User Tag List

Thread: Gumption, Relighting the Torch of Freedom with America's Trustiest Troublemakers

Entense Supporter

Gumption, Relighting the Torch of Freedom with America's Trustiest Troublemakers

The star of Parks and Recreation and author of the New York Times bestseller Paddle Your Own Canoe returns with a second book that humorously highlights twenty-one figures from our nation’s history, from her inception to present day—Nick’s personal pantheon of “great Americans.”

To millions of people, Nick Offerman is America. Both Nick and his character, Ron Swanson, are known for their humor and patriotism in equal measure.

After the great success of his autobiography, Paddle Your Own Canoe, Offerman now focuses on the lives of those who inspired him. From George Washington to Willie Nelson, he describes twenty-one heroic figures and why they inspire in him such great meaning. He combines both serious history with light-hearted humor—comparing, say, Benjamin Franklin’s abstinence from daytime drinking to his own sage refusal to join his construction crew in getting plastered on the way to work. The subject matter also allows Offerman to expound upon his favorite topics, which readers love to hear—areas such as religion, politics, woodworking and handcrafting, agriculture, creativity, philosophy, fashion, and, of course, meat.

2/3 way through it. Definitely going to track down copies of the additional sources he references in these essays. I am someone who lost touch with reading as a result of it being forced during graduate school. This book is serving as my gateway drug for more serious reading. I will start on the bread crumb trail he lays out.

I highly recommend it. Very conversational and thought provoking.

Entense Supporter
    Nick Offerman is funny and all, but i'm tired of dudes sucking his dick

Quote Originally Posted by HipHoptimus View Post
    Hold on can't hear you, kicking this bee's nest.
    hilux.LA

Entense Supporter
    it's not even the humor, it's the critical analysis that's born out of appreciating traits in others. also, there are dense readings that he interprets into easily understood language. for example:

"what information consumes is rather obvious: it comsumes the attention of its recipients. Hence, a wealth of information creates a poverty of attention and need to allocate that attention efficiently among the overabundance of information sources that might consume it."

He summarizes:

A wealth of information creates a poverty of attention.

It's written verbatim inside that quotation, but the repetition of just this statement reinforces context clues of the original.

Do I like Nick Offerman? Yes. Did I like American Ham? Thought it was stupid as hell with the one exception being how deeply in love he is with his wife and not afraid to show it.

I grabbed the book off the shelf at the airport because I had already read the last two issues of men's health. I don't regret it.

Entense Supporter
    the whole "nick is america" and "nick is a man's man" shit needs to cool off

with that said, i'm willing to give this a try

Quote Originally Posted by HipHoptimus View Post
    Hold on can't hear you, kicking this bee's nest.
    hilux.LA

Entense Supporter
    I love his character and personality, but I find his giggle unsettling.

Quote Originally Posted by Abednego View Post
    I love his character and personality, but I find his giggle unsettling.
    That giggle is hilarious on Parks.