User Tag List

Thread: so it's about time for me to get back into photography

so it's about time for me to get back into photography

Some of you might remember that I was really involved in this forum for a while. I sold all my gear to fund a motorcycle (which I fucking love). Here's what I had:

Canon 50D
    Canon 100mm L macro
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 17-55
    Canon 55-250
    flash, tripod, etc.

I promised myself that once I graduated school and could afford it, I'd get back into photography. Well, that time is coming. I'll be done with school in just a couple weeks, and I've secured a job that'll pay me well enough to buy camera gear. It'll still be another couple months before I'm ready to buy, but I wanna start planning now.

Anyway, I've been out of the camera game for a while, so I'm looking for some advice. What I do know is that I wanna stay in the Canon ecosystem.

What do you guys think about the 5DmIII vs. the 7DmII vs the 70D? I was originally planning on going full frame this time around, but after thinking about it, the crop flexibility is nice. My shooting style is really varied, too - I'll shoot everything from landscapes to football games. I'm really leaning towards the 7DmII.

What I'm thinking is this: start the collection with the 7DmII and Canon 17-55 (I loved that lens) and then add on as necessary (the macro will likely be my 2nd lens). How does this sound? Have there been any new lenses that have come out that I should consider?

Entense Supporter
    7DMII + 17-55 will drive you insane because you'll get nothing but crap from it due to the higher pixel count. I mean if you don't have your technique down!

Fuck off with crop though, come to Full Frame and COME TO NIKON DAMN IT!

Glad to see you're back in the game though!

But seriously, not just because I am a Nikon guy, but seriously look at their offerings the D610 or a used D600 is practically a steal.

If you still insist on getting a toy camera, than 5DMKIII!

Haha! I do wanna stick to Canon. I have friends with Canon gear, which means we can trade lenses. Plus, I already know and like Canon's ergonomics.

7DMII + 17-55 will drive you insane because you'll get nothing but crap from it due to the higher pixel count.
    What exactly do you mean by this?

And FF would be sick. I guess the main drag is the cost. The 5DmIII + 24-70 is much more expensive than the 7DmII + 17-55. Plus, I really like the high fps on the 7D line.
    Last edited by Dr. Fangs404; 11/15/2014 at 4:47 pm.

Grand-High Poster
    Get a 5D Mark 3, be happy.

7D is great for sports though, love having that crop for football.

Grand-High Poster
    If they didn't have a shitload of bomb Canon gear at the school paper, I'd get a D750... hands-down the best all-around camera out there right now for the price.

Entense Supporter
    God damn the 7DmkII feels amazing, I was playing with it in the store. I don't use my camera enough to justify upgrading mine yet. That combined with the 18-35 f1.8 by Sigma, is really a killer deal for what you get. Sigma stepped up its game lately and the glass is almost comparable to the Canon L series.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodginsa View Post
    God damn the 7DmkII feels amazing, I was playing with it in the store. I don't use my camera enough to justify upgrading mine yet. That combined with the 18-35 f1.8 by Sigma, is really a killer deal for what you get. Sigma stepped up its game lately and the glass is almost comparable to the Canon L series.
    I'm definitely gonna look at the Sigma glass. I've gotta read a bunch of glass reviews over the next couple months to catch up!

Also, looks like rumors are pointing to a 5DmkIV release some time next year, so that's interesting....

Entense Supporter
    Just picked up a Canon S120 today. Pretty stoked about it, mostly just for filming but I'm glad ill be able to have it on me all the time.

Just picked up a Canon S120 today. Pretty stoked about it, mostly just for filming but I'm glad ill be able to have it on me all the time.
    I was reading some amazing things about the Sony RX100 III. It's pretty awesome what the current P&S cameras are capable of.

Entense Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Fangs404 View Post
    I was reading some amazing things about the Sony RX100 III. It's pretty awesome what the current P&S cameras are capable of.
    Have you looked at the specs of the G7x? I would have bought that if I could have put up the funds, but I got a good deal on the S120. The G7x and RX100 III are very comparable. Canon is almost $100 less, I would be hard pressed to get a Sony just because of my Canon fanboyness hahah

Have you looked at the specs of the G7x? I would have bought that if I could have put up the funds, but I got a good deal on the S120. The G7x and RX100 III are very comparable. Canon is almost $100 less, I would be hard pressed to get a Sony just because of my Canon fanboyness hahah
    No, I haven't. I've mainly just been looking at DSLRs. My iPhone 6+ has a great camera for most random things I won't have the DSLR for.

Entense Supporter
    True that. I got the S120 solely for video, but now its in my pocket everywhere. Bike rides are so much better now, but I only have the iPhone 5 so the camera doesn't impress me enough to use it.