User Tag List

Thread: 1967 Camaro RS restoration project. (suicidal beware)

Holy shit I rule!

1967 Camaro RS restoration project. (suicidal beware)

My dream car for probably 20 years has been a 1967/68 Camaro RS.

Well, yesterday I bought one. I didn't actually want one that was in great shape because I have always liked to work on cars and wanted a good project. The one I bought is a 1967 Camaro RS roller, basically just a body on wheels. I spent a good couple of years looking for the "right" one at the right price and finally found it. So I figured why not track this multiyear project on a dead forum?

The car came from the factory as an RS with a 327 and an M20 4 speed manual and was decently optioned. I don't really care about all of that but it is worth noting.

Body wise, it is going to need new quarter panels, door skins, a grille, and possibly new fenders because I'm pretty sure the fenders that are on it are not RS fenders. It is also going to need some small patches in the floor due to some minor rust, but shouldn't need a whole floor pan. It came with all but the Driver and Passenger windows, so windshield, back, vent windows and the rear seat windows. For some reason there is an Auto steering column installed which I will have to replace. Also for an unknown reason, the seats are in really good condition, the frames/springs are obviously original but the upholstery is nearly new.

Total price at this point: $3550, $3500 for the car and $50 to load it in a car hauler and deliver it to my driveway from across town.

Here are the first round of pictures I took, they're a little too big for the forum I think but its close enough:

Holy shit I rule!
    Spent about 2 hours working on it tonight.

I put about 10 minutes into checking random places for bondo to see how bad it was. I was already planning on replacing the quarter panels due to obviously cracking bondo which usually means it is nice and thick but it was surprising/almost laughable to see just how much was on the left hand side. It was about 3/4" thick at the worst part which is crazy. The right hand quarter panel was actually fairly decent but I am going to replace it anyway since the panel is only like $80. Other than the door panels which I was already going to replace, the only bondo is on the quarter panels so it really isn't that bad.

I vacuumed up at least 40lbs of dirt and debris then went at the left over stuff like seam sealer and carpet pad with a screw driver. I got most of it up but haven't cleaned it out of the car yet so it looks almost just as dirty as it was when I got it.

Progress pictures, 99% of the "dark" spots that look like holes are actually rubber from the seam sealer that I chipped off:

Last edited by Skitz; 3/27/2016 at 2:15 am.

Entense Supporter
    wish i had space for a project, keep it up and keep us posted

Quote Originally Posted by HipHoptimus View Post
    Hold on can't hear you, kicking this bee's nest.
    hilux.LA

This is gonna be awesome.

Are you looking at taking it back as close to original as you can? doing any functionality mods?
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerWoods2 View Post
    Sorry man, I only have two modes... rape or post about idiots.

Holy shit I rule!
    I am not at all trying to make it anything like original. Best way to describe what I'm going for is a low buck version of this. Without the stupid plastic fender flares.

If I were a rich man it would have a new high performance subframe with modern suspension, disk brakes all around, an LS3 and T6060.

What is more than likely going to happen is I'm going to replace the subframe with a new OE version (if needed). Disk brakes up front, as much of a suspension upgrade as I can afford and an LS1 with a T56 behind it.

It is going to be more of a street car than anything but I would like to be competent at a track every now and then.

Holy shit I rule!
    Spent about 4 more hours on it today.

I did some more cleaning/rust checking on the interior and found some that is probably patch-able but I might just replace those sections of the floor pan. Each side of the floor pan costs about $70 for a replacement. I also took off the front clip, subframe, and doors.

From a quick inspection, the subframe really isn't that bad. Although someone did a shit hack job in the driver side rail under where the core support mounts. It isn't in any really structural place so not a huge deal and can be repaired pretty easily. Might save me 1k-2k in a replacement.

And I wiped the windshield down with a wet paper towel, probably the biggest improvement of the day!

Pictures:

Entense Supporter
    How much time do you have dedicated to this daily/weekly?

Quote Originally Posted by HipHoptimus View Post
    Hold on can't hear you, kicking this bee's nest.
    hilux.LA

Holy shit I rule!
    If I really push it 3 hours a night but can do 1-2 comfortably. I work 8-5PM Monday-Friday then hang out with my wife and daughter until they go to sleep around 8:30-9 and I tend to stay up until about midnight. I have good lighting in the garage so its not bad working at night. Also if I don't have anything to do on lunch I can spend another hour in there midday since I work from home. Weekends it can go from no time at all to all day it just depends on what we have planned.

I'll probably slow down a lot when I start actually doing body work though due to lack of skill and money. I don't have much experience (almost none) in body work and I'm only okay at welding. I plan on picking up some cheap body panels from a junk yard to practice doing clean work before attempting it on the car. Also I fully expect to cut off the quarter panels and find a ton of rust damage, I hope not, but I'm sure I will. If that is the case I will be replacing a lot of metal in there and that adds up quick. I have about another $1500 in disposable cash to dump into metal which will easily cover the quarter panels (2 of them, $350 each), floor pans (2 of them, $80 each) and hopefully anything I find when the quarter panels are off. Most of the other panels are around the $50 a piece range.

Legit.

Holy shit I rule!
    Easter, Jury Duty and a bunch of projects at work all lining up perfectly to keep me away from the car the past few days. Hopefully get back to it on Thursday.

Holy shit I rule!
    (04/02/2016)

Didn't get to do a ton today but got the trunk lid off, cleared the parts out of the trunk, cleaned up a little, and put the rear of the car on jack stands.

Now that the trunk is cleaned out it looks like someone just took a piece of sheet metal and panel adhesive'd it into place in the trunk.

Agenda for the weekend, get the rear end and leaf springs off. If I have time drop the fuel tank.

Annnnd pictures:

Last edited by Skitz; 4/03/2016 at 2:10 am.

Holy shit I rule!
    Had some friends over for dinner today so didn't get much done. Got the rear window out though. Hopefully can spend a few hours tomorrow to get the rear end off of the car.

Holy shit I rule!
    Didn't get to the gas tank because while I was moving the rear end I looked at my DD and saw one of the windows was rolled down. Its a 10 year old car and I've put probably 10 window regulators in it, starting to get annoying. The last one that broke I just put a 2x4 in the door and screwed it down, so I did the same for this window until a new regulator comes in. I may order both regulators this time to get it all back up and running.

That said, got the rear end out today. I had to be creative with getting it from under the car to the side yard. I ended up setting one side of it on my creeper and the other side on the jack then pulled it into the driveway and through the RV gate.

Have some pictures!

Holy shit I rule!
    Didn't feel like I got enough done this weekend so I went at the fuel filler neck. It took way too long to get it off because somehow the previous owner put the hose clamp on backwards so I couldn't get a screwdriver on it. I had to use a combination of needle nose pliers, tin snips, and a chisel/hammer to cut the hose clamp then pulled the filler neck out of the top with a LOT of wiggling.

Entense Supporter
    i think your amount of pictures here not only raped my computer, but it raped me.
    BEAST IS THE BEST AND HE'S AWESOME AND I ALSO SUCK ASS

Holy shit I rule!
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidal View Post
    i think your amount of pictures here not only raped my computer, but it raped me.
    Sorry, fixed it for you.

Holy shit I rule!
    Been planning a camping trip for this upcoming weekend so I have been getting the truck up to 100% for the trip. That means nothing going on this week for the car. I ordered some tools from Eastwood to do some paint striping. Just sitting outside thinking about what to do next.

that's awesome and I love the aesthetics of the 68 camaro like the one you linked to from the lines to the seamless grill all the way across the front
    don't work on cars so I can't fully appreciate all the work, but I do enjoy seeing tearing stuff down and rebuilding and hopefully a finished product

are you also posting this on a camaro forum? I'd imagine you'd get way more feedback/ideas on there

Holy shit I rule!
    Got back from camping alive! (it was great)

Came back to the tools I ordered being here, they are paint stripping materials so I can see just how bad everything may be under that paint/rust. I probably wont do anything on it today or tomorrow since my family didn't go camping with us and I want to catch up on hanging out with them.

Quote Originally Posted by AftermatH View Post
    that's awesome and I love the aesthetics of the 68 camaro like the one you linked to from the lines to the seamless grill all the way across the front
    don't work on cars so I can't fully appreciate all the work, but I do enjoy seeing tearing stuff down and rebuilding and hopefully a finished product

are you also posting this on a camaro forum? I'd imagine you'd get way more feedback/ideas on there
    Yeah I followed that car as he was building it, there are some things I don't like or want on it but for the most part, that is what I'm going for. He took 4 years to build it, had infinitely more money, and an actual shop available so I don't expect to ever get close or be anywhere near as fast building it. There was a Camaro up for sale on craigslist a few years ago that I kept the pictures for that is closer (similar but not as super custom) to what I'm going for: http://imgur.com/a/Gf3cs

I am tracking the build on Team Camaro's forum as well. It is pretty much a copy/paste of this thread except for the specific questions/comments/advice from Camaro people.