User Tag List

Thread: Newsgroups (some help and advice)

Newsgroups (some help and advice)

I get some of my TVShows via Torrents and my movies use to come directly from here. I am looking at a way to move back towards cutting the cable. I don't want to depend on Torrents as they can be flaky and I don't have the upload or bandwidth to really leave things going to worry about my ratio.

Is anyone having good luck with News Groups still? I was thinking about going to AstraWeb, except I know I will also need to find a NZB site and a good client to use.

Any tips? Advice? Guides?

havingaseriouslylooseanus
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthtownATL View Post
    I get some of my TVShows via Torrents and my movies use to come directly from here. I am looking at a way to move back towards cutting the cable. I don't want to depend on Torrents as they can be flaky and I don't have the upload or bandwidth to really leave things going to worry about my ratio.

Is anyone having good luck with News Groups still? I was thinking about going to AstraWeb, except I know I will also need to find a NZB site and a good client to use.

Any tips? Advice? Guides?
    My advice is as follow.

1) Fuck newsgroups.

2) Get into a private tracker.

3) Get a seedbox for $10 a month.

4) Fuck newsgroups.

I've never had a flaky torrent using IPT.

Quote Originally Posted by Elastic View Post
    My advice is as follow.

1) Fuck newsgroups.

2) Get into a private tracker.

3) Get a seedbox for $10 a month.

4) Fuck newsgroups.

I've never had a flaky torrent using IPT.
    While you're here, I'm gonna ask. I just got invited to IPT and I wanted to test that I can seed and everything with a small file, the newest South Park episode. I'm seeding in uTorrent right now, but it doesn't even show an upload speed. Is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaLwArRiOr View Post
    While you're here, I'm gonna ask. I just got invited to IPT and I wanted to test that I can seed and everything with a small file, the newest South Park episode. I'm seeding in uTorrent right now, but it doesn't even show an upload speed. Is this normal?
    No upload speed = not uploading.

The best time to seed a torrent is immediately after it's release, that's when the most people will be leeching it. When a torrent client is looking to leech, it'll always leech off of the seeder with the fastest upload speeds. So, if you're seeding an old torrent and/or you have a shitty upload speed (which we all do) you'll have a hard time making the 1:1 ratio for that file.

I say we all have shitty upload speeds because a good portion of the users there use seedboxes, which have Mb and Gb connections. No one here will be able to compete with seedbox upload speeds. I use a seedbox and pay $10 per month for it and it's worth every penny.

http://www.seedhost.eu/

Those are the guys I use. Never had an issue with them, although sometimes it's a bit slow transferring from the box to my PC. It's a shared box, but performance wise as far as seeding and leeching goes it's worth every penny.

So I'm basically setup to fail unless I have seedbox because

1) Old torrents that I want are deleted anyways
    2) New torrents will probably have a fuckton of seeds when I go to download them

So I'm basically setup to fail unless I have seedbox because

1) Old torrents that I want are deleted anyways
    2) New torrents will probably have a fuckton of seeds when I go to download them
    I wouldn't say you're setup to fail w/o a seedbox. I ran my account w/o a seedbox for maybe 3/4 of a year and did fine. The seedbox just made things a LOT easier.

1) IPT is pretty good for old torrents. I've downloaded torrents that were uploaded 5+ years ago. Granted it took me about a week or more since it's usually 1 seeder with the worst connection possible, but I still got it none the less.

2) Not really. Say you want to snag a specific show. Wait for it to finish airing and about two mins later, it'll be upped there. Once that happens, download and you'll probably hit a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio. Now with a seedbox I've hit 15:1 ratios with shows like the walking dead.

Freeleech is a good way to build your ratio. Those don't negatively impact your ratio when you leech them, but positively impact it when you seed them. Download something that's freeleech and let it sit for a while. The more modern it is, the better your chances of getting some ppl to leech off of you.

Ah that makes a lot more sense. See, I used Demonoid, then it got shutdown, then back up but fucked everyone's ratios up and other site stats beyond belief. Though keeping a positive ratio on there was easy.

I found a torrent of the series 'Lost' on IPT. It's a freeleech and is like 5 months old, but says not found or takes me to the home page. I'll look around more though.

Ah that makes a lot more sense. See, I used Demonoid, then it got shutdown, then back up but fucked everyone's ratios up and other site stats beyond belief. Though keeping a positive ratio on there was easy.

I found a torrent of the series 'Lost' on IPT. It's a freeleech and is like 5 months old, but says not found or takes me to the home page. I'll look around more though.
    Download newest freeleeches for best results.

Yeah. Weird though. Now even if I click on a new torrent, it takes me to the main site with "/t" at the end of the url.

Well there is alot of information so far. I had no idea about Seedboxes.

I just remember newsgroups cause an old coworker was showing me how great it was a few years ago.

I got some complimentary credit for that Digital Ocean VPS. Going to see if using it as a seedbox is possible.