User Tag List

Thread: Torrent with a VPS (seeding)

Torrent with a VPS (seeding)

So I received $5 credit from Digital Ocean to try our their VPS. Specs are:

512MB Memory
    1 Core Processor
    20GB SSD Disk
    1TB Transfer

Been trying to use it as a downloading and seeding kinda thing for torrents. Specifically the private tracker I'm on, IPTorrents. Problem is we've tried several scripts and torrent clients, none of which have really worked. Anyone have any experience with this that can lend a hand? I know I could buy a seedbox and just use that but fuck that, and my friend and I use the VPS for other shit anyways.

What "scripts" have you been using? Which OS is the VPS running?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Fangs404 View Post
    What "scripts" have you been using? Which OS is the VPS running?
    We tried some from github that install everything we would need. I'll find the links. We're using Debian Linux now but we tried with Ubuntu I believe. I'm confused how one would link a private tracker account/torrent with the VPS though.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaLwArRiOr View Post
    We tried some from github that install everything we would need. I'll find the links. We're using Debian Linux now but we tried with Ubuntu I believe. I'm confused how one would link a private tracker account/torrent with the VPS though.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "link". The private trackers I use have RSS feeds that you can setup with the torrent client of your choice. You "subscribe" to certain types of torrents, and then your torrent client will automatically download torrents that get added to your RSS feed.

[edit]
    Another way is to use a torrent client that has a web interface. Then, you can access the web interface from wherever and upload the .torrent files you want your VPS to download. Look into the ruTorrent web interface for rTorrent.
    Last edited by Dr. Fangs404; 12/09/2014 at 7:47 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Fangs404 View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "link". The private trackers I use have RSS feeds that you can setup with the torrent client of your choice. You "subscribe" to certain types of torrents, and then your torrent client will automatically download torrents that get added to your RSS feed.

[edit]
    Another way is to use a torrent client that has a web interface. Then, you can access the web interface from wherever and upload the .torrent files you want your VPS to download. Look into the ruTorrent web interface for rTorrent.
    Sorry for the late followup, fine sir. My friend ended up figuring it out as he was able to correctly set everything up. We can download torrents to our VPS then use filezilla to bring it onto our computers and, I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen, but no download was recorded to our IPT account(s), but we were able to still seed and increase our upload amount, though the rate is pretty slow, but I imagine that might be because of not having to seed it since there weren't many leechers to begin with.

Nonetheless, thanks for the advice.