroll. Maintaining sales lead database. Maintaining resident information database. Inventory and replenishment of gatehouse sales office supplies and marketing materials. Assisting in creation of marketing materials including photography.

i have 6 people under me and i'll have worked here for 6 years come next week actually

rent on a 2 bedroom around here ranges from ~850 in the ghetto to 1000 someplace where you probably won't get your car broken into

i could live comfortably and build a retirement savings on 19-21 dollars an hour

Entense Supporter
    maybe im just jaded

looking at houses like this all god damn day and seeing people drive by in their porsches and maseratis gets pretty grating after a while

Somewhat Poster
    Id like you to ask them how they managed to get all that money. It sure wasn't waiting for the government to increase minimum wage.

Entense Supporter
    most of the residents are professors, a few commercial developers and doctors and retired university administrators. one guy owns a massive nationwide (insurance) franchise.

one of the residents is a relative of the person who invented the anti counterfeiting strip in cash

from my resume

Supervision of entry and exit of upscale sub-division, securing homes still undergoing construction and offered for sale, reporting maintenance needs, maintaining gatehouse computer systems, answering phones. Supporting On-Site Real Estate agents. Assessing and correcting issues with entry gate and monitoring and maintaining CCTV system. Light concierge duty, providing a ‘hotel at home’ type experience for residents. Supervision and training of gatehouse sales office personnel. Writing and adjusting policy as needed. Responsible for all scheduling and ensuring adequate coverage. Recording payroll. Maintaining sales lead database. Maintaining resident information database. Inventory and replenishment of gatehouse sales office supplies and marketing materials. Assisting in creation of marketing materials including photography.

i have 6 people under me and i'll have worked here for 6 years come next week actually

rent on a 2 bedroom around here ranges from ~850 in the ghetto to 1000 someplace where you probably won't get your car broken into

i could live comfortably and build a retirement savings on 19-21 dollars an hour
    So you think you should earn $19-21 an hour just because that's what it'll take for you to live comfortable?

Entense Supporter
    So you think you should earn $19-21 an hour just because that's what it'll take for you to live comfortable?
    i think that's what the metric should be, yeah

please, tell me how im delusional because i dont already know that's not how it works

Entense Supporter
    from all you do, you should be paid more, didn't you say you get $13?

hilux.LA

Entense Supporter
    $14

i was doing most of it for $12.50 before i was officially made responsible for it